Front crank seal advice- install into dinged housing?

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hello folks,
Doing tb service on my bew engine, pulled the crank sprocket, some knuckle head (Prior to my ownership) put a small chip on the edge of the housing- my guess is they marred it trying to pull the seal.
Anyway, am i going to get a decent seal with it chipped like that?
Also,
I don’t have the VW seal install tool- can i just slip a pvc pipe (with correct diameter) over the seal, then use washer and crank bolt to drive the new seal?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hello folks,
Doing tb service on my bew engine, pulled the crank sprocket, some knuckle head (Prior to my ownership) put a small chip on the edge of the housing- my guess is they marred it trying to pull the seal.
Anyway, am i going to get a decent seal with it chipped like that?
Also,
I don’t have the VW seal install tool- can i just slip a pvc pipe (with correct diameter) over the seal, then use washer and crank bolt to drive the new seal?
If it were me I would smooth out the inside part so the seal would have nothing to snag on.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That being on the outer edge, if that’s all the damage there is, I’d smooth it carefully and put a new seal in.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Suitable size socket, or similar. Be careful not to nick the lip. If it is one of the newer Teflon seals (with no spring around the lip) then you will need to be aware of the procedure for installing those.

The old seals with the spring get a film of oil before installing. The Teflon are installed dry after cleaning the crank seal area with alcohol (dollar store). Once in place they must set for about 4 hours before the crank moves.