Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Veteran Member
I'm now starting to feel the effects of dieselgate on the value of our vehicles. Got an estimate from my body shop this morning (after a 400 pound deer buck rammed into the left side of my JSW), and I've lost about $1500-2000 in value since dieselgate broke, according to what the insurance company values the vehicle at.
I'd expect half of that to be normal depreciation over the course of 7 months, right?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Not quite. There were 600k cars. affected and the quote is "...it has agreed to offer to buy back up to 500,000.." so maybe some are easy to fix? 2015+? So much speculation..
The 500k that are supposedly being bought back do not include 3.0L TDI's. How many of those were made (100k)?

00TdiCup

TDI
00 Tdi (sold), '11 JSW TDI, '12 JSW TDI, '11 X5d, '14 E250 bluetec
I'm happy with it. They're handling this better than other manufacturers have with other recalls. Especially for sportwagen owners...there is really no other comparable car for the money, especially if you want a manual transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
ok, so the local dealer who offered to buy back our 'in demand' car four days ago....If we had said yes, who would have been the winner?

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
Smart man.....hey ..... don't tell the rest of the forum.....but VW just called and offered me $5K, a 1955 restored microbus, and a full MSRP buy back. I really love my JSW but I am thinking of accepting VW's offer. :)

lol.. Kit.. You crack me up. :D

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
VW to pay U.S. customers $5,000 each to settle dieselgate: Die Welt - Reuters
https://apple.news/Ae7fMzSKEToeDnv9FiQ1tdw
Thoughts?
Just wonder how they are going to please CARB from this point? 5K for us owners, what does that do to make the cars compliant, or get them off the road? 5K for us to add to Kelly BB on trade? I was just offered $12,XXX for my '13 Golf two door DSG Nav, sunroof, 34K miles. So, essentially if I wanted out, I could get 17K?

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
After all this. I would laugh so incredibly hard if VW had nothing to bring to the table tomorrow. :D
Same, but this time last month word was leaking that VW would have nothing to show. We're getting the opposite leaks this time around. I'm optimistic for real news, but I doubt we'll know what the fix will be in its entirety and I bet a lot of people will be unhappy.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I'm now starting to feel the effects of dieselgate on the value of our vehicles. Got an estimate from my body shop this morning (after a 400 pound deer buck rammed into the left side of my JSW), and I've lost about $1500-2000 in value since dieselgate broke, according to what the insurance company values the vehicle at.
You would have lost that little of amount just in time passing without putting a mile on it!!!

Donald

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Worry and Drive a Lot!

Google translation of the actual German article from Die Welt.

Worse would be if they make the $5k conditional to getting the fix done...so, most of us would be back to square one.

Even if the fix were thoroughly tested, I just CANNOT trust vw with anything......so....basically lose, lose and lose proposition going on here...

Unless the car racks up 250k+ miles, one would lose money on the car if anything were to happen to it or forces you to buy another car. I don't see lost value of tdis coming back up.

My projection: at some point during the ownership of tdi, you are bound to lose money on it.

So, worry and drive a lot.....:p

Next question: since I don't wan't my car fixed, can I continue to register in NY?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If whats leaking is true or even close, i'm quite surprised there isn't more incentive to stick with brand.

Maybe they reached the conclusion those that want out would never step in another VW.

VWoA needs to move serious number of units on the lots I'd be surprised there's no added bennies to remove your current VW and replace it with another.

Also they desperately need to certify the 2016's TDIs ASAP, hope there's news about that soon too.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
After all this. I would laugh so incredibly hard if VW had nothing to bring to the table tomorrow. :D
Yup. Don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

When I sold my house...I didn't get excited until the "check" for the equity hit my bank account.

Until the "Fat Lady" sings...you never know what's going to happen.

If whats leaking is true or even close, i'm quite surprised there isn't more incentive to stick with brand.
That would be where the word "fix" comes into play. That could mean literally anything given the context. It could mean "fix" the car, buy the car back, give trade in incentives in addition to buyback, etc.

Last edited:

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
$5K + FMV (retail) as of 9/1/15 = My keys. :D
I think it would be something greater than FMV retail. Only because that would cause a lot of speculation on condition and putting values on aftermarket accessories.( tint, wheels, etc. ) If those values are calculated by the dealer you will get the screw. Now if they throw out condition and give you what you paid for any accessories, I'm all in.

Realistically to get this behind me 5K and a buyback and they can have the keys and the change in tray to the left of the steering wheel.

I know I may be in the minority, but this has been the worst car I have ever purchased and I have owned a Pinto and a K car at one time.

Evildad

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
ok, so the local dealer who offered to buy back our 'in demand' car four days ago....If we had said yes, who would have been the winner?
I've been wondering about that. I've been called twice in the last six months by the local dealer saying they really could use my 11 Sportwagen as they get a lot of requests for TDIs and of course can't sell any new ones. A friend on FB said they were probably trying to get the car off the road before being forced to buy it back, but the guys in the service department pointed the guy out and said he's always trying to snipe their service customers for his used car needs. And just last week I got an actual letter offer "at least" $11,500 for my car, maybe more. Not that I'm interested, I like my car and will probably drive it into the ground like I do all my cars.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Has anyone looked at VOW shares today? Opened with huge volumes...

I'm calling this "news" pure market manipulation, especially considering on the announcements that will occur tomorrow and more importantly on Friday.

I'm not believing the "news" and will wait till tomorrow.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Has anyone looked at VOW shares today? Opened with huge volumes...

I'm calling this "news" pure market manipulation, especially considering on the announcements that will occur tomorrow and more importantly on Friday.

I'm not believing the "news" and will wait till tomorrow.
Corporate hype to inflate shares and sell them quickly before everything collapses tomorrow? LOL

ben

Evildad

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
The person says it's an agreement in principle that does not include final details of how much each owner will get. Those figures have yet to be worked out. Some owners would have the option of getting their cars repaired or having Volkswagen buy them back.
So some people would get more, some less, maybe based on depreciation?
The person didn't want to be identified because the terms of the deal are not public.
The person didn't want to be identified because s/he didn't know jack.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
$1Billion is only $2k per owner??? What happened to $5k? How does that cover buybacks? $10 billion maybe? lol

Which is why I originally started this entire thing with that Everest sized salt grain.

There's no integrity in reporting anymore, it's all about generating clicks. "He who posts the highest click generating article" wins, so all of those idiots speculate.

Thought I'll readily admit, this is certainly a huge influx of news, compared to the last 7 months or so.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Or Promaster??? :p

Promaster is out, because it turns out Fiat does not sell one here that is a passenger van, only a cargo van with windows, and I'd need to have a 3rd party company refit the inside, which I was not thrilled about.
Just epoxy some lawn chairs or old church pews onto the floor and you're all good!

kitarkus

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Remember...today is 4/20...most of the journalists with any integrity are stoned out of their minds right now. After the smoke clears tomorrow we should know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.