On-again, off-again about the new VW Microbus

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Re: VW Microbus, Minivan May Join U.S. Lineup

This is one of those continual teases of VW. It is an "on again - off again" VW rumor. In the past year, VWAG has sent several conflicting signals concerning this project.
Just last week, I read another VW exec being quoted that they had abandoned the Microbus project due to impossible safety issues...now they say, "keep talking about it."
Isn't there a phrase for that kind of tease?
If you hear of where I can sign up, let me know!

[This message has been edited by SteveS (edited March 09, 2000).]

LisaStark

New Microbus At Detroit Auto Show

A TDI engine isn't anticipated for the showcar but maybe for the production version (but hopefully more powerful than 90 horsepower!).

VW is expected to introduce a new Microbus, a new version of the old hippy "peace bus," at the North American International Auto Show in January; please see the full story and photo in Beetle Buzz's VolksWatch: http://www.beetlebuzz.com

Lisa
Multimedia Editor/Writer/Forums Administrator, Beetle Buzz

S

SkyPup

New VW MicroBus

Sure looks good, wonder if the TDI version will be available here in the US. Check it all out over on the Vortex, it is on exhibit at the Detroit Auto Show this week. www.vwvortex.com

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited January 08, 2001).]

S

SkyPup

Re: New VW MicroBus

Now for the GOOD NEWS, there is a real possibility this baby will be turbodiesel powered
Finally a super green eco-camper that gets excellent mileage, has adequate power for steep grades, and is an OEL BURNER!

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

I've been anticipating seeing this for a while.

I'm sorry, but that thing is really UGLY!

(Of course I still want it with a TDI.)

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (UPsolute chip; VNT turbo tweak; K&N; removed MAF screens, lower airbox screen, intercooler vent grille, and OEM air intake blockages; spare Relay 109; euro badge (red "DI"))
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T (UPsolute chip pending; K&N)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW

I don't like the headlights- round would look a lot better to me and more like the original.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

Found this one on the Vortex

DB

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The round headlights do look better. The tail light assemblies need some help too- perhaps something like the 99/00 RX300?

M

mickey

I like the one with the round headlights a lot better.

Ugly or not, if it's available with a TDI....I WANT ONE!!! I'd do a wheelchair conversion and Sean would be in "Beetle Van" heaven! Especially if we could get a bright yellow one! (If not, I'd paint it yellow.)

-mickey

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen

In the Vortex article that seems to be straight from a VW brochure I find it strange that they keep referring to the van as a newer version of the old Type 1.

Just so that we TDIers can be Volkswagenly correct here, the type 1 was the beetle and Karman Ghia. The microbus was the type 2 or type II. The Convertible bug was the type 15 and the fastback and squareback models were the type IIIs.

------------------
Jack from Anaheim
'70 Convertible VW Bug.
'00 Silver NB TDI Auto.

Sooty

Veteran Member

That is one ugly vehicle.

Was it designed for people with particularly wide heads, just look at those head restraints?

But why do I get the feeling that in about 20 years time young Australians will be driving them around Europe

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen

I love it but must agree, the round headlights look better. The headlights on it now make it look a little like the front of a train.

I told me wife that I would keep my TDI NB for at least ten years but if this comes out in a diesel version I'm going to have to go back on my word.

Too bad it doesn't still have the split front windshield like the '67 and older they are trying to emulate.

[This message has been edited by Jackmc (edited January 08, 2001).]

Sacha

Veteran Member

This thing is plain ugly

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI, Atl.Blue/Beige leather, Sunroof, bug deflector, Cd changer, 5 speed, drop-in K&N air filter, descreened(all of them), H&R springs(not installed yet), Solar guard tint with 35% fronts and 18% rear windows.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green

Dude. That is ugly, but cool. think diesel must have a whole plethora of left nuts. Every other week I see him hawking it for some new automotive offering.

If that came to the states with a TDI, I'd have to consider it over the Jetta Wagon I'm waiting for.

It looks like you could easily seat 6 in that thing. That's the only thing I dislike about my Jetta. It only seats 4 comfortably and with a child safety seat in the back, any adults in the back seat will be scrunched from the side. Well, actually, that and that it doesn't have the 2/3 to 1/3 split back seat for stowing long gear.

My only question is, where is the gear going to go? The seats run all the way to the back of the van.

------------------
The TDI Owners' Premium Diesel Fueling Station List: http://www.geocities.com/svenfoucault.geo/tdi/premdiesel.html

[This message has been edited by Beowulf (edited January 09, 2001).]

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons

I`m not quite sure if it is ugly or not but put a TDI in it and I`d pass my Passat wagon over to my wife and get one of these for myself. The Jetta wagon I`ve been waiting for no longer looks so good to me either Beowulf. I sure could use the room in this thing.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member

The round headlights are better looking. Drop a 150hp TDI in it and I'd have to get one for camping and biking. That thing is sweet.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

This rendition is better. I would like to see a model with the upper body color encapsulating the entire front hood. I agree with a bigger logo, but the split windshield would be a big negative for me. Add TDI, 4Motion, and 6" of ground clearance would make me happy.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

even without the diesel I think it would be cool to have.

Showed it to my wife and wow instant gotta get.

I personally like the look of the concept headlights and think the round headlights look dorky.

And well since we will be looking for somethin to replace the 225k mile '86 Volvo 245 in 2-3 years when my Golf is paid off this should fit the bill. The Passat wagon was the first choice until I showed here this.

Although I would prefer to see this thing turbo-charged rather than naturally aspirated

CecilTortoise

Land Duck,

This is a quote from the guy that modded the pic.
"I've also envisioned it as a bottom-breather like the New Beetle, which allows removal of the grille slats above the bumper. This gives it a cleaner, more retro look."-Y2Kgolf

Sounded good to me

tommy37

Veteran Member

Eye of the beholder, and all that--I think it's ugly, ugly, ugly. The round lights help, and hints of the old front end two-tone pattern are encouraging.

But at least VW may finally be getting serious about a minivan for the US market. The Eurovan has its advantages, but I don't think it can seriously compete with the Toyota, Honda, and Chrysler minivans, to name a few. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)

Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camper:
$35,000 and V6 only. Sorry guys but just another mini van, but if they did add a diesel then I would be interested.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! I knew this would be too expensive for my tastes, even if it IS ugly. I don't think ANY VW is worth $35,000 off the floor... unless it's fast, fast, fast. But that's just my opinion...

------------------
Scott's Jetta TDI Page and TDIClub.com Stuff
98 Jetta TDI w/100k, 802-mi/55-mpg (best)

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.

It sure is goofy looking!

------------------
Ric Woodruff

"3 years of TDI Driving
and Counting"

1998 Jetta TDI Custom Sport

NBKrissie

Veteran Member

I love it! I also like the headlights. It so IS NOT the crappy American mini-van. Bleh.

BTW, how many of us, pre-TDI purchase, told our spouses we would "drive it for at least ten years?" hahaha. This too was one of my 'arguments' for purchase, along with the fuel economy and the free servicing. Thank god my spousal unit agreed to sell our Fraud Exploder to get the TDI! [Sold it prior to all the publicity and made some money on it.]

------------------
01 NB GLS TDI Techno-Blau