Jetta 09 TDI Battery Light turns on then GlowPlug light and Engine shuts off

Aria

TDI
2015 Golf
Hello, I have 09 Jetta TDI that purchased it from VW dealer 3 weeks ago, today I was driving home on the Highway I noticed the Battery light is on, I continued driving since I almost reached home and thought I will check it out at home, right after a few minutes the Glow-plug light turns on for quick moment and then the engine turned off right in middle of the highway and I managed to pulled it in the side of the highway and tow the car to the near VW dealer, need suggestion first need to know what could have happened? and then want to know what is my right and eligibility is since I Just purchased the car as certified preowned Vehicle from Volkswagen Dealer, please help me !!!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Dead alternator? I'd have it towed back to the dealer and see what they have to say. Surely you got a warranty on your CPO VW... I hope.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Most likely a bad alternator clutch. No biggie really, just something we'd rather not have happen.

Heavy draw due to cold and weather. Possibly your aux electric heater demanding power. I assume darkness and the need for lights, blower, etc.

I believe you were set up for the Perfect Storm.

Oh... Very unlikely the dealer would have ever found this problem pre delivery. Only the best of the best would even think of it. Even then a clutch may well be good one day and bad the next.

Aria

TDI
2015 Golf
Thank you all for reply

Last night I tow the car to the near VW dealer, they informed me this morning that diagnosing fee of $110 + Tax will be apply, I approved and let them go ahead and do whatever to find the issue, Then I called the original dealer that I purchased the car and told them what happened, they confirmed that I have 30 days warranty and they will fix it whatever is wrong but they want the car to be towed to their location which is 89 KM away from where my care is now at my cost, I agreed arranged the two truck 9:00 AM and the two truck just show up at 2:25 PM ... I'm very happy if that will be all ... even though towing cost was over $250. I will keep you posted ... Thank you all for the support.

Last edited:

Aria

TDI
2015 Golf
Thank You Crosby Volkswagen in Kitchner Ontario

Corosby Volkswagen dealer in Kitchner Ontario where I purchased the car find out that actually my Tension Belt where broken and they were kind enough to offer to fix it for free, they provide me with Loaner car over the weekend and my car will be ready on Monday.

I would like to Thank You Crosby Volkswagen Management and stuff specially Iyan and Jason for kind customer service and I will recommend to use their service for every VW owners.