Have older KermaTDI tune, should I go back to factory tune?

GrampaPete

Veteran Member
SE Wisconsin, between Madison and Milwaukee
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon - SOLD
The other day I met a guy with a 2005 Passat TDI who swears his car gets in the upper 40s MPG regularly. I get about 36-37 MPG average, maybe 42 on the highway, at 60, air on. Anyway, he got me to thinking that I might actually get better MPG using the VW factory program. When the KermaTDI tune was done 7 years ago I asked for best MPG program.

Should I consider getting my car retuned to the factory tune? If so, must I go to a dealer to get it done, and how much should it cost?

Thanks much,

Grampa Pete

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
I don't think the little mpg tune is sucking all the fuel away , might be your shifting way late in the RPM band ?

also your cars poor mpg number makes me think its a automatic.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I can get upper 40's on the highway but it'd have to be running under 50 MPH, on a flat road, A/C turned off, probably hypermiling.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I routinely get 45 mpg calculated with my B5.5 tdi wagon A/C on on the highway - *disclaimer - I have a DUK 5 speed manual trans and Malone stage 2 tune*

My B5.5 sedan with the DUK 5 speed manual gets a little better, 46-47 depending on what state I am in (speed limit on highway, KS is 75 in interstates, while Illinois and Missouri is 70 max.)

I have seen low 40's on all highway driving with my B5.5 that still has the ZF auto, but usually 38 is about the max in summer and 36 in the winter.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Best that I have ever seen in our wagon was just a shade under 42 MPG. It was a long road trip all highway with the cruise set at 60. I was trying to break 40 MPG and it worked… once. I can generally get ~ 37-38 mixed but mostly highway, but I don't think that's bad given the size of the car. RC2+ tune and B20, BTW.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I use to be able to get 42mpg consistently on the highway at 65. Something changed after my last timing belt replacement and even playing with the torsion, I'm still 5-10% below that now. Or maybe I"m just driving faster :)

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
back in the day with my 05 I could get about 47 if I was no air, windows up and keeping it at 55 which would hardly happen. In fact I can only recall once on a long trip and it was raining etc so I had to keep my speed down due to my nervous passenger wife that I achieved this on a trip over say 300 miles. BTW, with my daughter now driving that car she averages about 33-35 but does mixed driving and probably a lead foot.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Most of the time my car does 38-42 if kept in a constant speed state. I will easily get 42 if the speed is kept around 60. However, it is not fun that way. Most of the time, on a long interstate trip it will get 40-41 max. In other words, the gent that tells you he is getting getting high 40s with his, probably is an expert at selling swamp land. ;) If you want high 40s, probably converting to manual or getting a new proper manual shift common rail-engined passat will do that.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
A manual with a BSM delete will get you pretty close to that if you watch your speed.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
My 2013 Passat SEL TDI will get low 40s on the highway. My B5 tdi usually does 32-37 mpg with the same driving.

The B5 is much more fun to drive.

Also, the stock tune has a noticeable hesitation when accelerating from a stop.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Either you transit the highways in your B5 at speeds greater than 80 or so or something is not quite right with it. At normal highway speeds, even with an automatic, you should be getting 38-42. With the manual, it is even better than that.

My 2013 Passat SEL TDI will get low 40s on the highway. My B5 tdi usually does 32-37 mpg with the same driving.

The B5 is much more fun to drive.

Also, the stock tune has a noticeable hesitation when accelerating from a stop.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
Some guys I have talked to reset their computer once they are at temp and speed. I don’t agree with that. They finish their 150 mile trip and stun themselves with their displayed inflated MPG numbers. Unless you are on a really long trip or driving 55-60 MPH, high 40's will be hard without some mods/tweaks.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Only hand calculated mpg's should count, which requires filling, driving, stopping and refilling, IMO.