Check your license plate fasteners

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Just finally checked mine and dealer did the same thing with mine. When i come in for my oil change I'm going to make a sarcastic remark along the lines of "just a heads up, you guys shouldnt use long self tapping screws to secure the plates because it scratched my paint" and wait to see the look on the guys face and see what he has to say.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I too am appalled.

I just bought the Jetta TDI Wagon and found the same issues with the screws. I will report this when I rate the dealer. By not rating the salesman perfect I bet they change. I am going to try locating plastic small screws/bolts. Plastic won't rust and should hold with a nut bolt and washer. I am impressed with this website that you all care about the details like I do. I have used stainless in the past, but the screw needs to be less than 1/2" and grinding should not be necessary and can be dangerously sharp.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
I was so pissed today to remove the dealer plate frame and find that their screws were too long and left marks on the paint. I had been impressed that they used some nice looking torx screws, until I clues in. Same screws in the front.

I picked up a few #10 nylon screws at home depot and although the thread pitch wasn't exactly the same (did the best I could to match) they went in nicely and held tight. I threw on a transparent plate protector too - it makes it so much easier to keep the plate clean!

I plan to bring up the paint dings at my courtesy checkup, although I know they'll end up breaking my nylon fasteners if they are even willing to take the plate off and have a look. Sigh.

Idahosnoman

TDI
2010 Jetta
Front License Plate mounting

Anyone knkow the correct way to install the front license plate frame. Drill size, etc?

I know the frame will center itself with the bumper and locate it in the correct position, but what size of a drill do I use? I have 2 plastice plugs that are suppose to hole it on. Is this true?? Just looking for someone that has done this before.

The salesman gave me the frame for the front, and surprise to me, the "dealer" rear license frame on signage was held on with the factory machine screws:D . I will be purchasing some rubber washers with sticky back to place on the back of the plate to protect the paint from scratching the paint.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Speaking of the rear plate, my rubber washer trick hasn't worked out that well, so I ended up grinding down the tips of the screws.

-dan

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
I just had my front plate bracket and everything torn off at my first car wash with 243 miles on my car! I have no screws left to go by, What should I get from hardware store for both front and back? All that's left is Four holes in my front bumper and scratches from were screws from the plate rubbed my paint. But I do Have a TDI club rear cover on the way. But I need help with the sizes of screws i need for front as i have nothing left

VeeDubya

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon 6M BLK
Mine were the same way as the OP.

I was annoyed by the rattle of the rear plate when I closed the rear hatch and noticed they'd only put on 2 screws instead of 4, and also noticed the screws digging into my paint. I took it off and cut the screws with a hack saw so they didn't tough the steel/paint. I'm left with two spots now where the paint and probably the galvanizing are scratched off....I should report this to the dealer so if I ever get any corrosion they're on the hook for it.

I wasn't impressed...it's pretty obvious when screwing it on that the screws are interfering with the rear hatch.

JRSYJET

TDI
13 Passat TDI SE 6M
I'm gonna have to look at how the dealer's 'store tag is held in my rear license plate bracket. I haven't yet picked up my plates. "We can mail them,' they say. I'll pick 'em up, say I. Not sure yet what method I'll use to prevent any/further damage. I'm guessing that the guys who install plates just don't care...enough! -'JET