"R" style lights compatible?

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Hi guys I'm posting for my bro he has a 2011 Golf DSG, that hed like to put a new set of headlights in... he picked up a set of the U style like is in the R.. I think they should fit as far as mounting but is there any coding that will need to be done to make them work? Thanks

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure that you need several things. You need adapters for the wiring because the plugs are different. And I believe that you need a new CECM module from a GTI or similar that had factory HID's.

I haven't done this yet, but I'm gearing up for it on my sportwagon.

In terms of fit, the headlights from a Golf R will fit fine in the Golf. If they have the "U" LED's then I think they are actually GTI lights. The R lights don't have the ring of LED daytime running lights.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Ok, does anyone know if theres any VCDS coding or anything that needs done for these lights to work?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
I added the GTI Bi-Xenons with the LEDs into my '11 Wagen. It is a lot of work, but worth it. To do the whole setup, you need a new CECM, Headlights, Bulbs, Ballasts, AFS Leveling modules, screws, mounts, Kufatec harness adaptors, and VCDS coding. Read up, there are guides out there, but it takes a lot of patience.

I sold my TDI back, though I am selling my headlights, bulbs, and AFS modules. The headlights needs some repair work, but could be a good project for someone. DM me for more info if anyone is interested.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
I got a pair of GTI xenons with the LEDs from a wrecked GTI. I’m not going to bother with the auto leveling right now. I grabbed the CECM, bulbs & ballasts, from the same wrecked GTI. Is there specific plug and play harness I need from kufatec for the xenons with LED vs the regular xenons?

I should be good to go with parts to make the swap, once I get the halogen to xenon harness adaptor?

Thanks,

Ron

I added the GTI Bi-Xenons with the LEDs into my '11 Wagen. It is a lot of work, but worth it. To do the whole setup, you need a new CECM, Headlights, Bulbs, Ballasts, AFS Leveling modules, screws, mounts, Kufatec harness adaptors, and VCDS coding. Read up, there are guides out there, but it takes a lot of patience.

I sold my TDI back, though I am selling my headlights, bulbs, and AFS modules. The headlights needs some repair work, but could be a good project for someone. DM me for more info if anyone is interested.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481943
Note that the Golf BCM (CECM) part number is different from the Wagon. Not necessarily interchangeable.
Thanks. I see you went through quite a bit of work to get yours working just right. I’m not sure that I can do all that, so I may try and see if I can get some help, before I mess something up :S

I’m not sure if it matters, as I have the hatchback TDI, with regards to the CECM being interchangeable.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at my existing CECM and it's part# is 1K0 937 086P and is the same as the one I pulled out from the 2012 GTI. Does this mean I can actually just use my existing CECM and just needs to be programmed, after headlights get installed + kufatec wiring harness?

And sorry to hijack this thread, I figure it's a forgotten one from a year ago, I could use...

Thanks!

Ron

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Found this old thread where they were able to use their existing cecm to power up the LED drls and the xenons. They weren’t able to use the high beams until cecm was updated to the highline. I’ll play with my existing cecm before I try swapping the one from the GTI, which has the same part number, but maybe a different software version or tweak?

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2641327#post2641327

Cheers,

Ron

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Found this old thread where they were able to use their existing cecm to power up the LED drls and the xenons. They weren’t able to use the high beams until cecm was updated to the highline. I’ll play with my existing cecm before I try swapping the one from the GTI, which has the same part number, but maybe a different software version or tweak?

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2641327#post2641327

Cheers,

Ron

Did the GTI have HID lights? Because lots of GTI's have Halogens. So just because its a GTI doesn't mean it has a highline CECM.

I am following because I want to do the same thing to my JSW. I have all the parts, just not the time!

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Did the GTI have HID lights? Because lots of GTI's have Halogens. So just because its a GTI doesn't mean it has a highline CECM.

I am following because I want to do the same thing to my JSW. I have all the parts, just not the time!
The headlights I have are bixenons, and came from the same GTI(in Canada). I’m waiting for headlight repair tabs and obd eleven and will fool around with the lights. I’ll def let you know how it goes when I get around to it.

I also messaged the owner of the wrecked GTI, to see if he is the original owner as he didn’t change the lights at all.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I think you need an 087 BCM. I tried to use my original 086, was going to do what you are planning, but the switching relays were not up to the inrush current for the HIDs. The right low beam went out permanently which means no right light at all with the biexenon. I could still hear the shutter click for the high beam. Decided to bite the bullet and do it properly. It’s not that bad. If you don’t install the levelling and AFS I think just the Kufatec harness and BCM plus the coding change. Thats pretty much plug and play. Even with AFS all you really do is run some additional wires, install the rear sensor and put a new connector in the fuse box.

I just did half of the headlight install wiring work to fix my trailer lights. Did it properly this time using power from the fuse box instead of direct from the battery. It’s not bad at all.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you need an 087 BCM. I tried to use my original 086, was going to do what you are planning, but the switching relays were not up to the inrush current for the HIDs. The right low beam went out permanently which means no right light at all with the biexenon. I could still hear the shutter click for the high beam. Decided to bite the bullet and do it properly. It’s not that bad. If you don’t install the levelling and AFS I think just the Kufatec harness and BCM plus the coding change. Thats pretty much plug and play. Even with AFS all you really do is run some additional wires, install the rear sensor and put a new connector in the fuse box.

I just did half of the headlight install wiring work to fix my trailer lights. Did it properly this time using power from the fuse box instead of direct from the battery. It’s not bad at all.
I’m going to see if it’s going to work with the midline cecm as
Going to have a forum member install for me, and he’s a little more familiar with the halogen to xenon swap. I’m going to give him BCM from
the GTI, if he runs into any issues with mine. And, worst case I’ll get him to swap in the highline bcm, if needed.

Thanks!

Ron

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
I have another question, as I’m going to see if I can get a hold of the AFS system, from that wrecked GTI. Is the sensor on the driver side rear suspension, and need to remove the plastic lining to get at it?

Also, is the afs module underneath the glove box? And is there anything else I need for the AFS?

Thanks

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a quick update, my electrical guy was able to get my midline CECM, that came with my car, working with the LED DRLs, along with both low beam and high beams. I believe he didn't have to tap into CECM, underneath the steering wheel. I believe he tapped the LED DRLs into the side marker lights.

I'm seeing him on Sunday, as I blew a wire changing my bulb on the driver side :S