Shuddering issue

Ariel25

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum so i apologize if my newbie shows. I have a 2000 Jetta TDI & ive done the repairs on it myself. I've recently done an oil change, AC delete, new battery, new glow plugs, & fuel pump. She's doing this thing where if she sits at an idle or you're coming to a stop, it feels like its shuddering. If i'm at a stop itll feel like she's going to die but then will even itself out then start again. I'm new to diesels in general & have no idea what this means. Does any one have any idea or have dealt with this before? any help would be greatly appreciated!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Welcome to TDIClub! To get a better response and follow-up I would suggest posting your issue in this sub-forum for your 2000 Jetta TDI:

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)
This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Last edited:

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum so i apologize if my newbie shows. I have a 2000 Jetta TDI & ive done the repairs on it myself. I've recently done an oil change, AC delete, new battery, new glow plugs, & fuel pump. She's doing this thing where if she sits at an idle or you're coming to a stop, it feels like its shuddering. If i'm at a stop itll feel like she's going to die but then will even itself out then start again. I'm new to diesels in general & have no idea what this means. Does any one have any idea or have dealt with this before? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have access to vagcom (vw/audi diag program)? This is going to be crucial for any kind of tdi troubleshooting. It sounds to me based on that description that your IQ is set too low. You might find some more info by searching for "tdi slow down shutter" its a common issue. Do no under any circumstance try to do the "hammer mod" to adjust IQ by ear or without vagcom, you will make more problems for yourself.

Another thing to check is the clear fuel line that runs from the fuel filter to the injection pump in the engine bay. When the car is idling can you see lots of bubbles in the line? Some smaller bubbles are normal but if there is a constant stream of "foam" or large air pockets / bubble your injection pump is sucking air in from somewhere. This obviously creates gaps in fuel getting to the engine and can cause hesitation or almost stalling out / shuttering.

If you don't have access to vagcom look locally maybe there are other tdiclub members who have it and would be able to help you out.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time I highly recommend you shell out the money on getting vagcom and the cable.

Also as tikal said, you will have better luck posting this question either in your generation specific sub-forum.