www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 7th, 2018, 09:14   #76
jason_
Veteran Member

Op, you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your hitch install with all coverings removed, would you?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 18:38   #77
Jedadiah
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Op, you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your hitch install with all coverings removed, would you?

I double checked on my computer, and I donít have any pictures with the bumper covers off..
Jedadiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 04:43   #78
740GLE
Veteran Member

I can't seem to find the one that the guy did for a mk7 but same concept here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=custom+hitch
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 08:16   #79
jason_
Veteran Member

Oh wow.

The European hitch uses the long reach holes along main "rail", which are deep reach?

Does this concept apply to the mk7?

If so I'll just buy the Eco hitch and add some angle or square stock and grab 4 more heavy anchor points... ... Best of both worlds.

Old August 9th, 2018, 04:51   #80
740GLE
Veteran Member

correct, take a look at the westy install manual for an idea. One thing an eco hitch does is retain the stock bumper bar, where the westy replaces it with a square bar, thus if you get rear ended all that force will go right to the frame rail mounting points not the flat mounting points thus compressing the rails more uniformly.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_fitting/321782.pdf
Old August 9th, 2018, 18:12   #81
Jedadiah
Veteran Member

Not a deal breaker for me, but you also have no tow hook with a euro hitch. On the MK7 it threads into the bumper bar. Iíd have to have some pull me out of a ditch with my hitch.

The good part about the tow hook being part of the bumper bar is knowing that VW definitely is confident that the bumper bar mounting points, which the ecohitch uses, can support pulling the weight of the car itself.
Jedadiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:55   #82
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedadiah View Post
Not a deal breaker for me, but you also have no tow hook with a euro hitch. On the MK7 it threads into the bumper bar. I’d have to have some pull me out of a ditch with my hitch.
The good part about the tow hook being part of the bumper bar is knowing that VW definitely is confident that the bumper bar mounting points, which the ecohitch uses, can support pulling the weight of the car itself.

Pulling the car via tow hook doesn't mean the tow hook can support the weight of the car (3,400 lbs), pulling a car out of a ditch def doesn't require that much force, maybe half that? Also any rope that can be tied to the tow hook can be tied to the receive hitch.
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:04   #83
jason_
Veteran Member

hm.

I used that tow hook and pulled my 1ton truck home one day.

I was hauling cement in the back and tore the center of the clutch disk out

So it power assist brakes and steering.

vw pulled that dude home no issues, and we used the truck to slow the car to keep strap nice and tight so there's no jerk taking off.

worked good. truck is almost 6000 empty, I had probably 3k in the bed.

Last edited by jason_; August 10th, 2018 at 06:23.
Old August 13th, 2018, 04:38   #84
740GLE
Veteran Member

a toureg pulled a 474, and a Tundra pulled the space shuttle.

I think everyone can agree small vehicles can slowly move crazy large masses, but that doesn't mean the stock tow hook location can support the weight of the car. Maybe it can but I'd be impressed by those small fasteners used to secure the bumper bracket to the frame rails
Old August 13th, 2018, 04:58   #85
jason_
Veteran Member

I was.

Getting a running go and using a chain. That will be bad.

Old August 19th, 2018, 22:35   #86
moonlite
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Pulling the car via tow hook doesn't mean the tow hook can support the weight of the car (3,400 lbs), pulling a car out of a ditch def doesn't require that much force, maybe half that? Also any rope that can be tied to the tow hook can be tied to the receive hitch.
In my past life, I drove a wrecker (a tow truck with the boom in the back) for two years. In my training classes, we were told that the pulling tension can be as high as 3 times the weight of the stuck vehicle when the vehicle is stuck in the mud. Of course, this is a worse case scenario where the axles or control arms are buried in the mud.

If you lose the factory tow point because of the aftermarket hitch, there are receiver shackles that will fit in the hitch. I'm not sure about the 1.25" hitches, but there are some for 2" hitches.
moonlite is offline   Reply With Quote