Pd130 intake vs stock intake

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
I have a pd130 which I would like to replace the stock manifold with. The engine is out of the car. Does the manifold just bolt right up or are there things that need to be done to accommodate it in the engine and in the engine bay?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
It’ll bolt to the head, but you’ll need a race pipe, unless you’re planning on getting the egr to work.

-Todd

81dzlcaddy

TDI
caddy idi 1.6
I have one on my 98 ahu. I didn't install it but from the looks of it straight bolt up to head. Have to delete egr or fabricate a way to use it. Mine was deleted. the inlet of the intake you will have to fabricate either an adapter to hook in to the original intake pipe coming from the intercooler (that was how they did mine) or sky's the limit on how you want to do it. I would like to get another pd130 intake for another ahu i have that will be soon transplanted in to my mk1 truck. I will say I do prefer this intake to the stock intake. If i wasnt in wyoming right now i would grab you pictures of how it was done to help

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have a PD150, its the same part basically
it will fit on the AHU and the ALH and most TDI 8 valve engines like the BEW and so forth.
the only thing i have ran across after doing this 4 times is that each one i buy regardless of 130 or 150, left or right had is that i must file off about 1/8" on a few spots where it hits the stock manifold for the exhaust, its really easy to file down to fit and its just a small spot on the inner 2 runners.
you WILL need to adapt the pd150 to the stock hose, i have a race pipe i made, its a bit jank but your welcome to it for a few bucks with shipping seeing as a proper egr delete race pips is about $100+

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
on the stock engine, NO, nothing at all but with my old evry mod, yea i made a few extra HP but 5HP give or take is not worth nothing. I did jump up in MOG but that was because the stock was clogged and EGR was leaking BAD. I did have a CEL on for years due to the EGR delete. TDI's are mod happy and every engine mod you do compounds into the next. yea the intake will add a few Newtons here and there on top of every mod and becomes necessary after a bit of work. Tune, nozzles and a clutch and this part shines.
The issue with the Stock intake on the AHU is that it robs the side pistons something fierce and the PD150

If your going to do some light modding and tuning its great and easy to install properly now vs in place. Its impossible to get a torque wrench back there once its in and mine leaked oil a bit from the CCV. But once i had the head of and had it torqued properly, no more leaks.

My 0.02 is to do it now regardless of your future plans. You can get the EGR for it if you want.

Visually i loved the way it looks so yes i would say its noticeable lol.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
One thing you will want to plan for is cleaning the ports in the head if there is carbon buildup. You don’t want to disturb that sediment and have a chunk break off and brick your engine, doesn’t take much to stick a valve open just that tiny bit.

People have recommended closing the intake valves by rotating the engine (verify with valve cover off) then using making tape, long scrapers and pipe scrubbers from harbor freight and compressed air to clean all the carbon out to clean the ports before just slapping the new intake on. I would also recommend new hardware for the manifold and of course a new gasket.

It is also near impossible to remove the manifold without removing the EGR so plan for that as well, not only will you need to re-route coolant hoses if you delete the EGR but you will also need to account for the fact that there is no longer an EGR valve for the vacuum hose to attach to.

Finally a lot of the race pipes out there are not optimized for the AHU. If you are sticking with the stock boost piping, it is slightly smaller in diameter (around 51-52mm) than the average race pipe OD of about 57mm. This prevents the use of which stock boost rubber elbow. What you need is a 45° boost hose that also steps down the two sizes. Here is a link for the one that I plan to use, eyeballing it it seems to match up. You’ll of course also need appropriate hose clamps... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EV6OS60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rFAdDbBQJEVK8