Upgrade Rods w/out Pulling Engine?

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Hey guys quick question here, ive got a 2003 jetta alh ive been slowly building as time and finances allow. Right now Im running the stock turbo, rc3, 2.5in straightpipe exhaust from turbo back, frontmount intercooler and upgraded piping (no leaks :D), pp764's pd150 manifold etc. Ive also upgraded the drivetrain with performance shocks and struts, drilled and slotted brakes, rear sway bar, bushings, .658 5th and 15spoke gti 17" wheels. So ive got a gtc1549vz that ive built adapter plates, 1z manifold and stuff so it will work on the engine. Im looking to get at least 180hp out of this thing but I want it to be reliable. Im thinking if I have to pull all the stuff off the backside of the head to install the turbo, I might as well pull the head off and have my machinist buddy port it and rebuild the head then put arp studs in it. I will also put a cam in it while im there. My main question I guess is while I have the head off to work on it, is it possible to put upgrade rods in as well, (without pulling the engine) and should I mess with the rings or anything while im in there? my car has 230k on it doesnt use much oil. Thanks

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
I might as well pull the head off and have my machinist buddy port it and rebuild the head then put arp studs in it. I will also put a cam in it while im there. My main question I guess is while I have the head off to work on it, is it possible to put upgrade rods in as well, (without pulling the engine) and should I mess with the rings or anything while im in there?
There's no point for any of that work with 180hp.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
all other comments aside, fyi if you pull the head, to get the pistons and rods out you pull the pan, you can now get them out.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok well I know it wouldnt be too bad to pull the pan and head if i already had the turbo off. I was concerned with the balance being off though since the rods are of course aftermarket. I had heard that 180hp is the limit of stock rods but if I can get away with 180 without having to build it that would be great. So how much boost would be necessary for 180? Thanks for the input here!

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
You can see beyond 200hp with boost coming in a higher rpm. A friend of mine has r520 injectors set at stage 2 with a gtb2260 plus over sized valves and colt stage 3 cam. Has to be over 220hp and running over 35lbs. Has not blow yet and I know he has atleast 5k or more on that set up.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow ok im assuming thats a stock engine then? After hearing the replies here, im almost thinking I could ask my tuner to set it up for 190hp but honestly if i could get 180 reliably i would be super happy. Especially if I dont have to spend at least 1000$ on rods, head work, studs, and a cam being on a college kid budget. I know ive got at least 8000$ in this thing so this is great news!

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I was around 180hp with a vnt17 10mm injection pump pp764 nozzles 3bar map and stage 4 Malone tune. I did install arp head studs just for peace and mind.

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
12.9 head bolts might be a good insurance with low budget. You can buy ARL bolts and cut them to fit ALH. These can be changed one by one without removing head.

sltlytwkd

TDI
03 jetta
I made 210hp with a stock 260k mile ALH with the car in my sig. I did do arp studs by swapping them one at a time for insurance. Head has never been off the car in its life.. save your money bud!

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Before I did the arp studs I pulled the head off just to have it checked. 275k miles at the time when I did my performance work. Thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea. Machine shop said the couldn’t believe how straight and flat it was for that milage. Got a new vw head gasket and put it all back together. Over 20k after and runs like a champ.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
I really appreciate this. My friends at work helped me finish tig welding a custom outlet onto my gtc1549vz so i can directly hook the intercooler piping into the turbo. Already finished the adapter plate fro the 1z manifold and the 2.5" exhaust outlet flange. trying to source some oil feed and return lines and and ill just bolt it on and drive it! Would you recommend supporting to turbo with a bracket or can i just let it hang on the manifold?