Door Seal Freezing to Door Jam, how to fix?

gearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Tonight I went to start my 01 Golf and couldnt get the drivers door to open easily an figured it to be frozen. After getting in thru the passenger door, I let the car warm up to melt the ice on the seal/jam.

This is a PIA. Is there a way to prevent this from happening (other than a heated garage)?

TDI914

TDI
03 Jetta Platinum Grey 5sp/ Monterey
Different problem but same topic. My doors got harder and harder to open. My car is a '97 TDI Passat. Several years ago, I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for $300.00 dollars.
The passenger door quit opening about a month ago. I could open it from the inside, but not the outside. So I bought a spray can of WD40 and soaked it good.
It now opens as good as new. It has been cold here now and I have been in a lot of snow, but it still works as new. I can use the $300.00 this Christmas!

C.E.Strain
'02 Montana (hers)
'97 TDI Passat (Mine) 200K and still 49+
http://www.jcknows.org

fincoop

Veteran Member
If it is in fact freezing, you need to lubricate all seals monthly. You can use anything but it should be silicone based. Keep silicone away from your intake as it does not jive with the MAF. Oil based products will make the rubber swell, dry out and crack. It's hard to apply the spray and not get any on the car so I usually do mine right before a car wash.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Thats why I HATE cars with doors that wrap around to the roof. I will never buy another one. I love my Beetle because it isn't like that. The window frame is inside of the side of the car. I was bumbed when I noticed that the Jetta and Golf have those wrap arounds. Does the Passat?