Soooo, how about a 2006 Jetta 5 spd? Long term durability? reliability?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I had to sadly give up my 2006.5 TDi back in 2010 when it had 42K miles on it. It never gave me a hiccup or a problem and was one of the most all around best cars I have ever owned.

Now, I find myself looking at them again for a daily driver. This one in question is also a 5 speed and a 2006 with 66K miles on it..

But honestly, I don't need problems. I have no problem with doing all the maintenance myself or having one of the gurus do the more difficult stuff at one of the get togethers..

How has it treated you over the really long term… I only had mine for 2 years so I can't really tell.. during that time though it was flawless.

Was going to go for a beetle but the NB is so junky inside, I can't see paying for one when everything falls apart so easily.

Thanks for your opinions, its very much appreciated
Peter

jwreels

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have an 06 Jetta 5pd that I bought brand new. I currently have 80k miles on it.

Problems...
1. I had something with the EGR got out. I can't remember what off the top of my head...dealer fixed for a couple hundred bucks.
2. Sunroof leaked. The drains weren't clogged, the hose had worked itself off the drain enough to leak.
3. Needed an alignment once for far.
4. I have done rear brakes twice.

Thats it. I have done the oil changes \ brake fluid flushes myself. I have the timing belt job to do. I have all the parts for that and will do that in a coming weekend.

Reading on these forums, I seem to have been lucky with virtually no problems.

Also the car is stock.

Last edited:

J/T

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My Jetta 2006 so far I have replaced the flywheel twice, transmission clutch assemble and transmission valve assemble, the erg valve, throttle body, 3 alternators ,heater hose assemble, seatbelt buckle passenger side and all the required maintenance per. VW. So you ask about problems yes Ive had a few. I have so much money tied up in it that I can't afford to get rid of it. I will say stick with the 5 speed manual transmission VWs DSGs are crap.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Purchased new. Now a tad under 200K miles. Repairs (other than normal brakes/oil/tires/etc.) to date:
- Remove & Replace (R&R) engine harness due to chafe.
- R&R Cam & lifters due to PD cam issue.
- R&R DMF Flywheel (+ clutch at the same time).
- EGR just developed a leak.

With that said, I like the car. But, if reliability & avoidance of major service us the objective, by a Honda or Toyota.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Here are the main issues you are guaranteed to have. The original clutch and flywheel(DMF) and the original cam and followers and the EGR cooler. These will on the average go anywheres from 80,000 miles to 160,000 miles. I would buy a well maintained car with 120, to 160,000 miles with these things done with quality parts or if they have not gone then point out they are ready to go and the price will have to be adjusted to suit.

Seppoboy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT, traded due to seat discomfort, hello BMW 328xd
pretty durable

2006 Jetta TDI package 1, purchased new, now 210,000 miles, 5-sp manual. Early in warranty the passenger airbag was replaced when a fault light could not otherwise be cleared. Rear wheel bearing was replaced, but it damaged the wheel hub assembly and replacement bearings wore out quickly until the assembly was replaced. Front wheel bearing replaced at 206k miles. New rotors and pads at 154,000 miles. CD player quit working, seat heaters are blowing a fuse, and I may have the start of EGR leak. I consider this a really good reliability record given the many miles of hard use, but because of my high mileage on lonely roads, will probably replace the car this year. I will miss it, though.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
2006 5 speed, 132K miles. other than normal maintenance:

• Replaced interior light switch panel For bad light switch. The only way you can get the light switch is to buy the entire panel which includes the lights and the sunroof control.
  • At 50K, changed to SMF clutch because I was just so sick and tired of the craptastic DMF clutch engagement.
  • At 88K miles replaced timing belt (normal maintenance) and cam and lifters. Cam was just starting to show the typical BRM signs of wear and probably would have gone to at least 150K miles.
  • Replaced the third brake light. It is LED and you have to replace the entire assembly when it goes bad. Also, when it burns out, it doesn't set off the burnt bulb warning light.
  • Almost forgot, rear brakes at 100K miles. Fronts are at about 50%.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Considering calls/parts sold for all TDIs I'd say the BRM engined A5 cars' repair frequency is on the high side of normal. If I rank-ordered TDIs from most to least repairs it would go B5.5, A5, A4 BEW, A4 ALH, A3/B4 AHU/1Z. I left common rail cars out because they're too new to see patterns.

Long story short, if I were looking for a reliable and lower-repair TDI I'd go first for the best ALH-engined car I could find, next BEW, BRM after that. But of course you've been around TDIs enough that your best answer may be Toyota or Honda.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
2006 Jetta TDI package 1, purchased new, now 210,000 miles, 5-sp manual. Early in warranty the passenger airbag was replaced when a fault light could not otherwise be cleared. Rear wheel bearing was replaced, but it damaged the wheel hub assembly and replacement bearings wore out quickly until the assembly was replaced. Front wheel bearing replaced at 206k miles. New rotors and pads at 154,000 miles. CD player quit working, seat heaters are blowing a fuse, and I may have the start of EGR leak. I consider this a really good reliability record given the many miles of hard use, but because of my high mileage on lonely roads, will probably replace the car this year. I will miss it, though.
I like the answer Indigo can bring to the table here. But most of what can nickle and dime you will show up in the repair records most people keep on these cars. The major repairs must be anticipated as I previously pointed out.

I would buy Seppoboy car only if he knocked off for clutch, cam and cooler which he admits is going and I would bet my last 10,000 dollars it is going. As you can tell by his brake wear it is all easy highway miles on this car and I am not sure what he means by hard miles. Unfortunately the clutch and cam have not been replaced and if he is smart he will trade it in now. If the op is smart he would not buy this car.

Edit: on the other hand O'rattlers car would be a good buy if he would throw in his vac-com.

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
The car I am looking at has 67000 miles on it and is priced at 10,700 (what I managed to get it down to). Package 1 5 speed. Would never consider a DSG. Had the same car for two years back in 2008-2010. Never had an issue but had to sell due to loss of job and that one only had 44k miles on it :(

Oh and it's a 2006. Steel Blue.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Considering calls/parts sold for all TDIs I'd say the BRM engined A5 cars' repair frequency is on the high side of normal. If I rank-ordered TDIs from most to least repairs it would go B5.5, A5, A4 BEW, A4 ALH, A3/B4 AHU/1Z. I left common rail cars out because they're too new to see patterns.

Long story short, if I were looking for a reliable and lower-repair TDI I'd go first for the best ALH-engined car I could find, next BEW, BRM after that. But of course you've been around TDIs enough that your best answer may be Toyota or Honda.
And yeah I thought about the P word (prius) but they bore me to tears and they absolutely suck for any kind of long distance driving.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Indigo, do you have a good handle as to how long the turbo lasts on these cars. Do you see any trends as to mileage on how long the turbo lasts. Their doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why a turbo goes. Have you or anybody else have any thoughts on this.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
And yeah I thought about the P word (prius) but they bore me to tears and they absolutely suck for any kind of long distance driving.
My wife had one for several years. They are wonderful cars. But, your assessment is dead accurate. She preferred driving a slightly modded ALH NB. so we no longer have the car.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I purchased mine new in 06 -151K currently. (DSG not 5spd)

Driver's door wire harness 100K $100
Injector harness 105K $100
DM Flywheel 120K (again DSG) $750 w/install by GreenGeeker
Wheel bearing at 130K $80

Still on factory brakes (front and rear), tires at 68k, Timing belt at 99K

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Indigo, do you have a good handle as to how long the turbo lasts on these cars. Do you see any trends as to mileage on how long the turbo lasts. Their doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why a turbo goes. Have you or anybody else have any thoughts on this.
What usually fails is the actuator, especially in rust belt states. Unfortunately it's not available separately so you then have to replace the turbo. Turbos seem to last 150-200K on these cars assuming proper maintenance and stock or reasonable tuning. Actuators usually fail in 5-7 years, not by mileage so much.

And I didn't suggest a Prius. I was more thinking Camry or Accord.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Just looking at my non-maintenance expenses on 06 5-speed. It was purchased in 2010 with 39K. I am up to 130K now. It has needed a new clutch at 90K and CV joints at 110K. The car had a Rocketchip Stage 1 at 40K, and I don't know how well the previous owner shifted, so I don't know if the clutch issue was related to that. I have needed no other repairs. Maintenance since I have owned it is every 10K oil/filter, yearly air and fuel filters, brakes just once, and timing belt/water pump at 80K. This has been my favorite car in my 40 years of driving and dozens of cars I have owned.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
160K miles when I replaced the car because of a deal I couldn't refuse on a new Passat. One of the very best cars I've ever owned.

Purchased used at 56k miles. Timing belt and associated components at 100k miles. Failed EGR valve and ASV somewhere along the way. No big deal. A spat of alternators until I replaced with a Bosch and the usual leaking shutter on the EGR Cooler. This repaired cheaply and easily.

This car still looked and drove like new for the full time I owned it. It sold at a premium and I'd have it back in a moment. None of the horror stories about a failed DMF, clutch, or anything else. No rust and still great paint.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all your words of positiveness… Decided to get the car Should pick it up next week

Pete

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the 5 speeds a DMF? Or is that just the DSG? Do the 5 speeds have any issues?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
All A5s have DMFs, both manual and automatic. And they all fail. The 5-speed ones had a design error that caused them to overheat and fail. Some last 60K, some 180. But they all fail. All the DSG wheels do, too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
All A5s have DMFs, both manual and automatic. And they all fail. The 5-speed ones had a design error that caused them to overheat and fail. Some last 60K, some 180. But they all fail. All the DSG wheels do, too.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Great driving experience the MkV Jetta TDI 1.9

+1 agree. The MkV Jetta body TDI 1.9 is a great car for a daily driver. My .02 cents.

With barely 120 days as an order/delivery gestation period I'd hit the road in September '06 just time for winter in Vail, Colorado elev 8,300ft. Snow tires were fit to the stock 16" Bioline wheels with a set of 17" GTI alloy wheels w/summer Michelins in waiting.
The Denver VW dealer installed the VW/Eibach springs almost from the start including a more aggressive brake pad material from Pagid. There were a few warranty issues in the first 50,000mile/4 years however nothing memorable. The DSG sees regular 40k miles service intervals (I do the actual work) and has been without any drama throughout the years.

To date its been 125,000 miles over 7+ years or approximately 18,000 a year.
Man,,, that's plenty of school car line ....

The TDI 1.9 DSG has had moderate $$$$ maintenance expenses over the years - but nothing stupid. The car continues to reward with its driving dynamics and its very solid, without rattles. The 1,400 road trip btw Colorado and Georgia, often driven several times a year, is comfortably, safe and the Dynaudio enhanced Navi/stereo passes the time. The car's exterior fit and finish is holding up well looking as good as new with regular "bucket N soapy water" weekend driveway washings; Always garaged. I'd buy the Jetta over again,,, but only in the "loaded" trim level as ordered. In todays dollars $32K is a bargain for this level of equipment; If you could buy it. Not from Volkswagen as a Jetta, not from Audi in the A3 Sportback 4dr. De-content was the Jetta name of the game back in the day . . . .

I had to sadly give up my 2006.5 TDi back in 2010 when it had 42K miles on it. It never gave me a hiccup or a problem and was one of the most all around best cars I have ever owned.

Now, I find myself looking at them again for a daily driver. This one in question is also a 5 speed and a 2006 with 66K miles on it..

Edit/delete....text

Thanks for your opinions, its very much appreciated
Peter

Last edited:

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Peter; In case you missed it & in response to your question:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409380

Or is the the car you are purchasing expecting to repeat?

OP, I would like to comment here although in the overall picture I am not sure of its little value.

That is an interesting add. There are cars out there. GoFaster 2006 Jetta 5 speed is another. I should know, I bought it. I also have a 5 speed 2006 jetta with 207,000 kilometers (129,000 miles) that is putting on miles exactly as ol'rattlers but has had cam replaced under warranty as well as the DMF!( I was lucky, LOL)

What that add shows is that the valve springs may go 460,000 although I have heard second hand someone had a spring break in the low 300,000.

4000 hours is considered infinite spring life and that works out to 240,000 miles. So as far as safety factor goes, who knows but this is a good sign.

The only comment I have is the drivers seat and suspension are shot and considering pending work, the car is not worth 3000.00. But if anyone plans on 5000-10,000 miles per year this is a ????? buy as is, maybe except the way our licensing system works, in my case I had to pay tax on an average whole sale price of 5800, although the car was worth considerably less.
(I thank Bob for the info)

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I might add that I replaced the lower drivers seat cover because the vinyl wore through in one place. There were cheaper alternatives, but nothing that looked 100% OEM..................

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I might add that I replaced the lower drivers seat cover because the vinyl wore through in one place. There were cheaper alternatives, but nothing that looked 100% OEM..................
Yes! My fat arse & typical jeans thereon has caused resulted in a worn & split drivers seat. What cover did you you & source if you do not mind sharing. Thanks.

James, I think that car you purchased from Go Faster is perhaps one of the "magical" BRMs. That was a wise purchase.