ECM Repair

zicky

TDI
2002 Jetta 5 spd 300,000+ Miles
Where can I go to get my ECM repaired. I have a 2002 Jetta TDI.

zicky

TDI
Sorry for the long answer. Here goes.
Car would start and then die. Would not keep running. Just start then die. Bought Memoscan diagnostic tool to check for codes. Code came up for imobolizer. I trailered car to two dealerships and they couldnt or wouldnt tell me whats wrong. Even tried to tell me intake manifold was pluged. I knew better. Car ran I shut it off next day it would not run. I took it home and bought a manual for the car. I figured computer would not let it get fuel. I located the fuel stop valve for the injecter pump. I checked voltage to the stop valve and nothing. I removed the power wire and jumpered from the battery to the stop valve and car started right up. For grins and giggles I checked the voltage on the power wire for the stop valve and now had 13 volts. I disconnected the jumper and turned car off. I reconnected the power wire to the stop valve and the car started right up. I installed a fused bypass to the stop valve and drove car for year an a half. A couple of time I would have to use the switch to start car but only after it had been turned off. One day wife was driving car to work and it died on her. I used the bypass started the car and drove a few feet and car died again. It will not run long with out the bypass. I figured I had a bad connection so I took every connection apart and checked continuity on the wire and can find nothing wrong with the wireing. All connections are clean and good. All I can figure is an intermitant failure with the ECM.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Car would start and then die. Would not keep running. Just start then die. Bought Memoscan diagnostic tool to check for codes. Code came up for imobolizer. I trailered car to two dealerships and they couldnt or wouldnt tell me whats wrong. Even tried to tell me intake manifold was pluged. I knew better. Car ran I shut it off next day it would not run. I took it home and bought a manual for the car. I figured computer would not let it get fuel. I located the fuel stop valve for the injecter pump. I checked voltage to the stop valve and nothing. I removed the power wire and jumpered from the battery to the stop valve and car started right up. For grins and giggles I checked the voltage on the power wire for the stop valve and now had 13 volts. I disconnected the jumper and turned car off. I reconnected the power wire to the stop valve and the car started right up. I installed a fused bypass to the stop valve and drove car for year an a half. A couple of time I would have to use the switch to start car but only after it had been turned off. One day wife was driving car to work and it died on her. I used the bypass started the car and drove a few feet and car died again. It will not run long with out the bypass. I figured I had a bad connection so I took every connection apart and checked continuity on the wire and can find nothing wrong with the wireing. All connections are clean and good. All I can figure is an intermitant failure with the ECM.
pm sent

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I would 100% check and see is it ECU or something else.If you sure that ECU is bad ,best and cheaper option is get used ECU and do Immo delete so ECU will be plug and play.

Did you check main really , called 109 really?
It could be many other thinks does not allow car to run.
One other thing is you needed to fix car at first place , not just run some wire and switch. Those cars are not 80-90 technology , to much current or amps running direct 12V can damage many thing in car.

zicky

TDI
I only used jumper to get car started after that I turned bypass back off. Problem is car won't drive with it off now.Will run without moving but if I drive a few feet it dies. That is what led me to to believe it is a connection problem but cannot find anything there either. You say there could be other things that could cause this. I am open to suggestions!
Thank you for any help you can give.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I only used jumper to get car started after that I turned bypass back off. Problem is car won't drive with it off now.Will run without moving but if I drive a few feet it dies. That is what led me to to believe it is a connection problem but cannot find anything there either. You say there could be other things that could cause this. I am open to suggestions!
Thank you for any help you can give.
It looks like your alternator not charging.
Check how many Volts you get on battery after you start and move out jumper.
You should get at least 13.5 V.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I believe he is jumping 12v to the fuel shut-off valve.
Z- I think you should track down the circuit that's supposed to provide the voltage to the unit and repair it. ECUs don't just go bad very often. It could be a relay, a switch, a fuse or even the wire or connection.

zicky

TDI
Power comes directly from ECU. Connection T121/120 wire T10f/8. I checked the wire from the ECM all the way to the fuel cut off valve.
And yes I jumper to the shut off valve just to get it started.

chasity01

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI Diesel
ECU repair location

I actually called about mine yesterday. 2000 NB TDI automatic. I also live in Indiana. ECU repair now in Marissa Il fixes those. $275 shipped. They will test, repair and ship. I believe it was a 1yr unlimitted mile warranty. (618) 303-6957https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=ecu+repair+marissa+il&gbv=2&oq=ecu+repair+marissa+il&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3...1623.9158.0.9875.21.16.0.5.0.0.188.1870.5j11.16.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..6.15.1714._qITr3C96Ew#Hope this helps. Chas

zicky

TDI
Thank you I will definately call them.
I want to wait to send it in. Hopefully some one on here can give other ideas to check before I do.
Thanks again.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I actually called about mine yesterday. 2000 NB TDI automatic. I also live in Indiana. ECU repair now in Marissa Il fixes those. $275 shipped. They will test, repair and ship. I believe it was a 1yr unlimitted mile warranty. (618) 303-6957Hope this helps. Chas
Thank you I will definately call them.
I want to wait to send it in. Hopefully some one on here can give other ideas to check before I do.
Thanks again.
It s just waste of the time and money. I have number of the people went this route and on the end they replace ECU.
Also it will be same price or even cheaper replace ECU including Immo delete.

Last edited:

zicky

TDI
So you reccomend a used ECM. The cheapest new one I found is a little over $1000.00 plus the immo delete.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
car-part.com has them priced all over the place. Be sure to match the part no. with the one from your car.
$150-$200 is a great price.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I sure hope that the proper steps have been taken to make sure the ECU is the problem because 99% of the time it isn't.

zicky

TDI
I replaced the ECM 2 months ago. Starting issues are gone. Thanks jetta ,97 for the ecm!
Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
If you want to jump the fuel shut-off valve, a safe option is to remove the ECU wire to the valve and then jump the valve to 12V.

Is the key-chip communicating with the ECU?