Low oil pressure, check engine light, glow plug light???

thomps33

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed with 128,000 miles. The other day I was pulling onto the interstate under hard acceleration just reaching 80mph and my dash lights up like a x-mas tree! Low oil pressure, emissions light, glow plug light is blinking, check engine light is on, and the tach also stopped working (reads 0). I checked the engine oil and all looks fine. The car still runs smooth, but it now has a long crank time to start it (aprox. 7 seconds of cranking).
Any ideas on what could be the culprit? The nearest shop is 80 miles away, so I'm trying to determine if it's safe to drive. Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
If this helps, please make a donation to Fred's to keep the site going.

My suggestion would be to check for harness chafe. While I have not kept count, I think I now know of about 50+ BRM's having this problem. By any chance was it raining of damp out when the X-mas tree lighted up. The easiest thing to check first is a "jiggle test" on the ECU harness just above the battery. Next then open the harness at that wire clamp. & work your way up the harness to you find it. VCDS helps greatly. Photograph all your fuse boxes to record locations before you pull any fuses.

This link might help: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239987

On edit: PS. Do not drive too far, eventually it will get worse & you will loose power & it will "mis-fire".

Last edited: