Limp Mode

dokey

TDI
2004 Passat
I have a 2004 Passat TDI that I bought about a year and a half ago. About a month later it went into limp mode but the check engine light did not go on. I took it to a VW dealer who checked it but could not find anything wrong. They told me if it happened again with the check engine light on to bring it in. About 2 weeks ago it went into Limp Mode with the light on. I brought it in this past Tuesday and told them that when it goes into limp mode all I do is pull over, turn the engine off a restart it and it's fine. This Happened several months ago on the way home several times with the light on. every time shutting and restarting the engine corrected the problem and the check engine light went out until this time. I explained everything to VW and they tell me the turbo is bad and will cost $2400. I asked if they checked the hoses or relays but I never got an answer. The car's been running fine with the check engine light on. HELP!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
There's a list of mechanics on this site. There's also a sticky on limp mode.

I don't see a TC being bad sometimes and not all the time unless maybe sticky vanes. Do you wind it out once in a while getting on the freeway?

No need to stop to cure limp. I just turn the key off and back on.

dokey

TDI
2004 Passat
I picked it up from the shop, they cleared the code and the car ran fine on the way home (25 miles) .I asked for a repair estimate printout .No codes were listed but the tech noted Fault codes for Turbo Boost and N75 Emission Valve. Where can I find the Sticky on Limp Mode?

Last edited:

lgl61953a1

TDI
99 New Beetle
My '99 NB does that in 4th or 5th if I reach a certain rev point. Sticky vanes or something. Key off-on fixes it until next time. (NOT taking key out, still moving.) Can't do 70 if there's a head wind.

playback

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Not really contributing to the OP here but I thought I was the only one who cycled the key while still driving/moving. Glad to see there are other knuckle heads out there like myself :p

To the OP, a faulty N75 could cause limp mode quite easily, its an easy fix that you can do yourself. It is located up by the firewall next to the N18 sensor (they look the same). There are diagrams in the limp mode sticky to help you find it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589

Good luck!