Screamin turbo

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Over the weekend I helped a friend purchase a 2002 Golf tdi manual. Car is 100% stock with only 155k on it. I'm going to help him go through the car, like timing belt and such. One thing I noticed is if you really lay into it and it's boosting, the turbo just screams at you. But only under max boost request. Driving it like a granny and it's quiet.
I pulled the turbo inlet off, and it's definitely by far the most wobbly turbo shaft I've ever seen. Was curious as to why such a low mileage car that's stock has such a worn turbo already. We're going to replace it, but it still baffles me that it's that worn.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Maybe someone ran 15w-40 or some other conventional oil in it...or it's just a random mechanical failure. Hard to say w/o knowing history. A run low/out of oil situation and the turbo is often first to suffer. Oil pan been replaced??

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pan looks original. Had the valve cover off to see why it was leaking, wasn't tight all the way. But found the cam and followers are also OK. Don't know how fast they wear out if you have low oil. Did look like the oil was always ran right to the oil change interval. Was a bit dirtier inside the head than I've seen other tdi's. I'm banking on wrong oil used.

Where the prior owner took it was a hole in the wall vw shop, but they said to scrap the car because they thought the shifter bushings were worn... When in reality it needs a new master cylinder.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Mine at that mileage was overboosting from being coked up and I’m guessing it went out of balance from all the carbon or bad air flow and messed up the shaft. Oil is quite black in mine too. I got another turbo in and have been winding out the gears and zooming around full boost and roasted all my mounts and maybe clutch trying to clean it out. Too much city lugging I guess might do the turbo in

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The guy we picked up the car from said he just had the intake off and cleaned by the same said shop. After the intake cleaning he said he stated hearing that noise. Any possibility of gunk from the intake ports getting ran through and fudging up the turbo?

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Was the intake cleaned due to a long term boost problem caused by a clogged intake that was ignored at the expense of the turbo shaft? That’s my guess.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Intake clean off car should have done no harm. I say why ask why, you're ahead of the game knowing what it is.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I assume the intake was cleaned due to typical buildup. Was told the EGR valve was replaced due to it weeping oil. Its evident that it is a new valve. I'm betting it was wrong oil. Seen what happens when you run 15w40 in these already with that wvo NB I overhauled... We're just going to put it together and park it until we can get another turbo on it. Projects, am I right?