H&R springs for MK7 Sportwagen TDI

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
According to H&R site, there are new sport springs for VW Golf VII Sportwagen TDI:

http://www.hrsprings.com/application.../38/1758/2015/

it even states in the notes:

"For cars with twist beam axle rear suspension only. Incl. DCC"

Is this the very first set out there for GSW TDI??????????????

Who is gonna pull the trigger first??
I would be curious to see how that looks....With the specs on the springs, the rear is going to drop alot, and a rear rake is :eek:

SnowBeer

TDI
MK7 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI 6MT
Just eyeballing mine, I'd say the rear is at least half an inch higher, so I would say H&R did this intentionally. I measured the gap roughly from tire to fender in the rear and its over 3"! I'm traveling for a week, then hoping tire rack can order and ship them to me when I return.

Ruso Turisto

TDI
2015 MK7 Wagon Highline 6 speed MT
Just eyeballing mine, I'd say the rear is at least half an inch higher, so I would say H&R did this intentionally. I measured the gap roughly from tire to fender in the rear and its over 3"! I'm traveling for a week, then hoping tire rack can order and ship them to me when I return.
Thanks! :D Just put 19" BBS on my wagon, I need a drop

xtsallad

TDI
'15 MKVII tdi sportwagen se 6mt
I would like to lower my wagon. I also hope to learn where to purchase springs for it online. I perceive the wheel gap as absurd. None of the marketing and promotional material VW uses even shows the U.S. spec wheel gap. I was "shocked" at the size of the gap once I saw my wagon in person. I still bought it. I hope to get "sprung" instead. lol. I am aware that this isn't a sports car, although every other aspect of the aesthetic design, aside from the near SUV sized wheel gap, suggest it is.

Last edited:

Ruso Turisto

TDI
I would like to lower my wagon. I also hope to learn where to purchase springs for it online. I perceive the wheel gap as absurd. None of the marketing and promotional material VW uses even shows the U.S. spec wheel gap. I was "shocked" at the size of the gap once I saw my wagon in person. I still bought it. I hope to get "sprung" instead. lol. I am aware that this isn't a sports car, although every other aspect of the aesthetic design, aside from the near SUV sized wheel gap, suggest it is.
They will settle in a bit, I am at 4k kms and the car is definitely sitting a bit lower than when I picked her up. Also, be careful before ordering these HR springs, the guys at vortex forum are saying this might be a typo and there are no actual springs for GSW TDI, only for GSW TSI so far.

SnowBeer

TDI
I haven't seen anyone saying that. The H&R website was recently updated and lists part numbers different then that of the standard golf and specifically says this one is for the torsion beam axle.

You can now order them from tirerack.com too. I think a couple of us a reluctant because we don't want too aggressive of a drop, and no one wants to be the first guinea pig. Most of us seem to simply want a ride height like that of the euro golf gtd/gti wagen, but we are probably up 1.5" in the rear from that.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I haven't seen anyone saying that. The H&R website was recently updated and lists part numbers different then that of the standard golf and specifically says this one is for the torsion beam axle.

You can now order them from tirerack.com too. I think a couple of us a reluctant because we don't want too aggressive of a drop, and no one wants to be the first guinea pig. Most of us seem to simply want a ride height like that of the euro golf gtd/gti wagen, but we are probably up 1.5" in the rear from that.
My issue is rear being too low...I like the front rake look on cars, especially when its a long setup like we have. For my personal taste, I imagine coils are the only way to go, which is a long ways off. I found the A3 w/ Koni's and VWR springs a bit harsh...guess I'm getting older

xtsallad

TDI
I just ordered some of the H&R sport springs from Tire Rack and they won't ship until July 1st at the earliest. TR has to import them first. I'll post measurements and images early to mid July when I install them.

Ruso Turisto

TDI
I just ordered some of the H&R sport springs from Tire Rack and they won't ship until July 1st at the earliest. TR has to import them first. I'll post measurements and images early to mid July when I install them.
cool, please keep us in the loop

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Hmmm. ECS Tuning lists them for sale, but they ship direct from H&R. I wonder if they are actually shipping yet? I'm running H&R springs on my E30 and have been really happy with them.

Springs is going to be one of the first things I do to my new SW. Maybe this has been covered in another thread, but any people running VWR springs in their MK VIII TDI's? Or Neuspeeds?

Last edited:

SnowBeer

TDI
Hmmm. ECS Tuning lists them for sale, but they ship direct from H&R. I wonder if they are actually shipping yet? I'm running H&R springs on my E30 and have been really happy with them.

Springs is going to be one of the first things I do to my new SW. Maybe this has been covered in another thread, but any people running VWR springs in their MK VIII TDI's? Or Neuspeeds?
I'd be careful, the part number listed on ecstuning is for the regular golf kit, not the new kit number for the wagen from H&Rs website. I think they made an incorrect assumption. The lowering amount is also from the regular golf tdi and not the GSW numbers.

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Thought I'd share a picture Raclingline sent me of a SW on their VWR springs (VWR31G7BA). This is a bit low for me, and I don't like the reverse rake. Now they admit that these are not SW specific and do not take into account the additional weight of the SW as opposed to the Golf.

I'd really like to see how this car sits on the H&R springs! Hopefully they work out better than the VWR springs. I really don't want to go with coilovers at this time. Or maybe there is a way to raise the height a bit with different (or additional) spring pads?

SnowBeer

TDI
Thought I'd share a picture Raclingline sent me of a SW on their VWR springs (VWR31G7BA). This is a bit low for me, and I don't like the reverse rake. Now they admit that these are not SW specific and do not take into account the additional weight of the SW as opposed to the Golf.

I'd really like to see how this car sits on the H&R springs! Hopefully they work out better than the VWR springs. I really don't want to go with coilovers at this time. Or maybe there is a way to raise the height a bit with different (or additional) spring pads?
Rear is way too low. This car has the gti or gtd badges on the side, I wonder if it is stock north American version otherwise.

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
I think if they make a specific spring it will sit perfect....I don't see the rear rake you talk about I see it level, the rear wheel wells have a different height than the fronts...But that being said if the rear was up about 1/2 in or so it would be right how I want mine to sit...

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I heard back from Racingline. This is a US spec car. They just put GTD badges on it to dress it up.

I understand what you're saying about the wheel wells. But it still looks like reverse rake to me. Even Racingline says there is reverse rake.

Curious to see what the H&R's look like.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I heard back from Racingline. This is a US spec car. They just put GTD badges on it to dress it up.

I understand what you're saying about the wheel wells. But it still looks like reverse rake to me. Even Racingline says there is reverse rake.

Curious to see what the H&R's look like.
GSW on H&R's

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7149277-GSW-Spring-Sets&p=87908992&viewfull=1#post87908992

I think the front has a much larger drop, but the rear did not rake as I expected with the 1.8" drop listed

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Thanks skramer! Going to post the pictures here so everyone can see what we're talking about. Hopefully I'm not violating forum etiquette. :)

This looks OK to me!

Front:

Rear:

Last edited:

Ruso Turisto

TDI
Aggressive! There is even a bit of a reverse rake with these springs. According to vwvortex, this can be fixed by installing Audi TT rear spring pads which are 7 mm thicker, should be very easy considering our rear suspension setup.

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Thanks Ruso. I have springs on order and might have a set of those upper spring pads on hand just in case. Looking forward to installing them!

xtsallad

TDI
My h&r springs arrived last week and I installed them today. The images I took are with my car in my driveway which is slanted toward the back of the car. It still has a slight forward rake @⅛" or 3mm but on a level surface the forward take increases to ¼ " or 6mm. The wheel gaps on a level surface are ¾" or 19mm in the front and 1" or 25mm in the rear. The springs lowered the car more than the estimate of 1.2" front and 1.8" rear on h&r's website which I'm really happy about.

I used the scrap 2x4 method for strut removal without removing the hub or the transaxle bolts which I've seen on some of these forums and the front drivers side was easier than the passenger front. The strut wanted to twist and move quite a bit when jacking it up with the board on re-installation for both. Worse on the passenger side due to the shape of the spring perch accommodating the exact same spring shape but on two different sides of the vehicle. from the right side vs the left side. Once I found the right placement for the board it was fine. The lowering spring doesn't have to be compressed much so I used really thick zip ties to keep the strut and the piece of wood somewhat close together. It would have been more safe to either remove the hub or the bolts at the transaxle but I was working alone and would probably choose the same method if I were to do it again. It took me about 4.5 hours including the spring compressor rental at autozone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I am ordering mine this week.

Can you link to the install how to please?

Never done springs before. Many other things, but not springs.

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
<snip>

It still has a slight forward rake @⅛" or 3mm but on a level surface the forward take increases to ¼ " or 6mm.
When you say "forward rake" do you mean reverse rake? Looks good overall, but maybe a little low in the rear. I'm planning on using the thicker upper rear spring pads (8J0 512 149).

Last edited:

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
When you say "forward rake" do you mean reverse rake? Looks good overall, but maybe a little low in the rear. I'm planning on using the thicker upper rear spring pads (8J0 512 149).
same here. Might add a bit of height in the back, harder rubber - for carrying things in wagon.