Do you need Adblue heater?

bta 120

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf 2013 Touareg 1948 Plymouth Special
Just a thought adblue freezes at - 11. So here in Ontario should freeze up in the next 49 hours. Then re warm back up to plus three. So if system is frozen then pump will or will not turn on. Any thoughts on how the system will behave.
2013 Touareg tdi 125 k has had a 202b code (heater short to ground) and I havent got around to throwing a heater in yet !

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If it needed a heater, don't you think VW would have installed one?

bta 120

Veteran Member
TDI
Good answer. Thx. Although here is a better one.
Injection can be delayed up to an hour from the time the vehicle was started, the sensor in the ad blue tank reports it's condition and disables injection.
Any addition to this information in relation to nox values going up etc. Damage to any other components I guess one would have to know the system in its intirety.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I've got, or had, the same error. It went away and I haven't had the code back. I take it you have a CEL too?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Good answer. Thx. Although here is a better one.
Injection can be delayed up to an hour from the time the vehicle was started, the sensor in the ad blue tank reports it's condition and disables injection.
Any addition to this information in relation to nox values going up etc. Damage to any other components I guess one would have to know the system in its intirety.
You are creating an issue out of a non issue. VW did extensive extreme weather testing on this sysrem. If a heater was that necessary, they would have installed one. If they are going to install one as part of the emission scandal then meet them make that call and cover the cost.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
The AdBlue tank has a heater. To OP's code is due to a heater fault. The quote i had from a dealer about a replacement in my Teg was $600, but as i haven't had the code in a few months, i have a short somewhere.

As far as the scandle goes, yeah, non-adblue cars may get it, or get a buy back.

bta 120

Veteran Member
TDI
You are creating an issue out of a non issue. VW did extensive extreme weather testing on this sysrem. If a heater was that necessary, they would have installed one. If they are going to install one as part of the emission scandal then meet them make that call and cover the cost.
I think that there is some confusion about the original post. oh well.

bta 120

Veteran Member
TDI
Any issues with the Treg this morning?
Not that I've heard I didn't drive it.
I would assume the it will pick up more codes as nox values go up and there is no action from the adblue system if it stays frozen. Just wondering if it will start the countdown for a no start.
Dealer wants 5 hrs lab to put one in. Bandits

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
It will start with the error, which may not mean the fluid is frozen, just that the heater may have an issue.

I assume that if the fluid is frozen and not flowing, same as running out, the engine may not start.

5hrs is far too long, but get a quote for a replacement, including parts. I know i was about $612 for the job.

bta 120

Veteran Member
TDI
Vwoa has extended the warranty around the ad blue heater to 150,000 miles. Canada going to follow. Thoughts...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yep. AdBlue heaters are now covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles on both Passats and Touaregs. Perhaps Audi V6s, as well.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I need to call. I'm going to have a hassle since my Treg was bought in Texas and brough up via the auction system.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Be nice if MB did too, as the midship tank DEF heater on the Sprinters is a whopping $1200 part! :eek: And there really is not much to it, just some pieces of plastic, a metal element, a sensor, and some wires.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Be nice if MB did too, as the midship tank DEF heater on the Sprinters is a whopping $1200 part! :eek: And there really is not much to it, just some pieces of plastic, a metal element, a sensor, and some wires.

Damn. I was $612 to replace the heater. Taxes in.

And the heater is nothing. Very similiar set up to the tank coolant heaters, but all plastic.