Help removing Double Din radio

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Tried to remove the Monsoon from the 03 Gold last night to hook up a Blitzsafe adapter for the XM setup.

I have the proper keys. Found a post on the Vortex telling exactly how to do it. Inserted the keys properly.

Darn thing won't budge. Before I take it to a stereo shop or the dealer to pull the stereo ($$$), does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA. Bruce

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If you wanted to increace the PITA factor, you could take the console then the glove box out to see what's going on back there

STUPID QUESTION: You've tried the keys both ways? AIRC The DD keys are different on the top and bottom.

-J

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Had to partially pull the glovebox to attach the Pro-Fit mount for the XM. Not too bad.

I can pull the center console, but I really don't want to.

The post on the Vortex said the long side of the keys go toward the outside of the radio. No instructions in the Bentley manual for the DD radio.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My sympathies !!! I also could not budge the radio (non-monsoon) from my 2003... BTW I also had a collision last year and the lousy body shop (at a "reputable" local dealership) had to replace the dashboard... I suspect they screwed up something inside there...

Yuri.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
i removed mine to install Ipod (see pics under same name in Photos). i went to the dealer to use their keys and it was free, (i asked to do it, and the guy was helpful). found that it is easier with 2 people, or if you are lucky enough to have 4 hands... and you have to kinda push out on the key as you pull (if i remember correctly, was in Sept.04)

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Just pull them out and reinsert them, all four, again...one at a time. You will feel each one lock in place. If it doesn't lock in place, you have probably put the radio removal key in incorrectly.) After each one is locked in place, put your hand into the tape section of the radio and PULL hard on the radio. It will come right out. (Be prepared for it to move quickly once it is released and it is also quite heavy.)

I posted photos of this proceedure in the photo section of this site under my screen name, eyetdiman

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
>>You will feel each one lock in place. If it doesn't lock in place, you have probably put the radio removal key in incorrectly.)<<

Unless someone screwed up the radio tabs, as I suspect was done on my car... I can't have put in the tools incorrectly that many times!! (Herm tried, as well... no locking!!! But I do get a weird scraping noise from a couple of the tabs...)

Yuri. (hoping that his problems are at the antenna end...)

dvsails

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 05 TDI Wagon
But I do get a weird scraping noise from a couple of the tabs...)
That scraping sound tells me that the tool misses the lock.
I've had that problem at the top left corner. Bet ya the tool doesn't lock in the slots where it scrapes?
Those are the ones you have to play with by bending the tool up or down before inserting it.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
New set of keys here from IMPEX. Will try again when I can get my hands on the car for an hour or two to complete the XM install.

Stay tuned.....

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your post... yes, that's possible...

Fortunately (?), my problem turned out to be a bad antenna base (amp)... (yes, me too...) just replaced, and radio's happy again...

So I can rest a while before trying to play with taking out the radio... perhaps we'll meet at a GT one of these days, and _you_ can try to take out my radio...

Yuri.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd LOVE to go to TDI-Fest... Problem is that I don't even know my schedule for next week, let alone next month... As for September...

All the best,

Yuri.