www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 11th, 2018, 12:15   #571
pcdreams

TDI(s): 2002 Beetle

For us newbies, I'm wondering if there is a key to that Image you posted of the vacuum lines. I'm sure N75 and other numbers mean a lot if you know what you're doing, but they're a bit confusing to us newbies without a reference.

Thanks,

Don

UPDATE: Answering my own question. Here's a link to the full diagram https://www.google.com/search?q=m26-...Hwf4mH2TIZH7M:

Last edited by pcdreams; May 11th, 2018 at 12:21.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:23   #572
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290286
or
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8722/...6acf578c_b.jpg
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 19:13   #573
watchingcrow

Fuel Economy: Biodiesel only, 25 local 45 highway
Default overboost 0234 woes

I have replaced the N75, Air Filter, Actuator, most of the Vacuum Tubes (some look new) the way the Limp Mode occurs has changed but not gone away. And no engine warning light. I drove to 2.5 hours to Santa Cruz from S.F. and by keeping the Tach under 30K no problem, but if i accelerate going up the hill, which happened once, i lose turbo, but not all power, I am still able to mosey up the hill and on the way down put in neutral and ignition off and on and i am good to go. But, coming home, in normal street mode, suddenly i went limp and also got the orange engine light and now the 0234.

The turbo is only 5 years old as i blew it up driving over the Grape Vine, on the way to LA, all smoke and no power crawled into LA and to a Dealer, $1500 and 4 days later i had a new Turbo,but they left some of the old Vacuum lines for some odd reason.

What oh what am i to do?

Am Retired and as they say On A Fixed Income, and am willing to struggle with doing some of the work myself.

Help

Michael Patrick McAnelly
San Francisco
watchingcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 07:27   #574
alphaseinor

Did you check the vacuum actuator on the turbo to see if it moves the full 1/2" or so, and does so smoothly?

What is your code? do you know if it's underboost or overboost?
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2018, 09:52   #575
Bosserdet

Fuel Economy: 500/450

Yes, the actuator can be the problem. I just pulled out the turbo in my BHW (2005 Passat TDI Wagon B5.5) and that was the first thing I noticed was the actuator was not moving. That was because of all the crap that was inside the turbo. During the discovery process I found some broken pieces of metal from a couple of the veins.

I trashed it and installed a new one. No more codes and no more limp mode. I am thinking that the veins were stuck in a position that let me drive it around as long as I did not try to put any real load on the engine. Seems like every time I was trying to accelerate hard or going up a hill it would find limp mode. Sometimes it gave me a code and some times not. The code would be overboost.

Runs fine now.
Bosserdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2018, 14:57   #576
watchingcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaseinor View Post
Did you check the vacuum actuator on the turbo to see if it moves the full 1/2" or so, and does so smoothly?

What is your code? do you know if it's underboost or overboost?
Hi Alphaseinor;5419805,
Sorry for the delay.
I am getting p0234 Overboost.

I replaced the Actuator but did not test it, thought replacing did not require a test.
What is that Vacuum Test device i see on some of the videos?

Like i said it is a relatively new Turbo (if the dealer actually replaced it) and I really don't drive much, and that could be part of the trouble, ie not enough high speed, mostly city 35mph.

I am confused if maybe there is another thing to replace. I replaced n75 and the "actuator" but is there another thing - i watched a video and a wastegate was mentioned and when i checked one of the Vacuum Tubes that connected to something under the engine it looked similar to other parts.
It would be tough to replace and then there is the MAP, which i have heard really does not fail and it is also hard to get at. I think you have to remove the grill and headlights.
OH, i did not replace the MAF, I cleaned it and replaced the airfilter. Maybe that is the bugger???

Thanks.
Michael Patrick
Old June 30th, 2018, 18:13   #577
alphaseinor

I'd stop throwing parts at it. Almost everything you listed didn't fix it, so why would replacing more help?

The actuator, you just need a hand vacuum pump, lay under the car, at the back of the engine, on the turbo, there is a vacuum line, connect the pump, and see if it moves (should start moving about 5"HG or less). it should move about 1/2" until it stops, and should be smooth motion.

Since you have an Overboost, how's your EGR/intake manifold look? Any clogging?
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:47   #578
watchingcrow

Default overboost 0234 woes

Quote:
I'd stop throwing parts at it. Almost everything you listed didn't fix it, so why would replacing more help?

The actuator, you just need a hand vacuum pump, lay under the car, at the back of the engine, on the turbo, there is a vacuum line, connect the pump, and see if it moves (should start moving about 5"HG or less). it should move about 1/2" until it stops, and should be smooth motion.

No clue, so i am "searching" that topic to see what i must do to inspect.
My first look shows that I must disconnect the INLET Manifold to view it.
I will get back to you once i have managed that process.
Thanks again

Michael Patrick

Last edited by watchingcrow; July 2nd, 2018 at 10:48. Reason: I guess i must find a hand pump, wont use often so looking cheap
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:49   #579
watchingcrow

Also must find a cheap hand vacuum pump, won't use often i reckon.
There are really cheap ones - plastic, and such, but fear them hahaha
Old July 2nd, 2018, 11:51   #581
watchingcrow

Thanks
Old July 8th, 2018, 18:58   #582
watchingcrow

Default Intake Manifold

Quote:

Hey there Alphaseinor;5420400
So, I removed the hose that connects to the EGR and there is no build up what ever. The flipper moves freely, the only concern is there i a light layer of black grease on the surfaces. I took two of the bolts off that allows me to remove the EGR, but the third one is hidden and virtually inaccessible without removing more things around it. The only way i could loosen that bolt is maybe with a very small needle nose vice grip. But, before i go that far, i wonder if i need to go further, if there is no build up at all inside the EGR? Any thoughts.
Old July 9th, 2018, 06:08   #583
Bosserdet

Fuel Economy: 500/450
Talking Good Point

Quote:

Alphaseinor has a good point. Sometimes you forget the normal things you do out of necessity. Taking the intake off the BHW or B5.5 and cleaning intake and the ports to in the head is something I do about every 50-60k.
Bosserdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 09:42   #584
watchingcrow

Smile

HI

So i understand about the Manifold.
As i said, I am struggling to get to the manifold. The EGR seems nearly impossible to remove as the third bolt is literally inaccessible, several other pieces must be removed to get to that third bolt. So, before i go to all of that trouble, and i am NOT unwilling to, i just dont want to do that if it is unnecessary, you know. I removed the hose on the front of the EGR and looked inside and though there is a sheen of black grease on the surface inside it certainly is clogged. Is that an indication that the Manifold itself is not clogged or are those two completely unrelated signs?

If there is no manifold clogging, maybe i just need to get the vacuum pump and check at that nozzle under the engine to see what i am getting. Then, lets say it is not up to snuff? What does that tell me that i do not already know. I have a p0234 code already...I am perplexed at the issues and their resolutions. BUT I AM DETERMINED to solve this. The car does not get that much use. Twice a year i drive to Santa Cruz, 100 miles, other than that 15 minute street trips to the market is all. The Turbo is only 5 years old, at less than 6k miles a year on driving.
So, what to do next ....
Thanks i really appreciate all the help. This Forum has been a big help even if nothing has worked so far LOL>

Michael Patrick:

Last edited by watchingcrow; July 9th, 2018 at 10:59. Reason: add photo
Old July 9th, 2018, 10:29   #585
watchingcrow

Also, are there two actuators? I purchased and replaced the EGR

But see often mention of the VNT Actuator, is that something else and if so, where is it located?