VW rejects hybrids for better combustion engines..

RCmodeler

Veteran Member
What subsidies do oil companies receive which result in lower gas prices?

I agree with VW that diesel is superior to gasoline-electric, but I disagree that hybrids should be ignored. A simple hybrid that can recapture braking energy with a small supercapacitor would be worthwhile.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
[ QUOTE ]
Acutually there is a Huge resvoir of natarul gas in Alaska. But there is no resonable way for them to transport the gas to US cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]
And here in lies the GPD. (Great Pipeline Debate)

I believe we'll see the new pipeline being built in the next few years and this is a good thing. Natural Gas and its drilling is far superior in all respects to Oil ... unfortunately the two do tend to go hand in hand. I would like to see natural gas continue to be supported for most of our energy needs OUTSIDE of transportation. (although feel we could vastly improve on the capturing the potential energy going unused: solar, wind, hydro, tidal, etc) Hybrids, improved fossil fuel, biofuels and the 'Holy Grail' zero emissions hydrogen fuel cell or whatever in combination with conservation measures as our energy path.

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
Does anybody remember the movie "back to the future". They powered their car by "Mr. Fusion". I've been looking for one everytime I go to Walmart. I think this will solve all of our energy problems.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I want one to, an old banana peel and a half drank beer, can and all, and that was enough energy for the car to literally fly away.

-Jack

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
[ QUOTE ]
What subsidies do oil companies receive which result in lower gas prices?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, I already answered that pretty thoroughly on page 2 of this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with VW that diesel is superior to gasoline-electric, but I disagree that hybrids should be ignored. A simple hybrid that can recapture braking energy with a small supercapacitor would be worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, hybrid technology is nice for recapturing energy while braking. But, diesel-electric hybrids would be even better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RCmodeler

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, hybrid technology is nice for recapturing energy while braking. But, diesel-electric hybrids would be even better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
YES. I just said that: "I agree with VW that diesel is superior to gasoline-electric, but I disagree that hybrids should be ignored. A simple [diesel-electric] hybrid that can recapture braking energy with a small supercapacitor would be worthwhile." It was implied by the context what I meant.

Also, even though you talked about subsidies for oil companies you did not provide actual PROOF of your claims. If you compare the cost of gasoline minus gas taxes, we Americans and Europeans pay exactly the same amount (~$0.80 per gallon). If the American government subsidized fuel, that would not be true.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
YES. I just said that: "I agree with VW that diesel is superior to gasoline-electric, but I disagree that hybrids should be ignored. A simple [diesel-electric] hybrid that can recapture braking energy with a small supercapacitor would be worthwhile." It was implied by the context what I meant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except that you left out the words "diesel-electric", so it read like you were just talking about gasoline-electric hybrids.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, even though you talked about subsidies for oil companies you did not provide actual PROOF of your claims. If you compare the cost of gasoline minus gas taxes, we Americans and Europeans pay exactly the same amount (~$0.80 per gallon). If the American government subsidized fuel, that would not be true.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your $0.80 per gallon figure is off, and by a good deal.

Where does the money for paying for the strategic oil reserve come from? How about the $3 per barrel tax credit that US oil companies now get?

Sure, we could pretend that our war with Iraq has nothing to do with opening up the last remaining easily accessible large oil reserves in the world, and we could also pretend that the strategic oil reserve is free, etc. etc..

I've gone through this in more detail in the biodiesel forum if you feel like searching for it.

The base price (before tax) of gas in the rest of the world isn't much more than it is here in the US. The difference is, they add some of the hidden costs on in a petroleum tax (to pay for things like maintaining a military presence in oil rich parts of the world, maintaining their own strategic reserves, and so on). Yes, their taxes go beyond those expenses by a good deal though.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
i just found this thread, it's great. in response to Laphroaig's post on page 2...

If large agribusinesses made GOP contributions that approached those of the oil industry MAYBE they'd begin to see significant biofuel subsidization.

NH Mike - I learned so much from reading your posts. Thanks for for taking the time to post all that info. i haven't read every post but the current administration is phasing out the hybrid tax credit (no incentive to buy fuel efficient vehicles), and instituted a huge SUV tax credit (provide incentive for least efficient vehicles). /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I think Dean has a real shot and his proposed energy policies could begin to turn things around. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Energy Policy
http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=policy_statement_environment_energy

Renewable Energy Policies
http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=policy_policy_economy_energy_summary

RCmodeler

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Except that you left out the words "diesel-electric", so it read like you were just talking about gasoline-electric hybrids.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since when does the word "hybrid" imply gasoline-electric? NEVER. It can mean diesel-electric too, and that's what I meant. i.e. Volkswagen should be designing diesel cars AND diesel-electric hybrids.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. American gasoline is about $1.50 - 0.70 state/federal taxes = $0.80 actual price. European gasoline is about $5.00 - 4.20 taxes = $0.80 actual price. The actual gas, without tax, is the same amount.

As for subsidies, please show me PROOF that the oil companies get $3 a barrel from our government. I need more than "he said-she said-they said" before I believe anything. Cite sources.

Thank you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. American gasoline is about $1.50 - 0.70 state/federal taxes = $0.80 actual price. European gasoline is about $5.00 - 4.20 taxes = $0.80 actual price. The actual gas, without tax, is the same amount.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 80 cents is about right for the US (actually, it's often lower) - my comment was in regard to the price in other places. Consider for example just across the border in Canada. See:
http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/fuels/8741.htm
The average price there was 40 cents (Canadian) per liter. Converting to gallons (* 3.785) and to US dollars (divide by 1.3) gives a figure of roughly $1.16 per gallon - a good deal higher than the retail price before taxes here in the US. In Europe, it's roughly the same as in Canada.

[ QUOTE ]
As for subsidies, please show me PROOF that the oil companies get $3 a barrel from our government. I need more than "he said-she said-they said" before I believe anything. Cite sources.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read the Energy Policy Act of 2003. See the "SAFE" Act of 2001.

Starting with the "SAFE" Act:
http://www.taxpayer.net/TCS/PressReleases/7-31-01energy.htm
and
http://www.taxpayer.net/greenscissors/LearnMore/legislation/hr4analysis.PDF

Some analysis of the latest bill:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/local/7337592.htm
(focuses on a natural gas credit)

Some tips on calculating how much credit you (if you were an oil or other fuel producer - biofuels do not count for this credit) could take:
http://www.vcnet.com/carlson/calc.html

Your welcome. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

An additional issue is how US oil companies have been using the US tax credits for purchasing oil from overseas (i.e. if they pay tax in Saudi Arabia for oil purchased there, they get a US credit for that same amount) to reduce their oil costs. Essentially, they've been using the US tax credits to buy oil. This came to light a few years ago, and the methods by which they were doing it should have been fixed, but instead the administration has done nothing - and in fact may have even made it easier for them to do this. For a writeup of how they do it, see:
http://starbulletin.com/2002/09/15/editorial/editorials.html

Plenty more info where that came from. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RCmodeler

Veteran Member
Your links, while entertaining, were for bills that did NOT PASS. You are providing non-existent law as your proof?!?!? And you link about tax credits is about companies breaking the law. That's criminal activity NOT gov't policy.

ALSO, your prices are wrong. Look at this list. As you can see, the base price for gasoline is roughly equal for America and Europe (cents per liter www.gaspricewatch.com):
Italy 48
Britain 42
France 40
Germany 37
Canada 37
U.S. 36

If U.S. oil companies were receiving free money from the government, the gasoline would be MUCH cheaper than Europe... say 25 cents per liter. That is NOT the case, therefore it's apparent that the U.S. government does NOT subsidize oil companies.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Your links, while entertaining, were for bills that did NOT PASS. You are providing non-existent law as your proof?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Check your facts. The SAFE act passed:
http://www.mentata.com/ds/retrieve/congress/vote/VC107H16
"Passed 240 Yea to 189 Nay"
and see
http://www.house.gov/defazio/080201EGRelease.shtml

DeFazio and others introduced amendments to the bill to try to raise the fuel efficiency standards in the US (CAFE to 27.5 mpg), and to create incentives for alternative fuel vehicles - but they were struck down:
http://capwiz.com/naco/issues/votes/?votenum=311&chamber=H&congress=1071

An amendment WAS passed that limited the amount of exploration that could be done in ANWR to 2,000 of the 1.5 million acres.

I know the most recent Energy Bill has not yet passed - my reason for presenting it was to show that the same practices that have been done in previous bills, are still being done in the newest bills (if I had not presented the latest bill, you may have argued "sure, they did that in the past, but aren't doing it anymore"). I presented previous bills that DID pass and went into effect, and the latest bill introduced. If you want more examples, I can provide them.

[ QUOTE ]
And you link about tax credits is about companies breaking the law. That's criminal activity NOT gov't policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's something though that the government is making easier for companies to do, and an example of how the credits that ARE in place are manipulated. It's been well-known that oil companies have been doing this for a long time - but there is only an attempt at holding them liable for it when it gets too much media attention.

[ QUOTE ]
ALSO, your prices are wrong. Look at this list. As you can see, the base price for gasoline is roughly equal for America and Europe (cents per liter www.gaspricewatch.com):

[/ QUOTE ]
The price I used (for Canada) was almost the same as this one (I said 40 cents per liter, this says 37). It was the price YOU claimed that was wrong (80 cents per gallon).

[ QUOTE ]
Italy 48
Britain 42
France 40
Germany 37
Canada 37
U.S. 36

[/ QUOTE ]
And Japan, 63 cents.

As I said before, the European countries do also spend a lot of money on similar things as us (i.e. military handouts to countries in the middle east for favorable pricing, military efforts in the middle east, strategic oil reserves, etc.) - the difference is that they pay for those costs with a petroleum tax, whereas we pay for it with income taxes. For both, the cost to the oil companies is lowered by these efforts, but the difference is where the money comes from to pay for it.

[ QUOTE ]
If U.S. oil companies were receiving free money from the government, the gasoline would be MUCH cheaper than Europe... say 25 cents per liter. That is NOT the case, therefore it's apparent that the U.S. government does NOT subsidize oil companies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you assume that if they get a subsidy, that it would translate directly to a drop in price, rather than extra profit? 25 cents per liter would be roughly 1 dollar per gallon (a little less). Since there are roughly 180 billion gallons of gasoline and diesel sold in the US each year, that would require roughly $180 billion in subsidies. The subsidies aren't anywhere near enough to support that much of a drop in price. They can support a drop in price of a few cents per liter - with that money being paid out of income taxes. In the rest of the world, they use a petroleum tax to pay for things like military actions and investments to protect oil reserves - and add to that essentially a "sin" tax (so their petroleum tax is more than just the cost of military actions, investments in military equipment, strategic oil reserves, and other indirect costs of petroleum dependence).

[ QUOTE ]
That is NOT the case, therefore it's apparent that the U.S. government does NOT subsidize oil companies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then tell me what those tax credits and other issues are actually doing? Who pays for the strategic oil reserve? Who pays for the roughly $15 billion in military aid we give to middle eastern countries each year? Exxon? Nope - income taxes.

Canada's oil prices are only slightly higher than ours do to the fact that they are a net exporter of oil. If we aren't subsidizing oil, how could a country that is a net oil exporter end up paying more for their oil than we do, when we import more than half of our oil?

The UK benefits from the same policies as the US with regards to foreign military aid, etc., but like the other European countries, they pay for it with a petroleum tax. Another example of this is how the European Union (EU) is helping Russia build the Baltic Pipeline System to facilitate selling oil to the European countries (Europe gets a lot of oil from Russia, and wants to be able to get more from there). The EU has committed to helping Russia build the pipeline and other infrastructure costs, in exchange for oil trade agreements (lower prices, and committments to sell certain amounts of oil). This works the same as some of the US's foreign oil practices - exchanging military hardware, military protection, and other costs for oil trade practices. THe difference is, the European countries are paying for this cost out of the petroleum tax, rather than out of income taxes. They are getting lower priced oil from Russia in exchange for their investment in the pipelines and other infrastructure, which keeps their oil price not much higher than that in the US - but unlike us, they are adding the cost of those deals to the at-the-pump price with the petroleum tax.