1996 Passat B4V A/C condenser replacement

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
With my 1996 B4V - I'm getting ready to replace the AC condenser. Do I go at it from the front and remove the front grill bumper and support there or do I go at it from the engine bay and remove the fans radiator and support there to get to it so that I can change it out with new? What are some tips and or things I should know - thanks for your help!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you can do both, but the eisiest way is to slide id up from underneath, just cover it in cardboard and tape first that you can EASILY remove afterwards to keep things and it from getting jacked up

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
a few tips, use nitrogen to purge the lines, not compressed air
Make sure the dryer is the LAST thing you install and preferably purging with nitrogen as you do once you remove the caps or just do it really fast and pull a vacuum. there is a desiccant packet in the dryer filter and it must stay away from open air otherwise its trash. they are filled with nitrogen from the factory and why they have caps on them. reusing the old dryer is not worth it as it will not do didly squat.
Replace all your orings and dont trust the PAG oil level, purge all the lines and drain the compressor and fill with measured oil.
Weight in your charge, no additives, and make sure you purge your lines when charging or vac if you have a 4 port gauge manifold.
Happy to help but dont half ass it or you will be doing this again very soon.
it helps to charge with nitrogen to test for leaks too

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
There is a big plastic shroud that bolts to the front of the radiator using the same 4 bolts that piggybacks the condenser to the front of the radiator, assuming this part is still intact and you want to keep it that way, then the only way it can all come out is to pull the bumper and work at it like a gentleman. If you are using an aftermarket condenser one of the mounts will have to be modified to get the correct factory fit of the plastic shroud OVER the condenser mounts. I've done this twice over the years on a B4 and had the same problem each time. Best thing to do is to fit up the radiator, new condenser and plastic shroud flat on a bench and you'll quickly see what needs to be done and be in a much better working position to craft a lasting solution.