Loose thudding sound after a stall (sound clip)

crdc

TDI
2000 Golf IV AJM
Hey all

I recently picked up a used Golf 4 AJM.

The first thing that felt weird in actual use was this specific jolt in 1st gear. It only happens while the revs are dropping and pass around 1.5-1.3k rpm. Only occurs in 1st gear when it passes that mark while dropping.

Overall it seems to hold up well, so far at least. Bit rough character that I liked since trying it :confused: but it's weirdest moments are when taking off unless you go full granny mode on it. Once it's off it goes though, but it's as if it really tries to stall sometimes so I now move out a bit hard from stops. Was worried something was ****ed from day 1, but it lives.

Now speaking of stalls, earlier I had this really nasty one happen at a crossing :eek: felt like the entire engine wanted to jump out of the bay. Someone threw me off so I'm not too sure what went down, something was loud enough to scare and piss off a drunk person outside though.

As soon as I continued from that point I noticed this knocking type of sound with a loose feel to it. Later on I figured it's related to the movement of the engine. It's coming from the front left side where your left calf would be. Biased towards the lower area but not completely under the car.
Basically I think any kind of forward movement that causes a non-gradual shift in mass will produce the sound once. Up shifts and acceleration make it come out the most unless it's 100% smooth. It sounds pretty much the same every time with the same rhythm. Can't produce it by turning, and idling and revving has no effect on it. Most noticeable in gears 1,2,3. No other side effects apart from that.

Here's what I managed to record with the phone sorry about the quality, it always comes out muffled like this on record I've tried several positions. It's that door handle sounding thing. You can hear it first at 03 secs, that's after a shift. Many more at :16 - that's from light taps in 2nd gear
https://instaud.io/private/93abaa7c16128916d91c70ae181205f29574166f

In real life it really feels like something is loose when it does this, at one point I was trying to figure out what was making it and it sounded like something more against the underside that time, as if something dropped, but it continued in the same style nevertheless.

Granted, I've actually heard this sound before like 2 or 3 odd times. It just became relevant after that stall though.

Any ideas as to what this is guys?

Last edited:

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Could it be the lower torque mount maybe? Thats getting bad on my car, and sounds about the same.

This one:

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GL Manual Jetta Wagon
Could it be the lower torque mount maybe? Thats getting bad on my car, and sounds about the same.

This one:

I had similar symptoms and last night found the bolt that secures the dogbone to the transmission had worked itself out and had deformed the rubber bushing. Just placed an order with idparts including a new dogbone and bolts to fix that and a couple other things this weekend.

Last edited:

crdc

TDI
2000 Golf IV AJM
aah I think that must be it, gonna replace it

Thanks for the inputs