Key stolen for 2015 Golf. Need advice

Paramingus

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
My wife's purse containing the key fob for our 2015 Golf was stolen out of our other car while parked in our driveway. We don't think whoever did this will try to come back to steal the car, but don't like the idea that it could happen. Still in a fog over the whole situation, so was hoping to get some advice on what to do next. Is doing everything at the dealership the only/best option? I see Rockauto sells key fobs but I guess what would need to be done about the laser cutting and reprogramming? Any advice would be helpful!

Datalore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI- SOLD, 2000 VW Beetle ALH- SOLD, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE DSG
I just bought a new key for my GSW last week from my local VW dealer. It was $145 for the key itself and $60 for the programming. You might be able to buy a key somewhere online for less, but why risk it to save $10? The key programming MUST be done at a Volkswagen dealer and takes about 30 minutes.

I would disconnect the battery (or otherwise immobilize it) for now then have it towed to your local VW dealer to have them reprogram a key. They will also have the blade made for the key themselves. It actually is milled and isn't laser cut as many, myself included, have been lead to believe.

It's also worth noting that there might be some sort of $15 or $25 coupon you could use for the key and programming. Doesn't hurt to ask or look around. Best of luck!

Dubin20th

TDI
2015 Jetta
If you have a second key, take the car to the dealer and have them reprogram the key. It will disable any other key not programmed again so they can't run the car, they still can open/unlock the vehicle but will not start and run.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
We did that when we lost the key to our Corolla. That is the beauty of the immobilizer. If you need to program a new key, any other keys you have will not be paired with the car anymore, so they need to be reprogrammed at the same time the new key is.

With something like 4,000 codes it makes the car very secure. The old key will still unlock the door so don't leave anything of value in the car.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I assume they can reprogram the remote entry.

And odds are good the person that stole it won't know where to find the hidden key hole.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I believe any shop that has access to ODIS can program keys. Last I looked I thought it was $250 or so for mk7 keys programmed, could be wrong.

Agreed they need to program all keys at once so you can either program one key and it'll "void" the old one (except for the key blade) or buy a new one and have them program both of them.