Passat TDI vs Jetta TDI

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
You get a notice (at 1500 miles to go, if I remember right) to add DEF. It will go down to a few hundred miles before it threatens to not start. Just wait until you get the 1500 mile warning, then sometime in the next two fill ups, add a 2.5 gallon container for about $12.00. Easy.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You get a notice (at 1500 miles to go, if I remember right) to add DEF. It will go down to a few hundred miles before it threatens to not start. Just wait until you get the 1500 mile warning, then sometime in the next two fill-ups, add a 2.5 gallon container for about $12.00. Easy.

By topping up the def tank in my car at 10k intervals I have never received an MFI reminder so yeah it is as simple as adding washer fluid but much more critical was all a was saying. Just do it on a schedule and forget about it.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I had a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, and now a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. My wife hated the Jetta, felt it was loud, cheap, poor sound system, etc. She loves the Passat, with more room, quieter, higher quality, Fender sounds system. The Passat gets better fuel mileage than the Jetta ever did. I know this isn't a fair comparison regarding 2015 Jetta's & Passat's, but I think the later MY Jetta's got slightly bigger but slightly cheaper on quality too. For us, the Passat TDI hands-down meets our needs better. I loved the look of the Cup Edition though.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Sure seems like there's a lot more 2015 CPO Jetta SEL's around than 2015 CPO Passat SEL's. There's only one Passat SEL near me, both about 50 miles away. (There's at least a dozen VW dealers within 50 miles of me). The others are all 100 - 200 miles away. Plenty more Jetta's around.

Not that this really matters in terms of my decision, I'll still go and test drive both, probably several times. Just an observation about the inventory. And I realize that for the test drive, it doesn't have to be an SEL, but I would like to see the SEL close up if that's what I intend to buy.

Last edited: