www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 26th, 2018, 07:33   #18766
FJ40Jim
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: 44-52

The car had been getting noisier at idle lately, finally realized the DMF was about to fall apart. Also had noticed the clutch pedal felt 'rumbly' when depressed, indicating the TOB was dying. Pulled the trans and changed clutch this past weekend. The DMF was twisted, so accessing the FW bolts was impossible. Plaz-ed out the center of the FW to access the bolts. The TOB fell apart as it was removed from the release fork. We got our money's worth out of this 266k miles OE clutch assembly.

A new Luk 17-050 clutch & FW kit was sourced from RockAuto for ~$175. It fit & works perfect, though it also slips at WOT like the OE Sachs clutch did. Was expecting it to be grippier, per the consensus on this site. Also changed tranny oil for new 75W90 synth and adjusted shift cables. Overall, it drives like new.

Last edited by FJ40Jim; March 26th, 2018 at 07:36.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 08:15   #18767
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
It's going to be ghetto for a while. Too many other things on the burner to deal with it more than I have.
Well, you COULD rattle-can the fenders to a closer color match, then it would only be "ghetto-ish"!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 09:16   #18768
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

True. There's a website where you can buy their expensive rattle-cans that are filled with OEM colors, too. That's a good idea.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 18:11   #18769
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
The car had been getting noisier at idle lately, finally realized the DMF was about to fall apart. Also had noticed the clutch pedal felt 'rumbly' when depressed, indicating the TOB was dying. Pulled the trans and changed clutch this past weekend. The DMF was twisted, so accessing the FW bolts was impossible. Plaz-ed out the center of the FW to access the bolts. The TOB fell apart as it was removed from the release fork. We got our money's worth out of this 266k miles OE clutch assembly.

A new Luk 17-050 clutch & FW kit was sourced from RockAuto for ~$175. It fit & works perfect, though it also slips at WOT like the OE Sachs clutch did. Was expecting it to be grippier, per the consensus on this site. Also changed tranny oil for new 75W90 synth and adjusted shift cables. Overall, it drives like new.
That's a lot of work to put in a clutch that still slips...
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:45   #18770
kirktdi

complete timing belt kit, serpentine belt, thermostat and housing, temp sensor, G12, oil dipstick tube, new air filter.....running like new
kirktdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:55   #18771
CGDoig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg avg, 50 best

Replaced rear brake calipers @ 300k kms. The pads still have tonnes of life left and are only the 3rd set since new. Not too shabby.
Old April 6th, 2018, 09:12   #18772
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Two weeks ago I changed out the rear factory replacement dampers and installed Koni STR.T's; it was an easy job (relatively speaking) and have already put over 1600 miles on them. They are significantly firmer and they are quiet too. Last weekend I replaced the front struts assemblies with all new parts--all the parts were from IDParts--the Beef on a Budget setup. The fronts are now significantly stiffer and I don't drag the front backing out of the driveway anymore. The lower valance is at the same height front and rear, even though the front appears to be higher. I have not yet installed the rear Wagon springs, and I may not unless I will be towing. I am not sure if I want the raked look on my Jetta, but maybe after towing once the spring height may settle down enough to where I don't want to remove them whenever I am not towing. I will keep you posted.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 11:41   #18773
FJ40Jim
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: 44-52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
That's a lot of work to put in a clutch that still slips...
Yes, I'm painfully aware of that now.

The overdue work continues. After quieting down the DMF & TOB, other noises became more obvious, like the 260k miles wheel bearings.

Last weekend, installed new front wheel bearings & hubs. Replaced hubs so I didn't have to worry about damaging the tone ring on disassembly, and getting the inner race off that's always stuck on there.

Thursday the weather was nice, so I went to PnP JY and got a rear axle beam off a 2004 Jetta GLI w/ bigger RSB. Friday, stripped down GLI axle beam, pressed in solid SEAT Leon bushings purchased a while back from Cascade German .

Replaced rear wheel bearings & hubs. Cleaned & reset the junkyard calipers because they looked pretty new, certainly better than my 7 year old replacements. Hung new Zimmerman rotors and TRW German pads.
Swapped the fully loaded axle underneath the car, bled brakes, adjusted P-brake. Installed junkyard center console out of 2004 jetta with 3 cupholders.
Old April 17th, 2018, 18:20   #18774
boertje
Veteran Member

On my 2003 bug, did a complete brake job replacing the original brakes (128,000 miles), replaced the glow plug harness since we were getting codes, and replaced the right CV joint since water had gotten inside and worn out the joint,
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 22:18   #18775
autoloverzz

TDI(s): Jetta

Fitted car seat covers on me Amarok 2H which I got from these guys https://dingotrails.com.au/product-c...ransporter-t5/ . Real easy to fit so proud of meself 😆
autoloverzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 22:26   #18776
Diesl
Veteran Member

Put the summer wheels on. Splurged for VW storage totes for the winter wheels, since I still have money on the VW (now dealer) gift card. At 85k miles, all joints reachable from the wheel wells seem fine. Ditto for disks and pads.
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:22   #18777
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Put this on the GSW (shameless plug )

Old April 24th, 2018, 10:38   #18778
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Not today but three days ago, I ordered the high carbon rear rotors and ceramic pads to R&R the rear brakes on Sophie, my Jetta. I will post again after the swap occurs...
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 04:25   #18779
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I'm sort of in the middle of a knuckle replacement. I found that paranoid over tightening of the brake caliper pins is counter productive when the threads in the steering knuckle fail completely. Sigh...

So I bought a replacement from a local guy that recycles a lot of VW and Audi cars. It was rusty and looked ugly, but the threads are OK and the price was right. It even had attached tie rod end and LCA ball joint. Ha! Both those parts, as well as the hub and bearing are being replaced of course, but the upside is that leaving them on the knuckle preserved the tapered bore for those 2 ball joints.

I tanked the knuckle in my own electrolysis tank for cleaning iron parts. Just a plastic garbage can, water, washing soda, an old brake rotor for the sacrificial iron mass, and an old style battery charger for the power supply.

It worked great, looks like a very nicely treated part now. Last night I finished adding a new hub and bearing, a new ABS sensor, and removing the old ball joints, so it is basically ready for installation. Now I just have to finish removing the failed unit on my 4-dr. If only the rain would let up...

And yeah, I know I could have bought a complete brand new loaded one from Idparts for not much more than the stuff I've used and avoided the hassle, but I have parts to use up. And sometimes I'm just stubborn that way. Most of the new parts came from Idparts in the distant past anyway, so... !

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 11:27   #18780
crashtested
Veteran Member

Oil, Fuel, Air & Cabin filters and fresh oil last night - Good for another 15k km!