Cold Engine, Oil Pressure Light

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
On Friday and Saturday, hardly cold days, my oil pressure light (and alarm came on). I checked my oil level and whereas it is a little on the low side, why would it all of a sudden, i.e. the last couple of days, start giving the oil pressure light and alarm? Any one else experience this problem? I turn the car off and start it again and the alarm and light do not come back on. I am thinking of adding 100 mL at a time to bring the level up to where it ought to be. Any insight would be most helpful, thanks!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
The old A2/3 gassers used to do something like this. If you don't have an oil pressure gauge handy, I would probably just change the sensor (they were really cheap on the old cars....). Cold engine oil pressure should be very high, so I don't think it's a serious problem.....

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
oil pressure

Did you have your oil changed lately.Check for the oring on the filter cap,the small one on the bottom could be missing or split.Just a thought,hope your oil pressure is ok.Could be sender and or connections
TDIFred said:
On Friday and Saturday, hardly cold days, my oil pressure light (and alarm came on). I checked my oil level and whereas it is a little on the low side, why would it all of a sudden, i.e. the last couple of days, start giving the oil pressure light and alarm? Any one else experience this problem? I turn the car off and start it again and the alarm and light do not come back on. I am thinking of adding 100 mL at a time to bring the level up to where it ought to be. Any insight would be most helpful, thanks!

imkemfly

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta Dark Green
I had a slightly different problem as my oil light and alarm would come on after about 12 min of driving. I suspected it could be the sensor but I bought a gauge to be sure. The way it is supposed to work is no light or alarm for 2-3 seconds after start. If the light and alarm is on immediatally then it is possibally disconnected. I took my connector to the sensor off while I was checking and the alarm and light came on immediatally. As stated above cold oil equals higher pressure. At idle the sensor is supposed to sense .75 bar but mine was near 1 bar. The ECU checks the pressure again around 2k rpm and if it doesn't see around 2.4 bar it will sound an alarm and light again. Mine was running 2.5 bar. I am at the end of an oil change. I'll be changing the oil again in about 200 miles.

Hope this helps.....

2001 Jetta Mostly Stock

hvcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Had this problem in November...came on shortly after driving only a few clicks and once when I got onto the hwy...anyhow replaced the sensor (~$30)from the dealer + some dielectric and hasn't been on since.
The first couple of times I'd stop and check the oil, but oil still registered on the stick...afterwards, I just stopped and started the car again.
Funny thing was that it only happend in morning:confused:.

Still planning on getting the car tested...some day :eek:...and/or some gauges.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it stopped after I put in a bit more oil. one of those things that happens after car has been running for a few seconds, like a CEL.
As for recent oil change, not really, it was a few months back and I did it myself. O-ring could be problem but why just now. I will monitor the situation, thanks for the suggestions.

blowinsmoke

TDI
05 Jetta wagon, giac, koni, eibach and Team 1.2's, 3/4 ton 6.2 PU W/BAnks kit, Suburban 6.2, MB 220
Thanks!!! I had the same problem Saturday night on my newly aquired Eco diesel...the alarm scared the sh!t of me then I see the oil light :eek: .I pulled over and checked the oil, which was fine and noticed it only happed at around 2000rpm plus. I have not driven the car yet as I want to do the mechanical test, that way I know for sure. Sure sounds like the switch.

Great forum with lots of info...thanks

blowinsmoke

TDI
05 Jetta wagon, giac, koni, eibach and Team 1.2's, 3/4 ton 6.2 PU W/BAnks kit, Suburban 6.2, MB 220
:D YES, it was just the switch...I replaced both and am all :D

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
which is where? my alarm went off again today so I stopped the car and restarted and it did not come back on. maybe my switch is pooched

imkemfly

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta Dark Green
I've been driving my car for about a week now and I haven't seen hide nor hair of a light or alarm. Mine is fixed. It was the switch. Good luck I'd bet switch.;)

imkemfly

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta Dark Green
Yea the first time mine went off about a year ago I added some more oil and it didn't happen again. But in December it happened again and was happening more often every time I drove the car. I just didn't want to take a chance that it might be low oil pressure. Once I confirmed that I wanted to fix the problem once and fore all, so I replaced the switch. The pressure switch from worldimpex was 13.55 so it was worth the peace of mind to me. Good luck!

imkemfly

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta Dark Green
On the 2001 it is located to the left of the oil filter. It is sticking right in the side of the filter housing. You can't miss it it is the only connector there if i remember right.

imkemfly

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta Dark Green
I went to advance auto and bought a transmission / oil pressure testing outfit. It came with two gauges and a nice long hose and a ton of adaptors. I think it was about 57 dollars and well worth the peace of mind. If you have to bently just follow that, but my previous post with the pressures and such came from the bently more or less. The testing was straight forward. I removed the pressure switch and inserted the hose with the gauge and the hose was long enough to allow you to sit in the drivers seat and read the gauge at the same time. You will be able to hold the gauge in your hand. :D

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
according to the manual, the pressure should be checked at 2000 rpm, oil temp around 80f, and it should be 2.0 bar. Hope that helps. (at least for my car, I'm an ALH)