2.0Tdi Flywheel going south

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Guys, the car is Altea 2.0Tdi BKD, manual, 6spd. The flywheel is on its way out. There is very faint rattle and rubbing when i press the clutch halfway. Is it safe to drive some time like this, or am I risking some major damage along the way ?! Is it possible to fit a single mass flywheel? What would be the downsides? Ty
p.s It rattles only faintly, if you listen, but rubs noticably on take off in 1st gear, when going very slowly in first or second gear. The engine produces like a muffled, faintly duller sound than normal at idle in neutral. Suggestions welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Have you owned that car for a long time?
Because the faint rattle and the "non linear" clutch grab is typical of DMF. it does sound and look to me as normal.
I asked you if you have owned the car for a long time to recognize a worsening set of symtpoms during your time of ownership.

About the SMF post the code of your transmission. AFAIK the 6 speeds are not suited for SMF because their syncros do not tke well the vibration transmitted from the engine trough the SMF ( the main advantage of the DMF is the dampening effect). Most 5 speeds take the beating ok becuse their syncros are made out of brass.

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Ok. I got it about the smf, wont do that. I am the first owner, 11 years of ownership. The car has 183000km on the clock. I will upload another video later. This noise when lifting and going was not there, the car olso changes sound a bit when idling in neutral and i press the brake... ty for the help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
If you have owned the car for so long and never have replaced the DMF it may be well worn out.
Might as well replace it