3.0TDI GenII post Emissions Modification

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
^^Once you have reset all the adaptations I would also retrain the car by driving it hard occasionally or drive it in manual shift mode occasionally. The lag/surge behavior you reported is related to the throttle. Others who experienced it have said it goes away over time. If you keep trying to test the problem, you will, in fact, keep recreating it because of the way the throttle adaptation works. So, try the opposite tack of teaching the throttle how you want it to behave. This usually means not stabbing the pedal. Manual mode driving, sport mode driving, medium throttle driving as opposed to babying the throttle then mashing the throttle.

Also, chip tuners that don’t void the warranty, as mentioned elsewhere.

ivoking

TDI
2015 Audi A6
^^Once you have reset all the adaptations I would also retrain the car by driving it hard occasionally or drive it in manual shift mode occasionally. The lag/surge behavior you reported is related to the throttle. Others who experienced it have said it goes away over time. If you keep trying to test the problem, you will, in fact, keep recreating it because of the way the throttle adaptation works. So, try the opposite tack of teaching the throttle how you want it to behave. This usually means not stabbing the pedal. Manual mode driving, sport mode driving, medium throttle driving as opposed to babying the throttle then mashing the throttle.

Also, chip tuners that don’t void the warranty, as mentioned elsewhere.
Thank you. I will keep that in mind. The pedal trick to reset throttle adaptation did not do anything, car was still lethargic after starting. I will try to drive a bit different and see if that helps. Chip I will look into after Audi probably comes back and tells me to go pound salt.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
Yes, as I'm leaving the parking lot at work, it does that, but only for a short time. A block, at the very most.
My Cayenne has a similar behavior as well. Mostly noted when it's humid outside and oil temp is in the range 100-150F. Completely goes away once the engine is warmed up.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
A google search tells me you have diesel emissions in Colorado. Doing a delete of the system is then out of the question for you. Secondly, I just got a custom tune performed. I had a free audi care checkup. I was also testing the water to see if they would find the tune or not. Well they did. I knew they probably would, but I can't make use of the warranty anymore. Something I knew before doing the tune and was willing to accept. Not mad at all but glad I know how it would work out if something were to arise.
-Option 1 would be to stay on Audi to fix this under the warranty program.
-Option 2 say goodbye to the warranty, and get the car tuned and worked on by an independent shop. Which means you are footing the bill on everything.
-Look into the lemon laws as a third though outlandish idea?
Did you flash it back to stock when you took the car to the dealership?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Did you flash it back to stock when you took the car to the dealership?
No, they looked at the counter only. They said it didn't match what their system had on record for flash count and date. This car was a one owner lease from Audi. Probably a red flag that a car 3 weeks removed from being sold had different information.

They didn't dig any deeper. My point of the experiment was to confirm you are taking a chance with a tune. If you value the warranty I wouldn't want to go in their reflashed back to stock yet worrying you might not be covered.

Also, depends on the dealer some will be kind some will not. You can get an APR tune now at some Audi dealerships in Chicago.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
Thanks. Did they void powertrain warranty only or everything?