My new CCV system...Version 3.0

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Dupe post:
Hey Folks,
A quick question. I'm hooking up my CCV mod (KCTDI's).

I have the PVC braided tubing going to and from my strainer. Is it alright for the piece of tubing going back into the air intake (EGR end, back IN end) to be resting on the engine? It rests on the metal engine cover, top of the engine which gets very hot.

The braided PVC tubing I bought has a rating up to 150 degrees Centigrade. With the tubing resting on the engine all the time, basically being very hot all the time, is this ok? Will the tubing withstand the heat alright? Not melt?

Any comments appreciated,
Chris

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
No worries. It will be just fine resting on the valve cover. Mine has been that way for years. In fact, it has polished the top of the cover nicely as it has been rubbing :)

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Thx Nigel. Great. :rolleyes:

I guess same things goes for the strainer. I have it sitting just to the driver side of the oil filter reservoir. It's not touching the reservoir, but maybe could. I have one of the tubes a tiny bit too long, may have to shorten sometime when I have more time. It's well out of the way and back from the rad fans etc.

Sounds good. I'll check on it obviously time to time, to empty.

I put some Hero stainless steel scrubber inside the middle of the strainer. Didn't stuff a lot in there, but just a portion to fill it somewhat. Should I stuff a bit more in there, or just leave it?

CG:cool:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Here's a pic of my ccv mounting. I used a piece of bent strap metal bolted to the cast engine hanger. When the cover is in place the filter sits just to the right and is easily accessible with the cover in place.

[/IMG]

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Just wondering about the placement of the original wingnut system up near the radiator. For the northerners worrying about winter freezing, wouldn't it be better to place somewhere behind the engine where it would be warmer and protected from the sub-zero air + windchill factor?

Also for these folks, there could probably be something where a shroud around the exhaust could be used to bring warmer air up to the filter.

I thought I read in one of the CCV posts that someone thought the oil impregnated CCV air helped to lubricate the turbo in some way. Anyone second that???

I like the recent post with the engine mounted bracket as it keeps the system physically in synch with the engine movements...no hoses popping off.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just another update.

I was running the traditional KCTDI CCV mod for a while (excellent BTW). But found that the capacity was not enough. I blow by a lot of oil and it was filling up rapidly. I had to drain it once a month. And the fuller it gets, the less effective it is as there is less air volume inside to allow room for the vapors to condense. I was literally filling the thing up every month or so.

So, I upsized from a 3/4" strainer to a 1" strainer. It is much larger. The only additional hardware I needed was a couple of 1" to 3/4" reducers. They ran out of the plastic ones, so I had to buy iron ones. I will change them out at a later date

Here are the parts. You can see the size difference between the 3/4" one & the 1" one:

Here are the parts assembled:

Here it is installed:

I just used a bungee cord to attach it to the oil filter housing. I will think of something better, but this will do for now:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Hmmm, I bet you're getting a lot of blow buy due to the RC4, 11mm pump, and PP764s. My stock engine barely produces any oil vapor. Its been months and there's just a few mm of oil in the bottom of my filter.

Why bother with it though, if you have RC4 the EGR should be disabled, no?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yes, EGR is disabled due to my SRP. But I still don't want all that oil going into my intercooler. That my reason for doing this mod, not to keep the intake clean.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Wing, you know the turbo leaks oil past its seals too? You can't eliminate oil getting into the intercooler. Plus with the way I bet you drive all that oil never has a chance to accumulate.

I like my CCV filter, but right now my turbo is leaking more oil than my engine's blowby is losing.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Oh yes, I know my turbo seals do let some oil by. But you should see the accumulation I get in my CCV trap. I can fill the reservoir in a month or two. I need more volume to catch the oil as the little one would fill up too quickly and the more it fills up, the less air volume there is in there to allow the vapors to condense. Its like a snowball effect. the more it fills up, the less effective it is.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've had my KCTDI in place for 3yrs, check it about once every month or 2, and I have never had more than about a tsp of oil. In extremely cold weather- sub zero, water can accumulate very quickly, however.

Jarhead96

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Does anyone know of a US supplier for parts for the KCTDI-CCV system? Didnt seem to find anything at Northern Tool.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jarhead96 said:
Does anyone know of a US supplier for parts for the KCTDI-CCV system? Didnt seem to find anything at Northern Tool.
If you have a farm supply store in your area, that's where you should look for the parts. It is an agricultural product. The small strainer that Wingnut has in his picture is the smallest one made and should be adequate for our applications. I suspect the larger one pictured is the next size up.

Jarhead96

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
FYI: I did some digging and found the 50 Mesh Water Strainer @ West Marine for $21.99, and Defender.com for $17.99.
Apparently this is a marine product also.

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Does this mod completely eliminate tar buildup in the intake?

I just finished my second intake cleaning in 60K miles, and it sucks. The worst thing is that black tar gets EVERYWHERE. I managed to get some on my shoes, which got onto the mat between the garage and the house. Even though i took my shoes off before i went inside, my girlfriend stepped on that mat, and the grease transferred to her shoes, and tracked all over the house. Boy was she pissed!!!! I managed to get everything clean, but i can't imagine brakekleen is very good for carpets......

I've already adjusted my EGR down to the legal limit, but that was rather recently, so i don't know what effect it had.

I just did my timing belt this weekend, and cleaned out the intake system at the same time. I capped the port in the intake, and just left the hose from the breather hanging off the side of the valve cover. I either need to get a breather filter, or hook up this system. I would like to keep the PCV system intact, and legal, but not if it's going to clog the intake again. I'm not cleaning out that thing ever again.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)

troycrawford

TDI
'99 MKIV Jetta TDI
So, I'm a new '99 Jetta TDI owner and my rig has about 98,000 miles on it. I plan to clean my intake prior to having my local Upsolute distributor upgrade my programming. I'd like to perform this particular upgrade too as a preventative measure but based on what I'm seeing, even though it's been asked a number of times, I still don't see a specific parts list along with US distributors. Can someone please help so I can get the parts ordered or purchased asap.

Thanks much,

-Troy

tdiLF

TDI
jetta / 02 / silver arrow
list

I just went to the local Tractor Supply Company today and found the exact black filter is wing's pics. They had the different size filters as well as ones with a 50 mesh screen and ones with an 80 mesh screen. I also bought the 90° elbows, 3/4", threaded on one side and barbed on the other. Now I just have to get some braided 3/4" clear tubing and figure out how to mount the unit in my engine compartment. I already have the pipe clamps. So here is a list:

1---Poly Strainer (filter unit) 3/4" with 50 or 80 screen mesh (part number 3350-0035A - 80 screen mesh)
2---3/4" 90° elbows (one end threaded, one end barbed)
1---4' section of 3/4" braided tubing (this should be more than enough)
4---small pipe clamps (to keep tubing in place at all four points of attachement)
1---metal dishwashing scrubber (goes inside filter mesh)

and something to mount it in the engine compartment probably to the oil filter housing. Did I miss anything guys?

happy filtering

DBCFR

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf TDI
I just finished the mod on both my TDI's and will report back after the winter...

03 Jetta Wagon

04 Golf

TDI
Jetta, 2001, black
wing - I have been ghosting around here for a long time and I will say - YOU DA MAN!
you either really love that ride or your very bored or .... both...

From all the looky lous such as myself to the guys like you that make this site so great = ) THANKS ! for all the great help and advice...

Chikko

TDI
05 Golf GL
chrisjs said:
So has anyone experienced this newer strainer setup freezing in the winter?
You could always put a tablespoon of antifreeze in the bottom of the oil/condensate collection pot at every oil change. I don't know whether or not that would adversely affect anything, but I don't think that 1 tbsp would be likely to cause any harm (although you never know...) Maybe someone with some experience with these CCV filters could shed some light. But my understanding is that once things are in the bowl, they stay there - hence the concern of freezing.

1 tbsp of antifreeze even with 4 tbsp of oil/water should resist freezing quite well. In fact even if it did freeze up, so long as it didn't freeze in the hose and clog the ccv, I don't think that you'd have a problem (unless the bowl cracked, but even then it would still 'work', you'd just be venting ccv to atmosphere and have an elephant nose system for a while.) Just thinking out loud here, as I don't currently have one of these set up in my car - but I am considering it, and concerned with the freezing aspect as you are since it regularly dips below -25C here.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Well it was -17C here the other day. So far so good !!

DBCFR

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf TDI
So after a few weeks of -0 and 6000km I have some very different results.

In my 03 Jetta wagon automatic the filter has about 4oz of water and a very small amount of grey sludge mostly collected on the filter. The water is clear.

In the 04 Golf manual trany there is no water at all and about 2oz of oil.

No problems with freeze up that I have noticed.

Can anyone explain why there is such a different result???

Last edited:

fricker3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 and 2001 Jetta, 2002 New Beetle
davetdi2004,
I checked it out at Grainger and they say the max temp is 125 F. It has to get hotter than that under the engine cover.

Eric

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Hi I am trying to install the Kctdi filter on my 2000 Jetta TDI and I would like to ask where do you place the scubber inside the filter housing? is it in the bottom on the filter housing? and how big does it have to be? sorry for the dumb question but I am new and I am trying to learn from this forum, thanks for all your replies,

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Hi I am trying to install the Kctdi filter on my 2000 Jetta TDI and I would like to ask where do you place the scubber inside the filter housing? is it in the bottom on the filter housing? and how big does it have to be? sorry for the dumb question but I am new and I am trying to learn from this forum, thanks for all your replies,

Sorry I meant the Poly strainer Filter.

ssgacc

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black/Black
another alternative

Great thread guys! I finally decided to install one of these systems on my car. This part might be a good choice. Here's a link:

http://www.depcopump.com/catalog108/59.pdf

I chose the 36200-0000 for a few reasons. 3/4" barb fittings. Clear bowl. Super easy cleaning. Integrated mounting bracket. Spare parts available. Clogged filter bypass. 16 micron screen with a 50 micron available. Widely available and low cost. I paid $20. with shipping. I've seen on Ebay for less than $10. I'll see what I collect at next oil change.

Thanks,
Jim