Airbag light just came on...

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
2 nights ago, I tried to swap stock radios from a 2009 Jetta into my 2006 Jetta (following the step by step instructions from myturbodiesel) only to find out the 2009 radio is "tied" to the actual car and I would need the radio code for it to work. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to find the code so I put the stock radio from my 2006 back it.

Yesterday, I disconnected the car battery for about 3 hours to take my time and clean the terminals. I connected the battery back up without any issues.

This morning, when I started the car to go to work, the engine started right up but the airbag light came and stayed on. Would simply disconnecting the battery cause this or do you think me messing with the radio caused this?

Thanks in advance.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I actually cleared mine with an android app and a Bluetooth obd2 reader, hasn’t come on since... probably not the best idea if you want to verify the airbag actually works... I just hated the damn light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No disconnecting the battery should not affect the light, but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtechno

TDI
2015 Golf 2.0 TDI.Sport wagen 53K. Previously a Jetta 06 with 205K. A5-BRM,
I replaced my battery last week and after that my steering wheel airbag light came right on as well. 2006 TDI 194K

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Airbag codes will not disapear when disconnecring and reconnecting the battery. You need a scan tool to read, fix whats broken and then clear the code

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Scan tool will tell you why the light is on faster than it took to make this thread.

It is always possible that a low voltage condition happened at some point, but who knows.

It is 100% normal for the steering wheel and anti-skid lights to be on after the battery is disconnected, though. I quick drive and turning the wheels will reset that. That has nothing to do with the SRS.