lost turbo power

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
I'm sure this subject has been covered over and over.

I was out for a little drive this am and noticed I have no turbo power, consistently.

I was out for a bit last night as well and noticed, momentarily, a lack of turbo power, but it didn't last and the engine was immediately back to it's normal self.

I also noticed this am a message "check emissions control" or some such thing.

Where do I begin checking to see what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Hughc

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Scan it with vcds and see what the code is. So far each time I've lost boost it was because of a hose or a vacuum line from them being old/having a hole in it. Also check all the wiring connections used with the intake system. That plastic sleeving they use like on the N75 connector for example, sometimes gets cut and since it's hard/sharp it cuts the wires. I had to splice that connector back together one time and the car was fine. So far I've replaced the two smaller vacuum lines and the turbo inlet hose and the 90 degree hose up top on the EGR valve. Hope this helps.

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
What a break for me. I took the passat to my local indie and the problem was quickly resolved. With four cars and a motorbike to take care of I am getting somewhat negligent on my maintenance and it turns out the air filter was very dirty and even worst the snow screen was completely blocked. No air=no boost.

Thanks to those that replied.
Hughc

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
There is a secondary inlet that bypasses the snow screen. Better to clean it, but it doesn’t cause an air restriction. Air filter was your main problem.