The chip, and long term reliability

DanielP

TDI
Golf TDi GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
Ok, I got my new Golf TDi, and love it to death... now I am being told by eveyone to "chip" it for better performance (although I find the performance quite fine, considering the fuel economy). But I am wondering about the effects of this higher performance on long term reliability. I mean, I want to keep this car for 10 to 12 years, and don't want to burn it out prematurely.

Is there any side effect (specifically on reliability) that results from the higher performance of a chipped TDi?

An analogy is "living hard" but not as long (like rock&rollers of the 70's). Will my TDI live hard with a chip, and therefore die young?

Thanks,

Dan

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
If I remember right, UP and WETT say a %5 reduction in engine life with the chip, 285,000 miles instead of 300,000 suposedley. The thing that is potentially hardest on the engine is the driver.

-Jack

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I would think that if you kept up with your maintenance items and compensated the best that you can for the stresses that are going to applied to the components then longevity would be no problem. Understandably, not everyone is a mechanical engineer and has access to the countless books of data that have been compiled over the ages but common sense goes a long way in maintaining any machine.

I would plan on doing more frequent oil changes due to the soot compounding that will occur with a chip. Timing belts and serpentine belts take on greater stresses from the power pulses that are greater with a performance boosted engine. Cylinder pressures can be greater which has the potential to overburden gaskets and seals. I'm sure there are a gazillion parameters that aren't obvious to the average "Joe driver" that could potentially fail with a chipped TDI.

With this being said,,, DO IT!!! You'll love it /images/graemlins/grin.gif . Just pay attention to compressor surge and don't abuse the thing.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
If you do chip (remember me from Quebec forum fiesta), you should install a boost gauge and something similar to a Dawes Device to regulate the boost spikes.

I remind you that you don't have to chip.

You could also go to bigger nozzles (better drivability) or an evry mod (resistance on the fuel pump).

The choice is yours! /images/graemlins/grin.gif