What did you do to your car today?

massey860

TDI
2000 Jetta
Chnaged the head, after a valve broke and smashed a piston..........put it all back together, haven't got it started yet, think the timing is off.........it turns by hand or starter though, so it can't be that far out, right?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Real easy to have the IP just out of the window.

Lock the cam in. Check the crank and then try to insert the IP lock. It should go in smooth. If not. Pop off the cam pulpy and re time.

imperium

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Does running over the leg of a freakin ELK count as something you did to your car recently? LOL....

(Soon to be changing the oil, all the filters and searching for the mysterious rubbing sound!) and waiting on Jeff to respond to see if he can look at my ECU

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Found out my A/C compressor is "shot"... Will upload the estimate in a bit to see what you fellas think!

Changed the 205/40/17 tires to 225/45/17 - now drives at the speed the speedo states!

Changed the oil (mobil 1 full synthetic diesel truck formula), filter, drained the fuel filter of water.

Is it typical to have a few small air bubbles in the fuel line after running for some time?? Never really looked before, but I checked and noticed it this time...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
tomo366 said:
Had the windows Tinted yesterday! wow!!:D that looks good on a Red Sportwagen!
pics!!!!!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Towed my camper off the back lawn and into the driveway. Realized that my trailer lights are wicked dim. I'm going to have to double check my wiring, I may have missed the 12V source.

With my camper I removed the old bi-metal mercury thermostat and replaced it with a new digital one. So far so good. Also installed a new mini-state TV antenna. Doing a few more upgrades to modernize my 1993 trailer. Adding a water pump, instead of the manual style. Some of that fake hard wood flooring, also adding more 12V lights. I wanted to pick up a deep cycle battery, 700W inverter and a solar panel. This way I could get cheaper sites and not have to worry about shore power. yay!

TDI_Votex

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Votex, 2003, Gris Platine
chirishboy said:
... - now drives at the speed the speedo states!
Actualy, approx. 4% less than what the speedo states.
chirishboy said:
Is it typical to have a few small air bubbles in the fuel line after running for some time?? Never really looked before, but I checked and noticed it this time...
Yes it is.

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
TDI_Votex said:

Yes it is.
Good to know about both!

With those smaller tires, it was prob closer to 10%...

Got a spare AC compressor layin around?? :rolleyes:

I got quoted $1400 for a refurbed install, flush and some other odds and ends for the AC... That sounds outrageous? It's beyond my realm of knowledge!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Just checked my 3-2 tail light converter. Turns out it's not a powered unit. So that's why my lights are dim! Guess I'll have to rig up a relay to supply 12V.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
TDI_Votex said:

Yes it is.
Both my 15" Blizzak's & my 17" Potenza's run almost exactly 3%. very different tire with identical circumferences.

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Replaced cabin air filter with Bosch charcoal activated, Replace front windshield (sand pitted to death), New TD"I"(red) Badge.... :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Drove the car down to see Paramedick to try to diagnose the ticky tick thumpy thumpy I have been having.

ticky ticky was heard at any rpm over about 1300 and was def worse when the car was in overrun like coasting downhill in gear.

thumpy thumpy has been recent in the last two weeks or so when taking off in first gear you can feel a rythmic something thru the clutch pedal taking off and had been concerning to me lately.

the car has also been puking oil out of the rear main seal and the brand new front crank seal (like less than 1k miles old) everywhere it goes.

Arrived at Bruces Place Thursday night after a 3.5 hour drive, parked the car in the garage for cooling off and got at it in the morning.

First thing we did was pull the glow plugs and check compression.
#1 440
#2 450
#3 450
#4 440

All are great for a car with 143k on it.

after that, we swapped in a used set of stock injectors he had. fired it up, noise is still there. ticky ticky when reving, thumpy thumpy when loading the clutch.

borrow a snap on boroscope, no dice, barely doesn't fit thru the injector hole, so we reinstall my sprints.

at this point, many phone calls ensue. deciding what to do. Bruce has a cam & lifters on the shelf, just in case there was something wrong with the ones i just put in when this issue started.

Bruce also has a complete rebuilt Franko6 head with 2 hole head gasket on the shelf.

after much debate, we decide to just bite the bullet and pull the head, swap on the good Frank head and cross our fingers.

once the head comes off, we decide to use bruces deck height gage to check the piston protrusion.

#4 comes up 39 thou above block
#3 comes up 40 thou
#2 comes up 40 thou
#1 comes up 30 thou..... Uhh wut?

after much rechecking,and cleaning the tops of the pistons (which look AWESOME BTW) we get the difference to be 6 thou instead of 10... which is still out of spec according to another call to Franko6.

Gotta pull the oil pan and pull the #1 & #2 Pistons & Rods and send off to Frank for matching... UGH.. moar money.. oh well, Im committed now.

After draining the oil, pulling the pan, calling my wife to let her know its not as cheap as a set of injectors... I come in and get told to go see Eric (korndawg, Bruces son) he shows me this, found in my Oil pan..

After seeing that, I committed to pulling all 4 pistons to see where the damage was if needed.

We pop #2 out first since its easiest to reach of the original 2 pistons we were pulling.

we then pop out the #1 piston and find out where thunk thunk was coming from.

here is what a good wrist pin should look like.

here is one where the brass retainer and the edge of the piston went out to lunch...

And here is what they had for their main course.. OM NOM NOM Cylinder wall..

in addition to all of that.. took a look at the inlet side of my VNT15, the turbine blades decided that they wanted to be a blender or something because every one of them had been chewed up around the outer edge of the inlet hole. (sorry no pic yet)

so ya.. see my signature. I need a longblock, top to bottom, front to back.

Yee.... Haw.

Bruce sent me home in his B4 Passat. He is a saint. Good Friends are priceless.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry for your troubles. I'm looking around for a short or long block and will let you know what I learn. I started up IBW this morning and listened very carefully: I worry about stuff like this as the car ages.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
My condolences... what a nasty thing to find. Bruce is about the most helpful guy ever, good thing he is somewhat close.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
My guess about what caused that was just my good luck.

seems to me like a freak of nature.

unless this motor has been apart before and I didnt know about it. I got the car with 108k on it.. it now has 143k on it.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Today I finally got around to fix the slow wipers.
Actually I started it yesterday with a shot of wd40 on the wiper arms, it still took me about 30min to get them off...
With the wiper assembly out of the car I couldn´t believe how badly the drivers side arm was stuck :eek:
The motor must be quite strong!

Now the wipers are back to their normal operating speed again.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
,681 gears installed in the Project 2001 Jetta

Well, it was really Friday night after I got the new gear set from Aaron...

The goal was to fix jumping out of 5th. Ordered a new syncro hub (slider ring), brass syncro ring from 1stVWParts, and the upgraded gears from Aaron.

5th gear shot (before the hub install):

Then I took a run to Dallas and back Saturday (90% freeway @ 70 MPH, A/C on 50%). :D

No wonder these ALH ('99 - 2003) 5 speeds are much sought after.:rolleyes:

Last edited: