Passat TDI vs Jetta TDI

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I know this has been discussed in tiny bits in probably 100 different threads, but maybe I can just get some specific info here.

I'm doing the BB on my '13 Jetta in a few months, and I'm debating between replacing it with a '15 CPO Passat TDI or a '15 CPO Jetta TDI. I'll probably give a gas model a look and test drive too, but I have a feeling I'm going to get a TDI. I used to have a 2003 Passat, liked it a lot, but the new ones are quite different.

So, in terms of Passat TDI vs Jetta TDI, I know the Jetta, I love it. I imagine that people are going to say the Passat is a little bigger, a little more luxurious, a little heavier, and probably a little more expensive. That I know already. What I'm most interested in is driving experience, "fun to drive" quotient, handling, cornering, etc. I imagine that the Jetta is a bit more nimble, more sporty, but are we talking about small differences or big differences? I'd like to hear from people who have a decent amount of experience with both cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've driven a bunch of Passats and MKVI Jettas over the years, but never owned either. My daughter had a '13 Jetta (gasser) which I drove a fair amount when visiting her. And we've had co-workers with Passats. I also recently test drove a '15 Passat, mostly because of it having a manual transmission.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I don't think "fun to drive" or "handling" really are part of the Passat's vocabulary. It's a big, soft car. Reasonably comfortable, but not sporty at all. However, the Jetta really isn't either. The big negative of the Passat compared to the Jetta, in my opinion, is road noise. The Passat has lots, usually aggravated by the Hankook tires that were original equipment on the car. But even with better tires it's not a category leader when it comes to road and wind noise. My experience is the Jetta is quieter.

If it were up to me I'd go with the Jetta. The only reason to lean towards the Passat is if you appreciate the width of the car and need the rear seat room. Otherwise I think the Jetta is a better choice.

And at the risk of getting flamed, since you mentioned gassers, I'd probably drive a '19 Jetta too. New platform, and the 1.4T is now available with a 6 speed manual or 8 speed automatic. EPA highway is 40. So it may not be a bad option.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've never been in a Mk6 jetta, but coming from my mk5 jetta there was no major let down in quality or finish when we picked up the Passat inside and out, where I think the mk6 jetta is more stripped down (again I've never been in a mk6 Jetta I just know i'd be pissed if i had to stare at that cluster for 4-6 years).

We had an SE Passat and the SEL, I will agree with Pete, Passat is more of a grand tour/highway queen that is competing with Camrys/Accords than a GTI. If highway driving is your bread and butter, TDI Passat can't be beat unless your spending twice as much.

I will say the Passat curb weight is a few pounds more than my old mk5 but not by much, so while physically bigger they shed a lot of weight.

It actually has the same rear end IRS as the Mk5 We've added a rear swaybar to our SEL (something you can't easily do to the jetta) and it really helped with the boat feeling and the off ramps are just as fun as my old mk5 with a RSB.

If I could convince the wife it'd be in her best interest I'd find some more aggressive springs, nothing that drops to much just stiffer, and between the springs and RSB I'd almost call her sporty. But she's happy with the 18" rims and the upscale leather interior of her new old stock SEL.

if you find and SEL, just don't hope for anything worth while from that dreaded RNS512 nav system. I will say VW got their R&D money out of the POS after running it for 5-6 model years.

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
IWe had an SE Passat and the SEL, I will agree with Pete, Passat is more of a grand tour/highway queen that is competing with Camrys/Accords than a GTI. If highway driving is your bread and butter, TDI Passat can't be beat unless your spending twice as much.

I will heartily second this! The Passat TDI is a great road car. I've had a 2012 and now a 2015. For the price that you can find the low mileage 2015 Passat TDIs at now, I don't think you can beat it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We don't find our '13 Passat noisy, and it's been a reliable and pretty much great car in all respects. Its chief virtue, if I had to pick one? ROOM. (I have some experience driving our son's '13 Jetta TDI = not enough room front, rear, or trunk for us.)

Last edited:

suemcclary

TDI
2005 and 2009 Jetta, 2010 Golf, 2015 Passat
We have a 2015 Passat bought new in 2015 and a stop sale Jetta bought last year. For my commute, I enjoy the Jetta but for longer trips, the range and comfort of the Passat can't be beat. So, your decision may somewhat rest on your own driving habits. Fuel mileage is comparable on both in our experience. No fix on the Passat yet and Phase I done on the Jetta.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
No fix on the Passat yet
I wasn't aware of that. I thought the Gen 2 was just Passat MY 2014. I thought 2015's were all Gen 3. But I'm not 100% up to speed on this stuff.

So, how is it going to work on a fix for the Passat?

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
For my commute, I enjoy the Jetta but for longer trips, the range and comfort of the Passat can't be beat.

What about sporty driving, going through on-ramps and exit ramps at high speed? Or, quick maneuvers in traffic?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
2014 Passat Is the Gen 2 .

and, you're correct- all 2015's are Gen 3.

One Gen of the Passat with manual transmission does not have a complete fix. I'm not sure which one, but it should be easy to find.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Don't buy a Passat if you want a sporty or let's say crisp feel. I bought mine new in 2014 after coming from a 2010 JSW. First impressions after ownership were that this car drives more like a Buick. I really like the extra room in the back seat and trunk and the 18 gal fuel tank. I have posted in the past here I upgraded to H&R OE sports an H&R rear sway bar and Koni FSD dampers. Now the car feels right. But that did cost some money to do. But what the hey it still a TDI, not a Honda or Camry.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
My advise is to just drive both and see what you like the best. I've not been in the Mk6 Jettas either. I do not like the cut down instrumentation and most of the reviews when it first came out in 2011 said it seemed quite a bit cheaper than the Mk5.

I owned B4 and B5 Passats as well as a few NMS versions. I gave up my Mk5 Jetta because it was just so much smaller than the Passat and I really do enjoy/like the space. I don't think you'll go wrong with either if you like one over the other. Since you are going for '15 models both will have the same engine, which is something you can't say for the previous model years.

And for clarification, the '12-'14 Passat with the Gen2 engine and a manual transmission are the one without a fix. The Gen2 engine with DSG does have an approved fix (software). The '15 Passats with the Gen3 engine and both DSG and manual have an approved fix.

As for noise, my '12 Passat with the stock Hankooks did get noisy over some roadway surfaces. My '14 I just bought with Continentals seems quieter, and our '15 with the Gen3 TDI was even quieter as far as engine noise goes.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
My advise is to just drive both and see what you like the best.
Yeah, I certainly intend to do that. Only problem with test drives is that it's not enough time to really evaluate. I wish there was a way where they could let you test drive the car for a weekend rather than 10 minutes. One time, I was able to do that, not for a weekend but for 24 hours. The GM gave me one of the salesman's cars. But that's rare that you can do that. I'll try again though.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't buy a Passat if you want a sporty or let's say crisp feel. I bought mine new in 2014 after coming from a 2010 JSW. First impressions after ownership were that this car drives more like a Buick. I really like the extra room in the back seat and trunk and the 18 gal fuel tank. I have posted in the past here I upgraded to H&R OE sports an H&R rear sway bar and Koni FSD dampers. Now the car feels right. But that did cost some money to do. But what the hey it still a TDI, not a Honda or Camry.

FWIW, I like 3 Series BMWs much more than 5 Series. I'll drive both the Passat and Jetta, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the crisp responsive feel of the Jetta better.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
FWIW, I like 3 Series BMWs much more than 5 Series. I'll drive both the Passat and Jetta, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the crisp responsive feel of the Jetta better.

That's why everybody here said "drive both you decide":)
I am 64 years old and at this point in my life, I take comfort over the sport feel and the back seat in the JSW was just atrocious for leg room when it came to packing two adults in the back seat. As I said I upgraded my suspension and now I feel it is roomy and sporty at the same time. You can't make the Jetta roomy.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I have purchased dozens of TDI Jettas and Passats during the buyback program. I daily drive whatever car I have around.

I will take Passat any day of the week if I can. Its bigger and more comfortable. It feels more solid on the highway.

Jetta is NOT sporty or fun - only Golf is kinda sporty and fun, but its small and meh.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have purchased dozens of TDI Jettas and Passats during the buyback program. I daily drive whatever car I have around.
Why have you purchased dozens? Does not make sense to me. Where are you coming from?:rolleyes: You been flippin' car for profit?

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Why have you purchased dozens? Does not make sense to me. Where are you coming from?:rolleyes: You been flippin' car for profit?
Yes and my point is that I have driven many miles in every year 09-15 Jetta and Passats and I like Passats more

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
I have put a lot of miles on a Jetta and about a year's worth on a Passat. The Passat is much more comfortable and actually got slightly better mileage. The Jetta is slightly quicker and does not require DEF. I would take the Passat.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT

I will take Passat any day of the week if I can. Its bigger and more comfortable. It feels more solid on the highway.

Jetta is NOT sporty or fun - only Golf is kinda sporty and fun, but its small and meh.
Same situation with me. I've driven several of both cross country. I'd vote for the Passat, as long as you get some good Michelin tires for it. The Jetta might be a little more fun around town, but you pay for it on the highway. Not as good a ride and a lot noisier, in my opinion.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
Most are saying the same.

The jet is sporter, you dont drive it, you wear it. It knows what you want it to do. Its fun, quick nimble, easy to manuver and park.

The passat, bigger, different, smoother, quieter, more floaty. Much better family and multi passenger mover. Better for "bigger" people and passengers. On TDI, ironically my passat gets a bit better mpg on highway.

And as a more senior driver, I have moved to the passat as first choice..

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Just here to echo what everyone else is saying...I had a 2005 Passat TDI. A 2013 and 2014 Jetta, and now a 2015 Passat.

The Jetta always felt cheaper, especially in fit and finish. But definitely more in tune with the road. I wouldn't say sporty.

The Passat is certainly much more comfortable and the fit and finish is better and of a higher quality. The ride is smoother and as others have said, more floaty. The road noise is higher, but the engine noise is quieter, so that's a toss-up for me.

I drive 120 miles a day or so, so I choose the Passat.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I have put a lot of miles on a Jetta and about a year's worth on a Passat. The Passat is much more comfortable and actually got slightly better mileage. The Jetta is slightly quicker and does not require DEF. I would take the Passat.

I forgot about the DEF. Not familiar with it. How much and how often do you need to add it? And what if you don't add it and let it run dry, what happens?

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
I forgot about the DEF. Not familiar with it. How much and how often do you need to add it? And what if you don't add it and let it run dry, what happens?
I only had to add DEF fluid once to the Passat after driving about 10k miles (this was a diesel that had not been modified). As I recall, if you fail to add DEF after the car has warned you about it, the engine will, at some predetermined point, refuse to operate.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

Def is dirt cheap and I have always been able to avert any MFI messages about needing to fill the DEF tank. I just top it up when I change the oil at 10k.:)

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I only had to add DEF fluid once to the Passat after driving about 10k miles (this was a diesel that had not been modified).

Do the Fixed Passats require more fluid? I seem to remember hearing that they did.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Not that I can tell but, I don't measure it by the ounce. Fixed 2014 Passat as I said before just top it up at 10k and forget about it.:)

OK, doesn't sound like a big deal. Kinda like topping off your washer fluid.