Diesel Equinox in Clean Car Challenge

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Students Pick Biodiesel in Clean Car Challenge

DETROIT - Biodiesel was the fuel of choice in GM’s Challenge X: Crossover to Sustainable Mobility, a competition among 17 university teams across North America to create the most fuel efficient and least polluting Chevrolet Equinox.

General Motors Corp. assembled the student teams at its downtown Detroit headquarters, where they showed off their re-engineered Equinoxes and chauffeured journalists with short test drives.

Twelve teams chose biodiesel fuel (B20) as the primary fuel source, including the winning group from Mississippi State University. That team took the first place prize with a parallel hybrid electric vehicle, where both engine and the electric motor generate the power to drive the wheels. Containing a 1.9-liter GM direct injection turbo diesel engine fueled by B20, their design yielded a 48 percent increase in fuel economy over the stock Equinox SUV.

Students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, also went the biodiesel route with a 1.9 liter diesel turbocharged engine, to snag second place. Virginia Tech was awarded third place overall with a split parallel hybrid architecture that runs on E85 ethanol with a 2.3-liter turbo spark ignition engine provided by Saab.

“We view this as an opportunity to look at 17 different approaches to the same problem,” said Mark Maher, GM executive director for powertrain-vehicle integration who also directs the Challenge X project.

Maher said where diesel and biodiesel make sense, many of the student applications are worth exploring. He sees most of those opportunities in diesel rich Europe, but not necessarily in North America.

The engineering project not only helps the next generation of engineers get real-world experience, but also serves as a recruitment opportunity for GM. Larry Burns, vice president of GM Research and Development, said GM has already hired 40 students from the first two years of the competition.

“And we intend to extend several offers at the conclusion of this year’s program,” Burns said.

Just one team, from the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, configured a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. Team co-leader Erik Wilhelm said their FCV Equinox is fueled with 4.3 kg hydrogen stored at 350bar and with a nickel metal hydride battery. The fuel cell itself was provided by Hydrogenics Corp. based in Canada. The Waterloo vehicle has a range of between 120 and 170 miles, he said.

“The biggest challenge was getting all the exotic powertrain components and controls to work together,” Wilhelm said.

Later this year, GM plans to place 100 fuel cell-outfitted Equinoxes with consumers in Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C. next year to test everyday driving and durability.

“We were really happy to see GM’s (FCV Equinox) because we had some of the same architecture,” Wilhelm said.

Three other teams, including Pennsylvania State University, Texas Tech University and the University of Tulsa – also are using hydrogen as a secondary propulsion source. Penn State is injecting hydrogen into their vehicle's diesel engine to lower emissions. The Texas Tech and Tulsa teams are using hydrogen to power their vehicles’ auxiliary systems.

The Challenge X began in 2004, with student teams focused on vehicle simulation and modeling. Students have been integrating their advanced powertrains and subsystems into the Chevrolet Equinox in the second and third years of the project. In the fourth and final year, students will focus on customer acceptability and over-the-road reliability and durability.

GM and the U.S. Department of Energy are the primary Challenge X sponsors. Additional sponsors include AVL, Caterpillar, National Instruments, Freescale Semiconductor, Johnson Controls and MotoTron

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
I'm sorry... 12 out of 17 US University teams saw the performance and applicability of diesel/biodiesel technology for this project and GM still doesn't "see the opportunity here." They've got their heads shoved so far... well, you get what I'm saying. I just hope they have a flashlight.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
LVPAJetta said:
I'm sorry... 12 out of 17 US University teams saw the performance and applicability of diesel/biodiesel technology for this project and GM still doesn't "see the opportunity here." They've got their heads shoved so far... well, you get what I'm saying. I just hope they have a flashlight.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Unless they wake the F up, they're doomed. Cadillac, Saturn, and even Pontiac are completing successful turnarounds. How about lead the pack in an innovative direction for the first time in decades instead of being the last to the party...I hope that fuel cell materializes. I'm very curious.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
most fuel efficient vs least polluting

...most fuel efficient and least polluting Chevrolet Equinox...
i'm curious how they weighted their scoring system. it seems that running a car on B100 would be the "least polluting", but that some lower blend would probably give the best MPG due to higher BTU/gallon content.

either way, i'm glad to see BioD in the news again. thanks for the heads up DD.

copperz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My x girlfriend has an equnax. she got it brand new. That thing has been in the shop every month since she got it. Its such a shi*y car i wouldent even care if they put a diesel 1 out there....

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
d'dorf said:
Maher said where diesel and biodiesel make sense, many of the student applications are worth exploring. He sees most of those opportunities in diesel rich Europe, but not necessarily in North America.
:mad:
I beg to differ with this statement. NA is not a diesel car market but it should be!
:mad:

aloser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
So why is GM still in the toilet?

Vipervnm said:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Unless they wake the F up, they're doomed. Cadillac, Saturn, and even Pontiac are completing successful turnarounds. How about lead the pack in an innovative direction for the first time in decades instead of being the last to the party...I hope that fuel cell materializes. I'm very curious.
The last time I checked Cadillac, Saturn and Pontiac are all divisions of GM. How is it these brand name divisions can have "successful turnarounds" without the parent company benefiting?

However, I agree that GM is in trouble.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I wonder if any one will buy a GM diesel after the V8 flop sure did not help diesel sales in NA.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Europe obviously is a diesel rich environment, but BD isn't as big an opportunity due to more limited agriculture possibilities.

NA is not a diesel rich environment (well...actually it is, we just haven't figured it out yet. Read above post about heads up a$$es), but has the agricultural capacity.

So GM goes goo-goo-gaa-gaa over the dumb-arse pipe dream hydrogen powered POS.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
cptmox said:
Europe obviously is a diesel rich environment, but BD isn't as big an opportunity due to more limited agriculture possibilities.

NA is not a diesel rich environment (well...actually it is, we just haven't figured it out yet. Read above post about heads up a$$es), but has the agricultural capacity.

So GM goes goo-goo-gaa-gaa over the dumb-arse pipe dream hydrogen powered POS.
If you've been to a recent autoshow you'll see that in the immediate future GM is banking on hybrids and pure electrics for cars and will likely relegate diesels to the truck/SUV segment. GM is dead serious going to produce the "Chevrolet Volt" pure electric car.

I think they're missing a great opportunity by NOT getting into the smaller car diesel segment. But, GM does have a history of being oblivious... Which is why it's no longer the #1 seller in this country and the rest of the world, it's Toyota.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
It's all about bluring the lines with Opel and such, I don't think they want to do that in the states.

The Volt is a very promising car, not diesel but still worth it. I would buy only a Volt, never a Prius.

The fact that it can be plugged in and run on battery alone for almost 30-40 miles is reason enough. I glad someone realised that with a stationary engine you can built it operate at one RPM point and have it last decades if maintained. TQ will be on demand and the car does look hot.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

Again, the reason I will never buy GM again after our family buying them since the 50's and me for over 20 years.

I switched to VW, never to return. I sent many letter and placed many calls over the years giving GM my opinion only to be ignored. The last good engine from GM was the Oldsmobile QUAD4 HO, 2.3L 4 valve per cylinder port fuel injection. 190 HP. 28 MPG around town in a Grand Am and 35 on the highway.

hpglow

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta
TomB said:

Again, the reason I will never buy GM again after our family buying them since the 50's and me for over 20 years.

I switched to VW, never to return. I sent many letter and placed many calls over the years giving GM my opinion only to be ignored. The last good engine from GM was the Oldsmobile QUAD4 HO, 2.3L 4 valve per cylinder port fuel injection. 190 HP. 28 MPG around town in a Grand Am and 35 on the highway.
The quad4 evolved into the 2.4L that was put into the cavs and the sunfires of the 90s'. Which was later fitted with VVT and now is avalible in the cobalt ss and G5 gt. The 190hp was later scaled back when the us government changed the standards for stating HP on a new vehicle. The HP was in the 150 range after the adjustments in place.

That motor was a screamer, I put a 100hp shot of nos on a 2.4L sunfire and that thing would rip all the way up till the computer cut it off at 110 mph. After I replaced one clutch and a transmission that I ruined in that car I took the nos out.

GM dosn't understand thier own market anymore. I sure can't wait to see some of the diesel offerings that are about to hit the market. If that honda accord diesel was avalible I would buy it, that thing comes stock with 140hp and 230ft/lbs. When the Tiguan hits the streets my wifes Jeep will likely be traded in on one... she is tired of the 17mpg that thing gets. GM dosn't get it and they won't get it till all their competitors are making money hand over first with diesel tech. The American market hasn't been ready for it, but it is now. It dosn't take a smart guy to figure out that we are tired of paying for expensive gas and putting a diesel into every car would reduce consumption by a good margin.