OEM headunit upgrade ?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So I am hoping some of you might have done or know about upgrading the head units to a later version CarPlay/Android Auto unit. I really don't want to go over to VWVortex.

So I am seeing the RCD330 should be plug and play and offers up Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Has anyone done this? Seems to be a reasonable upgrade at $250-260 for the headunit.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I just ordered one myself yesterday. Should be here in about a week I guess. My 13 Golf has the stock RCD310 in it now.
Just make sure you buy the RCD330plus (It is the one with the part number ending in "B").
http://rcd330plus.com/showthread.php?tid=56
OMG awesome - if you could let me know how the install goes! Looks pretty straight forward and hoping it is just plug and play.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
I did one a month ago. Very easy install.
Maybe an entire 60 seconds.....

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
How is the overall performance? Any issues at all? Does it have an aux port on the unit and bluetooth built in? Did you have a factory backup cam, and does it still work?

I don't particularly care about the dashboard integration for the phone menu, but that VW media box in the armrest (that I relocated under the seat) just has got to GO. The aux port keeps being turned off in that box and there is a processing issue where it keeps changing the sound quality on me.

I'm debating between this option (way cheaper, possibly still fully VW compatible) and something from Alpine or Kenwood with the Maestro unit. That would be more expensive but could be wireless carplay and offer customization like changing the function on that voice-command steering wheel button.

So how do you like it?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I am reading everywhere that the RCD330 is a plug-N-play replacement of the factory RCD310, but in all of the videos it shows users having to install an adapter cable for the antenna connector.

Is this the case with all RCD330 installs, or only certain years, etc?

Tracking shows that my RCD330 is arriving tomorrow, and I don't have an adapter for the antenna...bugger.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
I am reading everywhere that the RCD330 is a plug-N-play replacement of the factory RCD310, but in all of the videos it shows users having to install an adapter cable for the antenna connector.

Is this the case with all RCD330 installs, or only certain years, etc?

Tracking shows that my RCD330 is arriving tomorrow, and I don't have an adapter for the antenna...bugger.
I will be very interested in your results for installing this. The antenna is less of a concern for me (I have an external XM radio already) but the backup camera MUST function. Please let everyone know how it works out for you!

I just drove back 3 hours today without any music, b/c the processing box AGAIN decided that the aux port didn't need to function. It does this randomly and there is no way to reset it. I'm done with this, it needs to go.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I will be very interested in your results for installing this. The antenna is less of a concern for me (I have an external XM radio already) but the backup camera MUST function. Please let everyone know how it works out for you!
According to the tracking, my RCD330 will be arriving today. My post above was a bit of a false alarm. I went back and read the info and in small print at the very bottom it did say that the antenna adapter was included, so I am all good. I technically don't need the antenna either...I mostly listen to Podcasts...but I do need/like to tune into the local News radio station during my commute every once in a while.

I can't speak to the back-up camera...my Golf is not equipped, but for replacing the plain Jane RCD310 that is in my car now all reports say that this thing just drops in place in a couple minutes and fires right up.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
OMG awesome - if you could let me know how the install goes! Looks pretty straight forward and hoping it is just plug and play.
I'm a few days late getting to this. The RCD330 was a day late showing up and I had to take off on a work trip for a couple days, so I didn't install it until this morning. As noted above, it literally installs in minutes...2 minutes...maybe 3...I dunno, but it's quick. A plastic panel removal tool and a Torx T20 screwdriver and it's done like dinner.

Basic setup was easy, even for a moron like me. The radio came with no instructions, but it was simple. The radio looks great, the Bluetooth works great, and the Apple CarPlay works great (First time user here). Had my radio stations and sound all setup in a couple minutes too.

Haven't tried the handsfree phone yet, but did try the hands free text and that seemed to work well.

Sturmeyhack

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Is the bluetooth built directly into the radio head unit?

Yes. If you have an external Bluetooth module from the old stereo you’ll have to unplug/remove it so you don’t have dueling Bluetooth setups. (Look under the passenger seat for a black styrophone box with a data cable sticking out of it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Unplugging that "media module" is no problem at all for me - My primary issue with the factory system is that module seems to have an issue and keeps (randomly) disabling the AUX port which I use extensively.

My only other question about this upgrade then is what my options are for the factory backup camera. I have it, want to keep it, and don't really relish the idea of trying to replace it and run custom wires to the back hatch for a Chinesium generic camera.

I have not yet been able to find an answer to that.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
My only other question about this upgrade then is what my options are for the factory backup camera. I have it, want to keep it, and don't really relish the idea of trying to replace it and run custom wires to the back hatch for a Chinesium generic camera.

I have not yet been able to find an answer to that.
The radio I purchased (RCD330 Plus) says that it is RVC (Rear View Camera) compatible, and it comes with a RVC adapter cable, but I can't comment on how well it works because I don't have a rear view camera.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
I've had the rcd330 187b noname in my 15 Jetta for over a year now. I love it, lots of comparable features to my Atlas SEL mib system software. And there are always new updates that you can flash to it. It's obviously not the same thing as a true mib system, but for the price it's pretty much a home run.
For the camera I tried 2 Chinese adaptors to make my factory rvc work but it never did. Went nearly a year without my rvc until I recently purchased a scosche adapter . http://rcd330plus.com/showthread.php?tid=1235 last post on page 1 I have a screenshot with the name and part number for the correct factory camera adapter that I used. If you're installing a new camera, you won't need this adapter, but will need a delay timer set to 8 seconds for it to work.
Explore the site in the link I posted, almost any question can be answered there. The site is run by some of the rcd sellers overseas. Good luck!

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Has anyone installed one of the RCD330 headhunts that has the factory DynAudio system?

Just doing a quick search, it seems hit or miss.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
For the camera I tried 2 Chinese adaptors to make my factory rvc work but it never did. Went nearly a year without my rvc until I recently purchased a scosche adapter . http://rcd330plus.com/showthread.php?tid=1235 last post on page 1 I have a screenshot with the name and part number for the correct factory camera adapter that I used. If you're installing a new camera, you won't need this adapter, but will need a delay timer set to 8 seconds for it to work.
Explore the site in the link I posted, almost any question can be answered there. The site is run by some of the rcd sellers overseas. Good luck!
Getting a bit into the technical here... I bought that adapter that you found worked, I have no problem finding a power and ground from the radio harness. What about the reverse signal, where did you source that from (or did you?) and here is the biggest issue - there is a plastic nub on the top of the 26 pin connector that blocks it being able to plug into the adapter socket. How did you get around that?

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
I took the red and yellow wires and have them wired to ignition power. The can signal triggers the camera when in reverse. As many others have it wired the same way as well.
Not sure what plastic nub you are referring to. Can you post a pic? Mine was all plug and play, just had to switch out the blue connector for rvc.

Last edited:

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Has anyone installed one of the RCD330 headhunts that has the factory DynAudio system?

Just doing a quick search, it seems hit or miss.

Bump to top for this answer.

I have the stock VW underseat amp, not DynAudio, and I can't get a clear answer on whether or not they work together.