Rear Brakes Beetle 1999

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
Hi
I have just replaced most of the rear brakes on the Back of my 1999 TDI Beetle. I am not getting any fluid from the lines just where I connected the new Brake Lines I installed. Could anyone point me in a helpful direction?
Robert

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i am assuming you changed the rear pistons/ calipers and your trying to bleed them.
are you using a suction tool or a pressure bleeder, or the old school method with a bottle?

Chances are your ABS needs to be delt with. Check for how to bleed by doing a search on the forums.

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
i am assuming you changed the rear pistons/ calipers and your trying to bleed them.
are you using a suction tool or a pressure bleeder, or the old school method with a bottle?

Chances are your ABS needs to be delt with. Check for how to bleed by doing a search on the forums.
Yes I rebuilt one and replaced the other Caliper. I also replaced the rear brake lines . All new rotors/pads etc. I ran a VAGCOM scan and there were no ABS faults and no indicator light respecting the ABS showed up when the key was in the on position. I am not sure if such a missing Code for ABS Brakes without actually running the vehicle is a credible test but that is what I did.
I tried to bleed the Nipples at each of the Rear Brakes and found no Brake Fluid present whatsoever. As such I removed the new lines at the rear where the old one was connected and NO fluid could be seen even when the brakes were pumped. I may have inadvertently had some dirt fall into one of those connectors, but I was careful not to, but both of them; that seems a bit unlikely.
So with both lines off at the rear axle (everything that I replaced with new lines), no brake fluid can be seen at either of these locations, even by pumping the brake pedal.
I have bled lines before (this time I did try a suction apparatus) but I am stymied by this situation.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
from my experience, the bleed suction tool works ok at best. The trick is that once you open the bleeder screw, you need to apply some axle grease around the thread and the caliper body. this seals the threads for a good suction.

I prefer to use a bleeder pressure tool though. works flawlessly and with less hassle. Sounds like your entire system is dry.

suck all the fluid from the resivior and fill it up to the top. use a pressure bleeder.

From what i remember if you get air into the ABS body, you need to do some trickery with vcds to bleed it. do a search on that.

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
from my experience, the bleed suction tool works ok at best. The trick is that once you open the bleeder screw, you need to apply some axle grease around the thread and the caliper body. this seals the threads for a good suction.

I prefer to use a bleeder pressure tool though. works flawlessly and with less hassle. Sounds like your entire system is dry.

suck all the fluid from the resivior and fill it up to the top. use a pressure bleeder.

From what i remember if you get air into the ABS body, you need to do some trickery with vcds to bleed it. do a search on that.
Hi Mongler98
Thank you for your reply. You said "I prefer to use a bleeder pressure tool though. works flawlessly and with less hassle. Sounds like your entire system is dry." and you are absolutely correct. I looked a little deeper into my issue and on the drivers side there is a small reservoir and it is absolutely empty. I am now getting a Pressure Bleeder setup so I can push some Brake Fluid through the system.
I am a little confused by your sentence "suck all the fluid from the resivior and fill it up to the top" . What is the purpose of sucking all the fluid from the reservoir and then filling it backup to the top. I assume you want to dispense with the Brakwe Fluid thatn is in there and replece it with new, is that correct?
Thanks so much for your help, I truly am a noob at Brakes
Robert

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Yes, if you pull fluid out the top of the reservoir, that's just less dirty you end up pushing through the system.

I truly am a noob at Brakes
Read thoroughly about it, then read some more. Very doable for any able-bodied who's motivated.

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
Yes, if you pull fluid out the top of the reservoir, that's just less dirty you end up pushing through the system.

Read thoroughly about it, then read some more. Very doable for any able-bodied who's motivated.
Hi STDOUBT and Mongler98
Thanks a lot for all the assistance. It was a great help for me.
Robert

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yes, i always take the resivior off if its dirty, like really bad, and soak it in some brake cleaner and what not till its clean, then put it back on, fill with new fluid.

If you can find some blue ATE fluid it helps BIG TIME.
I always push a little bit of it into each of the lines then suck it out of the resivior, then go at it, soon as i see the blue go away i know its 100% new fluid in the lines.

Protip, you cant buy it anywhere as its banned by the FDA because it was blue.
I have 12 cans of it left and plan on keeping it for life. I use about 1 can every 5 years as i use it sparingly and not as a full system full fluid.

Seeing as you ran it dry, you want to bleed that suckweed with pressure for sure. I never use the pressure systems the way they were made to be used. The problem is that brake fluid absorbs water even from the air. So i never ass the brake fluid to the tank. i just use it to pressurize the system. make sure you refill the resivior every time you do a side. you dont want to let it go low.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Having let the reservoir go dry, you have let air into the ABS pump. After you bleed the system as well as possible, you will need to find someone with a VCDS to help bleed it the rest of the way. There will be some air bubbles left in the pump no matter how much fluid you pump through the system, and VCDS will be needed to get the rest out. Even then, it is an exercise in patience and strong quads.

Good luck,

PH