No Start

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
I bought the 2002 a short time ago with only one key. I had a guy in town make and program a new key for me. He had a lot of problems and even had the dash apart. After several attempts he finally took the speedo with the electronics on the back with him to Vegas where he knew a guy who runs a auction place that sells a lot of cars. He got the pin numbers and everything worked fine for a couple of weeks. Now the car won't start on either key, the message on the dash shows a bug with a key in it. The codes are in the car at his shop now but the other code is 01312, 'powertrain data bus faulty intermittent'. I'm not sure what to do now, worthless now! So much for a low mileage car. As last resort do you guys think I'll have to take it to a stealership or push it off a cliff! OR, is there a way to bypass this BS? Thanks, Glenn

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
You can immobilizer delete, but you'd have to send the ECU away.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to run position, leave it on for 10 minutes, then give it another try.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Someone who has VCDS and vag tacho should be able to setup the keys without issue.. its complicated but not rocket science.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Steve. You mean the ECU has to be reprogramed if the immobilizer is deleted? I'll give the 10 minutes a try when and if I get it back from the guy who is doing this 'key' thing for me. Seems like a real honest guy and knowable guy, even said he would not charge me to try again to get the keys to work. I have the VCDS but if the vag tacho is something separate then I don't have that. This 'guy' that's working on it has all kinds of equipment. You just gave me confidence that it can be fixed, thanks Steve.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The ECU is what actually shuts it off; the cluster TELLS it to shut off (or not.)

If you have the car's SKC you can reprogram the same keys or use new ones (never-programmed chips in said keys); the VagTacho program can extract the SKC from the cluster if you don't have it. But if there is a comms problem between the cluster and ECU then you'll still have problems because the ECU has to get a "key ok" signal from the cluster, and if it doesn't then the car will start but won't run, so in that case if you can't find and fix the comms problem the best option is to have the ECU immobilizer-deleted (then it doesn't care.)

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
You can immobilizer delete, but you'd have to send the ECU away.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to run position, leave it on for 10 minutes, then give it another try.
Where can the ECU be sent to if the other suggestions don't work?

The ECU is what actually shuts it off; the cluster TELLS it to shut off (or not.)

If you have the car's SKC you can reprogram the same keys or use new ones (never-programmed chips in said keys); the VagTacho program can extract the SKC from the cluster if you don't have it. But if there is a comms problem between the cluster and ECU then you'll still have problems because the ECU has to get a "key ok" signal from the cluster, and if it doesn't then the car will start but won't run, so in that case if you can't find and fix the comms problem the best option is to have the ECU immobilizer-deleted (then it doesn't care.)
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I guess the same question, where can the ECU be sent to?

Last edited:

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Can a tuner do it and who can do that? Thanks

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Honestly, you don't need an immo delete, you need someone who knows what they're doing. There was no reason at all to take the dash apart for this. Your code is explained here:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01312
Seriously. The immobilizer is a security feature. Why not fix it instead of get rid of it?

I don't know where you are in AZ, but if any of these guys are still in business they can fix you right up:
Exklusiv Motorsports, LLC
13011 N Cavecreek Rd
Phoenix AZ 85022l
www.exklusivmotorsports.com
derek@exklusivmotorsports.com (owner)

Independent Automotive Services

3800 N 7th Street
PHOENIX, AZ 85014
(602) 234-9783

Stutgart AutoHaus
Tucson AZ
520-884-8800

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link, when I get the car back I'll try the ross-tech link. I'm in western AZ so the problem is getting it to Phoenix or Tucson when it only runs 1/2 second. As far as the immobilizer, the car is 16 years old, who cares?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Worst case, you go to a local junkyard or find a used cluster on eBay have the immo deleted
and you’re good to go. There’s always a way to make these cars work.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Worst case, you go to a local junkyard or find a used cluster on eBay have the immo deleted
That's one of so many reasons to keep these cars...fuel mileage, reliability and used parts for decades...and most can be had at a reasonable price

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Get a ECU and/or cluster? Which one is the immo deleted?

That's one of so many reasons to keep these cars...fuel mileage, reliability and used parts for decades...and most can be had at a reasonable price

That's why I have four of them lol :)

yes, you'd need a tuner to do it.
Can you recommend a tuner?

Thanks everybody, happy thanksgiving!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You send out the ecu for the immo delete. You only need a new cluster if your old one proves defective. A new/used ecu can also be had from the junkyard or eBay.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I was looking on fleebay at a few. Can you recommend who to send the ecu too? And, if I get another ecu does it have to be auto trans compliant? Sorry about all these questions!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Yeah, I was looking on fleebay at a few. Can you recommend who to send the ecu too? And, if I get another ecu does it have to be auto trans compliant? Sorry about all these questions!
The ECU is separate from the transmission control unit...the only difference is the soft coding which can be changed with vagcom

I've only got 3(all 5 speeds) but one is in critical care at the moment...but I do have an entire engine and transmission that I've scrounged up over the years...part of the repair... transmission was bonus for 100 bux at the salvage yard...

Pretty sure Malone or kerma can immo delete...

Malone has some pretty snazzy additional options like dynamic EGR and a fast idle...

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
The ECU is separate from the transmission control unit...the only difference is the soft coding which can be changed with vagcom

I've only got 3(all 5 speeds) but one is in critical care at the moment...but I do have an entire engine and transmission that I've scrounged up over the years...part of the repair... transmission was bonus for 100 bux at the salvage yard...

Pretty sure Malone or kerma can immo delete...

Malone has some pretty snazzy additional options like dynamic EGR and a fast idle...

Yeah, this 2002 auto was bought because my wife is having trouble with her hip and doesn't want to shift anymore. I got the car with only 62K on it taking a chance that the auto will survive for awhile anyway. When buying it the test drive went great. Went to drive it home and it was loping and blowing black smoke. I replaced the map, vac lines and N75 and those problems went away. Now I have these problems. I just have to say that in 2002 I bought vag-com and have never used it that much because the bugs have run great. I guess its payback time, lol.

Thanks for the tuner suggestions, gives me a place to start. I have a tow dolley and Monday will tow it home.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
I sent Malone and Kerma a email but with the holidays I probably have to wait until next week for a reply. It would be nice to just be able to buy a ecu with the immo delete already done, lol.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Just an update. The guy who made the key found a bad ground under the dash and both keys then worked. The next morning the battery was dead. He then found that the immo in cluster and ecu was not turning off???? The ecu now is being sent out to delete the immo. What a nightmare!