Got the "fix" friday, got P0401 code today :)

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
Hey Guys, as the title says, i got the "fix" done on my Audi on friday, and was driving into work today and what do you know, my CEL pops up for P0401....

Just a bit of background on the car, i had a Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune running when dropped off, ive got a cracked DPF and baked on soot on the tail pipe that i tried cleaning off with brake cleaner, and P0401 codes that pop up every day after i clear them. When i droped the car off to get the "fix" i cleared the codes 3 times that morning.

So ive been wondering these last few days, what the dealer did to stop my CEL from lighting up. It was pointed out on another thread that the "fix" would increase the values that would triggger a P0401 code

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I hope others report post-fix CEL issues as well. I think it's important we play extremely hard ball with dealers for quite a while after the fixes are completed.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I hope others report post-fix CEL issues as well. I think it's important we play extremely hard ball with dealers for quite a while after the fixes are completed.
When I read warranty there is language in there that says all disputes will be in favor of customer so Once fix is done I think VW is on the hook

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Hey Guys, as the title says, i got the "fix" done on my Audi on friday, and was driving into work today and what do you know, my CEL pops up for P0401....

Just a bit of background on the car, i had a Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune running when dropped off, ive got a cracked DPF and baked on soot on the tail pipe that i tried cleaning off with brake cleaner, and P0401 codes that pop up every day after i clear them. When i droped the car off to get the "fix" i cleared the codes 3 times that morning.

So ive been wondering these last few days, what the dealer did to stop my CEL from lighting up. It was pointed out on another thread that the "fix" would increase the values that would triggger a P0401 code
Your dpf is cracked and even though they replaced egr filter the low pressure egr mounted on the egr cooler is stuck. On their dime. Bring it back.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
On their dime unless they prove it was broken before the warranty was extended, but then they should have denied the warranty extension if they dug into it.

Best of luck report back, your results. I bet you get a whole new exhaust system on VW dime.

skycrane

TDI
cleared the codes yesterday on the drive home, and they showed back up this morning. it was 5 days for the first codes to come back, less then a day this time. Im definalty having them replace it. i bet as hard as i drive it, i can get this new one to crack before the extend warrenty expires as well... hehe

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hello NoVA neighbor and fellow SDL owner!

I think we're going to be seeing more stories like this as VW struggles to keep cars CEL-free during the extended warranty period.

skycrane

TDI
hey Neghibor.. ill be taking it to the dealer who did the " fix" on tuesday. And let yall know what they say.... luckily its the Low Flow EGR code, so that is definatly under the new warrenty hehe

skycrane

TDI
just an update, been driving the car all weekend, and now the CEL is going on then off, then comming back on again. Hopefully when i bring it by today they can read the stored codes in it and will be able to fix it. lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm surprised they fixed the car. I guess clearing the codes multiple times and the oven cleaner "fix" on the DPF got the preexisting failure past VW. I'll be interested in how they respond when you bring it back.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I was thinking about doing the same thing. VW should include 10-14 to replace the DPF like for the 09. My question is can Jeff undo all the changes they made to the ECM and put back his tunes

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Who is "Jeff"? Who provided the previous tune?
I believe they mean jeff of "rocket chip" He does some mighty fine tunes.. Did my 2000 jetta about 10 years ago and it flies and gets fantastic mpg" also!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Keep in mind that if you brought your car in for the "fix" and it bore any evidence of DPF issues - be it stored or pending trouble codes or visible soot in the tailpipe or any other such thing - the dealer and/or technician did you a MAJOR favor by choosing to overlook whatever that evidence was, so don't complain about it!

Drive it around for a month or two, bring it back with the MIL on and trouble code set for them to fix, and bring coffee and donuts for the technician and service advisor ...

And as usual, I would STRONGLY advise against any aftermarket tuning on these cars until your new extended warranty has passed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And as usual, I would STRONGLY advise against any aftermarket tuning on these cars until your new extended warranty has passed.
I'd rephrase that to say "if you plan to take advantage of the extended warranty."

skycrane

TDI
Just an update, the Audi SA [Stupid Ass] called me back today and said the car is finally done. Even with a stored P0401 code and the CEL on, he told me that the DPF filter was clogged, so they ran the car at a high idle for like 30 min then let it cool down, put some sort of cleaner in it, cleared the codes, then ran it agaiin for 45min at very high idle, and cleared the codes again.

He said it ran good after that, so i asked that this is all covered under the warrenty right? he was like NO, but ill take care of you.... *** does that mean its not covered ?]]

looks like this might be a reacurring problem with the "fix"

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
All I have to say is WoW. Don't let them off the hook. :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does a regen and DPF cleaner help a clogged EGR filter which is the real issue of the P401 code?

I'd say you'll be back with the code in under a week, can you try another dealer?

skycrane

TDI

this is a pic of the work order less than 20 miles before the light came on again

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'm surprised they fixed the car. I guess clearing the codes multiple times and the oven cleaner "fix" on the DPF got the preexisting failure past VW. I'll be interested in how they respond when you bring it back.
Indigo, I have a P0401 CEL right now, have had it for the past year or so. What kind of screening is VW doing before the emissions fix? Are they going to try to charge me money for fixing the EGR problem before they perform the emissions fix? Now you've got me worried...

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Cleaning a DPF will not fix a cracked DPF! So if the tail pipe has soot in it the DPF is cracked and the EGR filter will get blocked up and give P0401 code in short time.
The should be on the hook for all the cracked DPF any way they ran them hot with the cheat software but no one took a close look at that.
So I see 2 ways to go hear shut off the P0401 code ( MY Fix ) and clean the tail pipe and hope they are wearing dark sun glasses. and drive for a month then go back for the added warranty.
or let them rob you of your $5000+ goodwill money !!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

this is a pic of the work order less than 20 miles before the light came on again

maybe if they do the same procedure again it'll correct the issue? :D

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I don't see why Dr. Bob's solution would not work. Put his filter on, clean your exhaust with brake parts cleaner clear the codes with VCDS (including any faults or things in the different modules) drive it around so it gets readiness for OBD II and take it in.

Personally, I had a cracked DPF and an active code. My DPF cracked within 3 months of getting the software update that cooked the DPFs. I am happy to say that my car , all the problems with the DPF, all the problems with VW pushing down software that destroys DPFs and not owning up to that fact went to the smelter on Valentines Day when the car was crushed

skycrane

TDI
for me brake cleaner didnt touch the soot that was baked on the tail pipe. Im pretty sure the DPF has been cracked for 60k miles. When i brought it in, i cleared the codes with a generic code reader 3 times and they did the "fix" for me....

UPDATE.... the SA called this morning and said that ive got an appointment on tue to get the CEL fixed again. This time, the Service Manager is going to help the tech do it... lol so ill let yall know what happens then. Lucky for me the dealer in less then a minute out of my way home so its no big deal to drop it off.

Does anyone know if when the dealer reads the codes to the car, if they keep a record of the codes that were on it?

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
My gut (not sure) is that they do a general scan (OBD II) scan and then they scan the modules. I am no expert in VW ECMs but I think if you clear the modules in VCDS and have a clean tailpipe for their visual check your good to go. Honestly I would get some high temp silver spray paint and mask the soot.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Indigo, I have a P0401 CEL right now, have had it for the past year or so. What kind of screening is VW doing before the emissions fix? Are they going to try to charge me money for fixing the EGR problem before they perform the emissions fix? Now you've got me worried...
From what I've read it depends on the dealer. They look for stored fault codes, that much I know. If you clear the codes prior to your recall visit but a dealer discovers a visibly cracked DPF I'm not sure how they will respond. Some may refuse to perform the fix unless you replace the DPF at your expense. Others may try and warranty the DPF repair as part of the fix.

Clearly the OP Is hoping for the latter.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Update just talked with tech at a VW dealer

They check the dash light, on scan it and stick it to you!!
No light look over must have no racy parts on car look stock
install all fix parts flash updated software perform road test?
as of now the DPF is not on the extended warranty parts list I guss VW do not think its a emission device !!!

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Update just talked with tech at a VW dealer

They check the dash light, on scan it and stick it to you!!
No light look over must have no racy parts on car look stock
install all fix parts flash updated software perform road test?
as of now the DPF is not on the extended warranty parts list I guss VW do not think its a emission device !!!
Who told you dpf is not covered? The warrenty specifically lists the dpf as a covered part. My paperwork I recieved after my gen 1 fix stated that vehicle was scanned and road tested and it performs as vw intended. To me that means if a emmisions part fails now I am covered. None of this bs from the dealer. Also warrenry book states all disputes will be settles in favor of customer.