ALH Rebuild

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
Hi there,
Has a few questions about my ALH Rebuild after a tragic water pump/timing belt replacement failure lol . My questions are I had to have my block bored for the .5mm oversized pistons and I was going to order rosten H beam rods or IE H beam rods to go with the oversized pistons. Is it necessary to upgrade the rods with the oversized pistons or is stock rods ok.? Another thing is I opted for the the oil pump upgrade with my Rebuild kit (stock oil pump with smaller sprocket and chain I believe) for slightly higher oil pressure, and was wondering if anybody has any issues with this setup. And lastly I read that when installing oversized position it was beneficial to upgrade the oil Jets from a BHW I believe for better oiling.. and if so would the pump upgrade take care of the oiling or should I replace the Jets? Thank you ..no heavy mods so far just egr And cooler delete with bosio PP520 nozzles.also the car is a 5spd future build is bigger turbo etc...

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
Stock rods are good. There is no benefits from bigger oil flow. But if you like to change parts just for fun, go for it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if you plan on putting some serious power down to the tires or have a smoking hot deal on the rods, go for it. otherwise spend it on a tune or a turbo. ALH can do something like 220hp before you even start to think about rods.
Higher oil pressure will result in more oil spraying from the journal bearing. A scavenge pump and or metering orifice is best to help with this. What kind of higher pressures? +5? +15?

If your going with power mods, go for the oil jets,
AH? WH...WHAT? 520? you mean 502? 520's are HUGE, larger than 764's and im putting 230 to the tires with my 764's. You need to seriously watch your EGT's. you can easily see 1800+ in a hear beat when you put it down unless you have a tamed tune to control smoke and EGTS.

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
Thank you and no not really lol... First engine rebuild and was reading up on. It...how far can you go with mods before the stock rods exceed their ratingz I guess .... Do plan on building up in the future but nothing super crazy

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
You are correct. PP502's for the nozzles. As for the oil pressures I couldn't give a value what the increase would be. It's called the BRM oil pump upgrade . Basically alh pump with a smaller 23 tooth sprocket and chain instead of the alh larger 30 tooth sprocket . So for the increase in volume/pressure the pump is turning over at a faster rate at idle and was not sure if there was any known problem.s with this setup. And back to the rods can they be fully overhauled as far as all the bushings bearings etc.. my rods have over 300k miles on them. As far a future modz, nothing insane just turbo, tune And a clutch for the basics and that should be good for a while lol thank you for the responses

Last edited:

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so you blew the motor, i doubt with what happened and what your saying you want too many more than stock HPs. that block may be about its limits.

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
Well didn't blow... But some how the crank got turned and went un- noticed during a timing belt job and broke a valve into the #1 cylinder...

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
Last edited:

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
I looked at my records for my car.. they are Bosio PP 520.. I assumed I had my numbers backwards but didn't lol they are 520

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
WHOOPS, my mistake 764's are larger yes.
I am running 230 HP on stock internals with 360K miles on the clock, 110 of those are at 150hp and the last 10K is at 230. no issues other than blowing coolant out the head from too much boost and too many over heatings warping the block. DONT CARE! still autocrosses! with a gt2052 with a custom tune from malone, before and after the tune, EGT's are a target to watch for at WTO after a few seconds. on the stock turbo i burned it up within 2 pulls, i saw 2300*F and that was it, turbo melted! got the gt2052 and now its manageable, the tune made it roll coal, dont care, love it, AUTOCROSS, smokes out the porsches and makes good times.

point is, EGT's are no joke and need to be monitored.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
At least 350hp with stock CR and 450hp with dropped CR.
They are only 5x0.260mm...
EGT´s are higher with too small nozzles, and especially with 7 hole nozzles. You will always need custom tune for changed parts, EGT "problem" will be solved there.
don't bother trying to educate mongler

he's stuck in the mindset of needing to spend money on shiny unnecessary junk, and that drop in garbage tunes are worthwhile

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
don't bother trying to educate mongler
he's stuck in the mindset of needing to spend money on shiny unnecessary junk, and that drop in garbage tunes are worthwhile

No..not stuck in that mindset of "shiny unnecessary junk".that's why I'm here asking here in the form... Unfortunately my stock rods are bent when the valve dropped in the cylinder. So I need new rods . I never rebuilt a motor before and only asked questions that I have read about ... Not because I want them..I'm perfectly fine with stock parts but I didn't know if a turbo, tune and power adders would exceed the capabilities of stock internals and if it would, might as well get what is needed now while the engine is tore down. I didn't come here to get trash talked. I came here for knowledge

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dude, read better, hes talking about me, not you. And ignore this bs
I never said or encouraged anything that he just said. I've always promoted malone for a tune and swayed away from cheep tuning boxes. I also do what's appropriate for me and my car but always suggest quality and cost effectiveness over flash chinesium.
Please provide detailed where I suggested any of that nonsense.