2012 Jetta Sportwagen

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
Just got back into a TDI! Picked up a '12 Sportwagen, got a few dings but overall in very good shape.

Initial perception is that power is improved over my '06 TDI sedan. I was very happy with that previous car's mileage, even though it was always much lower than the ALH units. Car has had the "fix" - what kind of mileage can I expect? I'm a bit heavy on the throttle and do mainly city driving right now.

Good to be back!

/coming from a '14 Pooptrek
// CTV's are gross

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I recently picked up a 2014 JSW with DSG. First three tanks have been 37.3, 39.2 (both highway) and 34.7 (50/50). Based on this, I'd say 30-32 city and 37-40 freeway.

Last edited:

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I am in my new 2012 JSW, 58K, driving cross country. Average speed is 78. MPG is 36 +/-.
Driving fast and aggressive but smooth steady rolling as much as possible when traffic is sparse. That's over the first 1200 miles w/ about 5 miles off highway to hotel and food.

This car is rad.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My mileage went down a bit from pre-fix. But then got much better once I got rid of the DPF. Rawtek + Malone stage 2 is a great option.

How much did it go down please quantify? and if you had done the illegal DPF delete and tune it probably would have yielded greater fuel economy prefix also. But you know we all have to breathe that crappy air that you and you delete happy comrades are so proud to brag about.:rolleyes:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
How much did it go down please quantify? and if you had done the illegal DPF delete and tune it probably would have yielded greater fuel economy prefix also. But you know we all have to breathe that crappy air that you and you delete happy comrades are so proud to brag about.:rolleyes:

Jealous much? ;)

andykurz

TDI
shopping
The DPF and untuned cars seem to do about 8-10 fewer MPG from anecdotal conversations - I don't think there is a foolproof data set though.

Highway mileage goes from high30s low40s to high40s low50s. Again, all anecdotal.

You're not going to see 50MPG in a stock car fo sho!

andykurz

TDI
shopping
Just saw the fuelly board above. We have an outback too! I never expected the actual mileage to be as bad as it is.

Subaru really pushes the tree-hugger branding image but they sure do get lousy mileage!!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Just saw the fuelly board above. We have an outback too! I never expected the actual mileage to be as bad as it is.

Subaru really pushes the tree-hugger branding image but they sure do get lousy mileage!!

Ugh! It's been a tough fought 11 months since we turned in the keys and picked up our '16 OB. I have seen a few tanks at nearly 28mpg but on average we're running around 23mpg... again, ugh!

Fuelly

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I have the manual trans but gen 1 cr tdi in normal hwy commute was around 39-41 avg mpg. With a tune only, I'm up at 42-47 avg. this is measured by actual miles divided by fuel. I've noticed that truly open hwy driving drops it down about 5 mpg avg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have the manual trans but gen 1 cr tdi in normal hwy commute was around 39-41 avg mpg. With a tune only, I'm up at 42-47 avg. this is measured by actual miles divided by fuel. I've noticed that truly open hwy driving drops it down about 5 mpg avg.

What tune? and what does truly open highway driving mean?