Glow plug failure day before Dieselgate fix :/

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Yesterday the wife drove into the city as usual and the glow plug and DPF lights went haywire. She limped it to work and let me know. I had her pull/clear codes and this is what came up:

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2018-06-18 17:02

VIN: 3VWKL7AJ0AM622321
Car: Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen TDI
Year: 2010
Body type: Saloon
Engine: CJAA
Mileage: 243970 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine

System description: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG
Software number: 03L906019CL
Software version: 9971
Hardware number: 03L906022TS
Hardware version: 78
Coding: 0350072

Trouble codes:
P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 Malfunction Lower limit not reached
static
P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Malfunction Lower limit not reached
static
P0136 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Malfunction mechanical malfunction
static
P13D9 - Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 4 Implausible signal mechanical malfunction
Intermittent
P13D3 - Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 2 Implausible signal mechanical malfunction
Intermittent
P13D4 - Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 3 Electrical error
Intermittent
P13CE - Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 1 Electrical error
Intermittent
P2463 - Diesel Particulate Filter - Soot Accumulation
Intermittent

Had her clear the codes and take it to the dealer for the dieselgate fix.

Because the codes came up again (no surprise, the wiring for the rear O2 sensor was totally chewed thru by mice) they pulled the codes again. Couple things changed.

Dealership diagnostic pulled the following codes:
P2454
P0135
P0141
P13D3
P13CE
P13D4
P13D9

So there's basically the same group of codes and a couple that changed.

Looks like my core issue is the wiring harness to the rear O2 sensor and the glow plugs are intermittently failing due to either mechanical or electrical issues.

The dealer won't fix the car until the issues are fixed and there is no MIL but they want 5hrs to do a full diagnosis at $165/hr. Um no. I found 4 Beru glowplugs in stock in town for $30/each (!!) so when they are delivered I'll be swapping out glowplugs in the dealerships parking lot lol.

Anything I'm missing or something I should look into?

Thanks guys!!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
With the $5K you will have lots left over to pay for them to fix glow plug. I have pulled out the glow plug sensor (which is also total pressure sensor). I had engine out, so I'm not sure how hard it is with engine in. They are only $90 to $120. Of course the dealer will charge more for parts as well as labor. You need a deep socket I recall. It should only be an hours labor + parts = ($50 to $350)

Needless to say Vee-Dub can't do the modification with this fault. How you get it fixed: DIY, Independent Shop or Dealer, is up to you.\\

Another option, which I don't know will work for you but did for me. I had an engine related nuisance fault. I made very good effort to fix it. The first time I dropped my TDI off to VW dealer for MOD, the fault reappeared (which after several events triggers CEL). They called me and said they can't do MOD with fault, and tey offered to trouble shoot starting at 3 hours labor ($360), no guarantee they will fix it. I elected to pick my TDI up and bring it to my favorite local independent VW shop to troubleshoot. We tried new electrical plug contacts and repaired some wires that had some rubbing damage. The fault still popped up. Since it popped up randomly, when I dropped it off the second time, while in the VW dealer's car drop-off driveway, I did a deep clean of all faults with the Ross Tech. It stayed fault free long enough for VW to get MOD done. I got the fault on way home... It still pop's up randomly and briefly and has zero effect on car operation.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The good news, after the fix, I got a new glow plug under warranty, free of charge!

I had a 13d1 code, it was glow plug #2.

And that was just a few days ago!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
So to follow up, I pulled the plugs and moved them around odds to evens. Cleaned the light soot off the tips and put a little nickel anti-seize on the threads and torqued to 15 Nm as per the Bentley manual.

Wouldn't start. At all. So I left it with them and they basically pulled the plugs to inspect and wiggled the wiring and test drove it to confirm it was fine. Damn it, I had better uses for that $500.