Is this worth it

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
I have an old mk4 golf tdi estate and it's been a good old car apart from some wear and tear stuff, had never let me down but..

Would like to convert it to auto as I'm sick of changing gears. My other car is an old Merc C200k auto estate but in a way prefer the golf but driving the Merc really like the laziness of the auto.

Is it feasable or don't bother.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
It is doable. I would say find someone who really wants a manual conversion and tackle both cars together.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That was one heck of an article, and really sums up why I've never been sold on self driving cars. Thanks for the share man

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"really like the laziness of the auto" stucbr

Driving a motor vehicle is easily the most dangerous thing we do.
You should be paying attention ALL the time. 4 limb engagement
is the key, frankly if you're lazy behind the wheel, you shouldn't be
operating one. Everyone knows someone who's been killed on the roads.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I think the point was he was tired of driving a stick, not to start an argument about how attentive we should be on the road.... To answer your original question, you'd be better off buying a car that's already an auto, as you would need to swap several harnesses.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I think the point was he was tired of driving a stick, not to start an argument about how attentive we should be on the road.... To answer your original question, you'd be better off buying a car that's already an auto, as you would need to swap several harnesses.

Call me old school, but there are a LOT of people on the roads that
IMO shouldn't be. The dumbing down of the driver with computer
aided "assistance" leads to exactly the situations that the writer
references.

The recent Boeing 737 crashes are a case in point.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, {;o)

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
Excatly as I know quite a lot of folk I know including an uncle in England and all the family I have in NJ who all drive auto's.

And yes as I too said above, ie it's not when I think about it's not worth the grief, sell and get an auto.

Last edited:

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
Call me old school, but there are a LOT of people on the roads that
IMO shouldn't be. The dumbing down of the driver with computer
aided "assistance" leads to exactly the situations that the writer
references.

The recent Boeing 737 crashes are a case in point.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, {;o)
Oh ffs shut up :rolleyes:

Yes get of the soap box and stay off :rolleyes:

I'll say this though, there could medical reasons why some folk drive them or like me they just prefer them, but I don't need to justify myself to you end of!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
yeah, stripping down a couple beetles for the harness and engine bits before sending them off to the crusher, and jeez if it don't take a full day's work, yanking on the plastic and cutting the harnesses where they go off to places I don't care about

I'd hate to do it on a couple cars I'd want driving again. :p

In the europe aren't those cars getting pretty long in the tooth and therefore dirt cheap now?
Much easier to put in a few hours overtime at work and buy you a 4motion automatic.