Jetta Volume Knob Going Crazy

Screamscape

TDI
2014 Jetta
Quick question... have a 2014 Jetta TDI which I believe has the RCD510 audio unit in it. (or at least, looks just like it... not sure how to tell. 6 CD changer w/ Sat, no Nav.

To get to the point the volume knob has gone crazy...you turn it up and sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down, often it will jump all the way to the bottom with a single "click" upward. This is the style knob that just spins and spins... so I was hoping if I could remove it, maybe I could put some contact cleaner in there and fix the problem, as the pot is probably just dirty/dusty.

Problem is, if I tug on the power/volume knob, it doesn't seem to want to come off. So before I take a pair of pliers to it and try to yank it out like a tooth, I thought I'd check with other owners first to see if it is designed to come off, or if it is hardwired in to the circuit board and non-removable at all.

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
I have a similar issue with the volume knob either being delayed on action or just not working. The ring part around the knob (technical term:)) slides off on mine fairly easily. I wonder it that's part of the issue. Since I have a CPO warranty, I may try to get over to the dealer soon since I would assume it would be covered.

For now, I use the volume rockers on the steering wheel and have no issues with those.