Unexplained clunk/click in front end? check your skidplate.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
I have recently been over my front end, I replaced the struts, Lca's bushings, one control arm and front pads and rotors and all was quiet until I replaced the brakes and then a clicking/clunking noise started in the left front, this continued to get worse of course my first instinct was to check over the brakes again( relube and retighten) all looked fine. Well today things were so bad I figured something was going to let go and soon, well as one last option I started poking around google and found referance to loose metal skid plates, so I figured that can't possibly be it but decided to check anyway, I found 2 slightly loose bolts, after tightening them out for a drive I go and the freakin problem was gone!! I couldn't believe that's all it was:eek: So anyway I hope this helps others in the same boat as me:)

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
to add to this....even if your skidplate bolts are tight, check the front posts at the rivnut, these can be loose as well.

2Dambad

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Also pay attention to the rubber spacers between the plate and car frame. I had the rubber spacers squished/destroyed and had the mystery noise for a few months till I could get under it and replace the spacers.

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
i basically let my plate make those creak and crack sounds as i begin to accelerate or move about in general as a means to let people/bystanders know that a car is coming.

it also helps to make people think i drive a clunker :D

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Also pay attention to the rubber spacers between the plate and car frame. I had the rubber spacers squished/destroyed and had the mystery noise for a few months till I could get under it and replace the spacers.
Huh? Rubber spacers? Must be a different brand (non DG) skidplate.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Don't forget the squeaky bedspring sound -- also caused by the skidplate if it's misaligned.

Just loosen the nuts (or bolts, depends on your model), wiggle the plate, and retighten. If it's been a while it can't hurt to clean the threads and put some fresh anti-sieze compound on.

P.