2002 injection pump leaking diesel?

redline808

TDI
Jetta
i just noticed a diesel fuel leak on my injection pump, it seems to be coming from the bottom section of the injection pump, i only say that because i didn't notice any wetness coming from the top half. but i did not bother to check the back side of the injection pump? car runs fine. any thoughts. i drew an arrow pointing at the fuel drip forming.

thanks.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Dry off the pump and then start the car and look for where the leak is coming from. Check the two upper seals and the o-ring at the pump head, these are common places for fuel to leak. If it comes from the top, it is easy to change those gaskets but you will need a special bit to remove the security screw. If it comes from the o-ring at the front, contact a guru or do a lot of research before attempting to change the seal. Otherwise you may have to replace the injection pump if you mess up with that seal. Don't ask how I know ;)

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
I'd check hose and line fittings too.

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
In finding such leaks, I find it useful to first spray the entire pump with a water soluable degreaser ["Simple Green"],
then wash off with water... and finally dry it off with compressed air or a strong leaf blower!
After the above your chances of seeing the source of the leak are much better when you start up to look again!.
Also a blue paper towel that is typically used in shops is good to "dab" wherever you suspect a leak...
as these towels turn dark when wetted!
It's probably a good idea to invest in a gasket/seal kit for your IP.
These run about $25.00!
Remember, the smaller-the-leak, the harder-it-is-to-find!
Regards,
Sam

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Classic pump head seal leak (probably in addition to other leaks). I can see it puddled up in the accessory bracket bolt reccess.

Check out the link in my signature.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I would personally avoid using simple green on the aluminum injection pump and all other surrounding aluminum components.

I use permatex earth soap with fantastic results.

TDI_bubble

Veteran Member
TDI
98 tdi bubble
Since the majority of the main case looks dry, its most likely the head seal oring where the cast aluminum/steel are at. Very common, I would replace the top seals while your at it, and reset the IQ/timing in one shot. If you have vagcom that is.

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
TDI
http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum
For regular things, sure. It takes corrosion off, but that corrosion is aluminum's corrosion.
Thanks for information on the citric-based Simple Green solvent... and it makes good precautionary sense where it says:
" Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow -
never for more than 10 minutes."
We have found in general that it was never necessary to let Simple Green soak very long...
and of course it makes sense that one should take special caution on thin aluminum plate on the skin of aircraft
where you probably do not want to take off the natural protective layer of corrosion that forms on aluminum !
Regards,
Sam Ross

redline808

TDI
Jetta
just an update, i have not replaced the seals in my ip yet. i have been slacking, mostly because it stopped leaking the day after i started driving on svo. now in diesel or svo, perfectly dry. i really should change the seals, my thoughts now are the seals have swelled up because of the svo and might be breaking down and being fed into my injectors?

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
TDI
... What is SVO...

just an update, i have not replaced the seals in my ip yet. i have been slacking, mostly because it stopped leaking the day after i started driving on svo. now in diesel or svo, perfectly dry. i really should change the seals, my thoughts now are the seals have swelled up because of the svo and might be breaking down and being fed into my injectors?
What is "SVO"... some kind of alternative fuel?
Sam

Dieselnoob

TDI
2001 TDI BEELTE Auto.
Bump

Will the pump head leaking be to the extreme that it can cause the pump to loose its prime, causing a no start? I ask because I believe this is what's happening with mine. I'll be getting the new seal kit next week, but wanted to know if I'm headed in the right direction.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Yep, if fuel leaks out while running, air can leak in while shut down. But leak would have to be pretty bad for that to happen. Suspect filter therm tee or shaft seal first.

My pump was leaking similar to OP's. It was hard to determine exactly the leak location, but there was wetness under the top cover/QA. I got the seal kit and decided to just do the two top seals first, as they are easier. That cured the leak. Head seal is apparently still holding.

Dieselnoob

TDI
2001 TDI BEELTE Auto.
Yep it will sit there and just drip while running, almost to the point where it seems as if it will be a steady stream, I can pull vacuum with the mityvac the next day when it wont start, crack the lines, and then it'll start right up. Thats why I think its the head seal. Car is just about to hit 100k