Need labor estimate

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Timing job with head replacement.
I had help from a diesel mechanic acquaintance (garbage trucks not TDI). No major issues. I'd like to pay him half of what a reasonable indy shop would charge for labor (his idea).
Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think that's his estimate, I would guess higher. But most any shop you call will give estimate over the phone. Folks here are enthusiasts and generally seem to be a bit low on everything.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'll second being higher than what was posted above.
I would say a seasoned TDI person who has done a lot of TB jobs with the right tools can do them around 4+ hours and do a quality job, give or take (no offense if you can bang em out quicker gurus).
Then you have to add probably a work day's work for the head (are valves, seals, springs, etc being replaced?)

Now double that time for someone that isn't familiar with the engine. Multiply that by the diesel shop rate of $90-$100/hour, then decide what you'll pay your buddy who works on diesel garbage trucks

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
The head was new and complete.
I don't think I would pay someone shop rate plus double time because they aren't familiar with the engine.
Anyway, we settled up. Thanks for your opinions! Always appreciated!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I didn't catch the head R&R part and was just thinking timing belt. Sorry for the confusion.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
I gave him $450. We worked together and I was the resource person. I've done a TB once but never a head. Was glad to have the help.
Hope that was fair.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
ALH cylinder head gasket labor is 7.3 hr. Cost would be reflective of the per hour rate and/or rate + applied matrix for difficulty, depending on how that shop charges.

Here we are $119/hr. However I would never, ever, just "replace a head gasket" on any engine, without having the head thoroughly checked out and most likely get a set of valve guides by our machine shop, which would sublet at anywhere from $500 to $700 depending on its condition.

And to R&R the head (meaning, transfer of all parts, so as in doing a valve job), the labor is 9.6 hr.

I'd be curious as to the nature of this being needed in the first place, as that would be pretty odd.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Well he had a new, comeplete head so no head work done.

Mitchell calls for 6.9 hours for head gasket, but your source for flat rate shows different which kinda shows flate rate is a general guideline. Plus, as you mentioned there is the + applied matrix for difficulty.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
From these informed posts (book hours is what they all quote), I would estimate roughly $1100 labor for head replacement and timing belt.
So you underpaid, of course the $64,000 question is, Does He get it Right.
Not to say a person can't do it for 450 and make money.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
ALH cylinder head gasket labor is 7.3 hr. Cost would be reflective of the per hour rate and/or rate + applied matrix for difficulty, depending on how that shop charges.

Here we are $119/hr. However I would never, ever, just "replace a head gasket" on any engine, without having the head thoroughly checked out and most likely get a set of valve guides by our machine shop, which would sublet at anywhere from $500 to $700 depending on its condition.

And to R&R the head (meaning, transfer of all parts, so as in doing a valve job), the labor is 9.6 hr.

I'd be curious as to the nature of this being needed in the first place, as that would be pretty odd.
I was about spot on

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wait.....so what DID the garbage guy get out of this for coins??????
Let's not do that...ok? He's a diesel mech and works on HD vehicles.

From these informed posts (book hours is what they all quote), I would estimate roughly $1100 labor for head replacement and timing belt.
So you underpaid, of course the $64,000 question is, Does He get it Right.
Not to say a person can't do it for 450 and make money.
I'm not really sure there's a significant distinction between what he works on for occupation but I see people try and make this case a lot, and I don't know why. There's nothing mysterious about the TDI that would cause me to believe that a diesel mech, even one for HD vehicles, couldn't handle a cylinder head replacement or a head gasket replacement.

Granted it's on a much smaller scale than what they're used to but as for tech it's not all that different now.

Steve

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm not really sure there's a significant distinction between what he works on for occupation but I see people try and make this case a lot, and I don't know why. There's nothing mysterious about the TDI that would cause me to believe that a diesel mech, even one for HD vehicles, couldn't handle a cylinder head replacement or a head gasket replacement.

Granted it's on a much smaller scale than what they're used to but as for tech it's not all that different now.

Steve
Other than the basic diesel 101 functionality, my Cummins and TDI are 2 different beasts. They do not cross over and there are certain specific procedures to ensure each run how they are supposed to. Troubleshooting, programming, mechanical...all different. They do both lack spark plugs though and have turbos:cool:

To your statement in blue, there are endless accounts of TDI's having paint marks on sprockets, covers, blocks, shafts, indicating that I wouldn't just want to bring my TDI to a diesel mechanic and have them fumble their way through a TB job. Turns a $1000 job into $5k really quick

Yes, there are some diesel mechanics that are very savvy, but to the mechanic who works on an HD truck and think they can bang out a TDI job, I would beg to differ, unless they have taken it upon themselves to become well versed on the model specific vehicle.

I've worked on a lot of different vehicles, gas and diesel, from about every company. I do a lot of front end research on the model of each one before I jump into something. Difference is, shops make a profit with a quick turnaround time, or they lose money.

Not saying at all that the mechanic in question couldn't handle it, because at this point it's all water under the bridge and it's done, but it takes some sort of know how, model specific to work on any engine configuration

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
$450 is reasonable. I'd do it for that.

If the job took 10 hours that would be $45 per hour, a respectable wage, right?

A shop has to pay rent, buy expensive tools, insurance, pay utilities, taxes, etc, etc, etc, plus pay the mechanic. They can't do it for $45/hr and keep the lights on, but for an individual, especially if it's tax-free, that's decent money.