What I have learned before buying a Post-Fix 13-14 T-reg

clickscrazy

TDI
12 Jetta (Gone), 14 Passat (Buy-Back), 14 Touareg (Maybe)
After hours of research (on a variety of the forums) in an effort to help me determine if I should continue with my deal to by a 14 Touareg CPO (post-fix), I have put together the below:

Quick Backstory: Drove and signed papers on the T3, pre-fix. Deal pending my final inspection of the physical cleanup and performance post-fix.

The Deal: 14 Touareg (Sport / Nav), 58k, CPO, OTD $28,8716

What I Know:

What's involved in the fix for 2013 to 2014 Touaregs: ECU Update, TCM Update, Hardware Update

Expected Performance Changes Post-Fix:
1. MPG, It is likely I would experience a 1 to 3 MPG loss. Though it seems that would still keep keep the care above or at EPA estimates as most were getting greater than EPA estimates.
2. AdBlue, It is likely I would experience greater AdBlue usage. Some report as much as 5 Gallons per 3,500 Mi. VW says up to 40%.
3. Shift Points, The shift points will change. The RPM will be higher before shifting. Specifically while the vehicle is warming up.
4. Cold Start, The cold start will be louder and at a higher RPM. Most report a quality additive (which we really should be using anyway), will help this.
5. AdBlue (Egg Smell), I may have a smell on startup. Few have reported this.
6. Warm Up, The vehicle will warm up faster physically, but the warm up phase according to the car seems to be longer (i.e what the car considers warmed up).

Tuning:
Option 1: Chipwerke, will not void warranty, won't fix shift points, but will restore some of the lost power and torque feel. Costs around $450.
Option 2: Malone Tune, will risk warranty, offers several stage options, seems to nearly remove the effects of the fix. Costs around $750 (with flashzilla)

General Problems Reported:
1. Various emissions related part or system failures resulting in a CEL. Seem to be few of these.
2. Significant performance issues (Hesitation, Lurching, etc.). Seem to be few of these. Many seem to be resolved with a throttle reset.
3. Very high Adblue Usage. Seem to be few of these, but most have not had the fix very long.

What I DO NOT Know:

The Fix:
1. What is the exact hardware change and can it be reversed?

Tuning:
1. Will the Malone Tune correct the shift points?
2. How does either of the Tune options effect the AdBlue usage (I.E. Is the Adblue system going to keep dumping in the stuff at its own rate not in accordance to the vehicle.)

Towing:
Few reports found. Are there any post-fix serious towing reports?

Reliability:
Few reports found. Are there any recent reliability reports?

_____

If you have some input, feel a correction needs to be made or can answer any of the questions, please let me know!

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
It’s a good overview. Some drivers have found a third option, consisting of a transmission reflashed to stock but no chip or Malone tune. Check at Club Touareg for more.